Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Spain

Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:35 pm   #31
Forum Regular

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funeral Plan

I understand your situation, as a couple we are the same. With due respect to my wife, I do all the 'official' things. We all have a 'safe place' for important docs etc. We therefore have a 'Dead folder' in our file box (excuse my black humour) which is a complete guide / set of documents / will copies and Policies to not only my wife, but our kids in case we both die at the same time. Our kids know thats where to go,they have been shown it on visits. Obviously, no pin numbers etc., keep those separate. Peace of mind.
lurchio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:47 pm   #32

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxf View Post
Hola

One point I will make is that a friend, fluent in Spanish, lost her mother aged 70+ but was very happy not to have to speak Spanish and think about things that needed to be done.

She said that her mind just could not think of the right words due to the stress of her mother dying.

Davexf
Totally agree, I could not tell the funeral director my name, just sat there looking at him as though he had asked me a really difficult question.

Rosemary

Beware of false knowledge. It is more dangerous than ignorance. George Bernard Shaw

Be thankful for the difficult people in your life, for they have shown you exactly who you do not want to be.
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:57 pm   #33
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchio View Post
I understand your situation, as a couple we are the same. With due respect to my wife, I do all the 'official' things. We all have a 'safe place' for important docs etc. We therefore have a 'Dead folder' in our file box (excuse my black humour) which is a complete guide / set of documents / will copies and Policies to not only my wife, but our kids in case we both die at the same time. Our kids know thats where to go,they have been shown it on visits. Obviously, no pin numbers etc., keep those separate. Peace of mind.
In the process of (slowly) putting together this type of list myself. In the depths of the night two things happen:-
1. I think of something to add
2. The need seems to become more urgent as thoughts of my mortality come into my mind during this period.
Am I alone in this or weird or what? Wonder sometimes.
Thanks again.
Countryboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st 2017, 2:01 pm   #34
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
Totally agree, I could not tell the funeral director my name, just sat there looking at him as though he had asked me a really difficult question.

Rosemary
Without going into detail, I dealt with many deaths during my working life including on a personal level the death of my first wife some 17 years ago. Although it wasn't unexpected I know what I had to go through and I am a cool, disciplined organised type. Or at least I used to be!
Old Oct 1st 2017, 4:38 pm   #35
Forum Regular

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy1 View Post
Without going into detail, I dealt with many deaths during my working life including on a personal level the death of my first wife some 17 years ago. Although it wasn't unexpected I know what I had to go through and I am a cool, disciplined organised type. Or at least I used to be!
That aspect of your make up will recede if you are settled out here. I am glad it has for me to be honest, and I know what you mean, I was a Police Accident Investigator for several years (too many I now appreciate).
You will still 'kick into gear' in a crisis, but it will be in a different way. That was sad about your wife, I am sorry.

Like I said, do it, tick all the boxes,lodge it and get on with living.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 6:46 pm   #36
BE Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchio View Post
That aspect of your make up will recede if you are settled out here. I am glad it has for me to be honest, and I know what you mean, I was a Police Accident Investigator for several years (too many I now appreciate).
You will still 'kick into gear' in a crisis, but it will be in a different way. That was sad about your wife, I am sorry.

Like I said, do it, tick all the boxes,lodge it and get on with living.
I think we have quite a bit in common. BTW At a station where I used to work many years ago there was a radio operator we nicknamed Lurch or, coincidentally, Lurchio!
Not you is it Dave?

Also, thanks for your condolences.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 8:17 pm   #37
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy1 View Post
I think we have quite a bit in common. BTW At a station where I used to work many years ago there was a radio operator we nicknamed Lurch or, coincidentally, Lurchio!
Not you is it Dave?

Also, thanks for your condolences.

No, luckily I have never been 'inside' working and would have lacked the patience to be a Radio Operator! I was given 'Lurch' on my first day (6'6"), and it stuck for 30 years. Could have been worse, as you probably know............. Only got softened to Lurchio after 'Up Pompeii' with Frankie Howard!!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 12:54 pm   #38
Forum Regular

dougal03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone posted earlier that they picked Avalon because the plan covers UK also.Just had to look at my Golden Leaves plan.That states Spain & UK(or I think you can pick a 2nd.alternative country)plus they plant a sapling.So either company seem much the same unless like myself,you like the idea of a new tree!
dougal03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Spain