Funeral Plans

Old Dec 11th 2017, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Funeral Plans

Has anybody recently researched taking out a funeral plan (planning to die in Spain, hopefully not soon!) - best companies, prices / options?

Is it worth doing?

Thanks.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 4:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funeral Plans

Here's a very recent thread on the subject. There is also an older one.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 5:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Has anybody recently researched taking out a funeral plan (planning to die in Spain, hopefully not soon!) - best companies, prices / options?

Is it worth doing?

Thanks.

Just my opinion, but I don't understand why anyone would want a funeral plan.

I guess it's different for me in that I and those around me all speak Spanish so that's not an issue.

It's SO much more expensive to have a plan that just to pay for it when it happens.

A few years ago, a cremation of a friend cost around 1500€ (from elsewhere people are quoting 3000€ but I think that's overpriced). Funeral directors here are very helpful and do most of the work for you.

I wouldn't want to be taken back to UK so that's a great saving .
Old Dec 11th 2017, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks, sorry I missed the earlier thread.

I am not convinced either, maybe just the convenience for Uk based relatives might be useful. 1500€ that seems a bargain.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I get the point that it may be a bit dearer. Of course it could be sorted out by others once you are gone maybe a partner, husband or wife and yes if one is fluent without doubt that would make it easier. But being fluent yourself if you are the one passed on it isn't really much help at all. So from that point of view and fact that as one gets older things that were relatively easy can become not so easy, I also get that some people just like the peace of mind that these plans can give. So as always it is really down to horses for courses I suppose.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute

Most of what I read about Funeral Plans are concerned with traditional funerals. My husband and I have no religion and are totally unconcerned about how our bodies are disposed of. We have told both our children we want "Direct Disposal": the funeral director gets the necessary certificates and takes you straight to a crematorium and that's it. No service, no ashes. Less than £1000 (I've seen £850 quoted). Suits us. Is there anything similar in Spain?
Old Dec 11th 2017, 8:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I get the point that it may be a bit dearer. ....
Some can be a lot more than "so bit dearer". Some are structured as an insurance policy, so (i) you keep on paying, otherwise your "covetage" lapses, and (ii) there is no accumulated savings or cash-in value - stop paying and you get nothing, even if you have paid in for 20+ years and have already paid two or three times the fair price of a funeral.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, money aside for a moment. Most ex pats live here as couples. You log off this site, get up to put the kettle on, and drop down stone dead. (Can happen, sadly but obviously) Can your surviving partner kick into gear amongst all the shock and sudden loss on their own, knowing that the funeral could be in 72 hours? Our plan includes everything to manage that situation from the off. Yes, I hope to live long enough to 'over pay' into it, but give not one jot about that. If you don't understand why I would want the pressure taken off in the event of my death, just leave an envelope containing at least 2000 euros under your matrimonial matress or something !!!!!!
Old Dec 11th 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by lurchio
Okay, money aside for a moment. Most ex pats live here as couples. You log off this site, get up to put the kettle on, and drop down stone dead. (Can happen, sadly but obviously) Can your surviving partner kick into gear amongst all the shock and sudden loss on their own, knowing that the funeral could be in 72 hours? Our plan includes everything to manage that situation from the off. Yes, I hope to live long enough to 'over pay' into it, but give not one jot about that. If you don't understand why I would want the pressure taken off in the event of my death, just leave an envelope containing at least 2000 euros under your matrimonial matress or something !!!!!!
You might not care, but whatever you (over) pay comes directly out of the savings of your widow(er)!

Surely a meeting with a local undertaker now, while you are of sound mind and healthy, to draw up draft plans, and set a budget, is a more practical and cost-effective solution than throwing money at a funeral plan seller?
Old Dec 11th 2017, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Some can be a lot more than "so bit dearer". Some are structured as an insurance policy.
Yes some are but not all some you pay X amount that's it. As Lurchio says it can simply give peace of mind rather than leave your loved ones trying to sort it out. It simply comes down to personal choice.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 10:02 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

I think maybe there's another point; it is the way they do things here that can be confusing. Not knowing what is expected puts you at a disadvantage even if you are fluent and can keep your concentration when your partner has died. It is all the complicated procedures that you don't realise that have to be done; that's where the funeral companies excel.

A friend with excellent holiday insurance died in bed in a hotel in Portugal; the hotel manager looked after everything including repatriation of the body. That help was truly priceless

Davexf
Old Dec 11th 2017, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

I think maybe there's another point; it is the way they do things here that can be confusing. Not knowing what is expected puts you at a disadvantage even if you are fluent and can keep your concentration when your partner has died. It is all the complicated procedures that you don't realise that have to be done; that's where the funeral companies excel.

A friend with excellent holiday insurance died in bed in a hotel in Portugal; the hotel manager looked after everything including repatriation of the body. That help was truly priceless

Davexf
You are absolute right, but "needing a funeral company" isn't the same as needing to fork out for a "funeral plan".
Old Dec 12th 2017, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Personal choice as ever, simple as that.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Just my opinion, but I don't understand why anyone would want a funeral plan.

I guess it's different for me in that I and those around me all speak Spanish so that's not an issue.
Bit of a dumb statement !! The majority of Spaniards speak spanish and they're happy to have funeral policies.

It amuses me that the immigrants posting on here think that life in Spain revolves around the ability to speak spanish - must be to do with inferior complex, I guess.

Anyway, it's a no brainer to have a funeral policy. As a couple we have one. At the moment it costs a grand total of 60 euros per YEAR. For ten years cover that's 600 euros (it does increase with age). So, for the next 30 years that's 1800 euros. I'll be 78 then. All you people will be dead, rofl.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 8:30 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
Bit of a dumb statement !! The majority of Spaniards speak spanish and they're happy to have funeral policies.

It amuses me that the immigrants posting on here think that life in Spain revolves around the ability to speak spanish - must be to do with inferior complex, I guess.

Anyway, it's a no brainer to have a funeral policy. As a couple we have one. At the moment it costs a grand total of 60 euros per YEAR. For ten years cover that's 600 euros (it does increase with age). So, for the next 30 years that's 1800 euros. I'll be 78 then. All you people will be dead, rofl.
What an absolute idiot you're proving to be .....

Brits (in general) who don't speak Spanish are at an instant disadvantage.

With the Spanish, it's a cultural thing that they are bought a funeral plan at a very early age - CULTURAL. Nothing to do with wanting one.

As for it being a "no brainer", as you put it, maybe for you that's true. But if one stopped and thought about it, it would be more sensible to simply put that amount aside.

My advice is to choose a funeral director carefully - using recommendations of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.