Funeral Plan

Old Sep 30th 2017, 5:31 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funeral Plan

We took out an insurance that states exactly what is covered (and what's not)
Suits us and can be cancelled after a year should options/things change, we started with a Mapfre policy but have now changed to a more competitive policy from elsewhere.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 6:13 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Thanks very much for that. Much to think about. I agree, don’t think money, though important of course, is the total picture. Peace of mind is a factor also I think.
It depends on what your income is.
My neighbour was just about surviving on a tiny UK Widow's Pension and what she paid into her Plan could have provided better nourishment and home comforts over the years. But she wanted to save her children from having to fork out.... Her reimbursed lump sum afforded her a better life before her children whisked her back to the UK.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
It depends on what your income is.
My neighbour was just about surviving on a tiny UK Widow's Pension and what she paid into her Plan could have provided better nourishment and home comforts over the years. But she wanted to save her children from having to fork out.... Her reimbursed lump sum afforded her a better life before her children whisked her back to the UK.
Thanks for that.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

A friend used Golden Leaves for her mother's funeral a few years ago and it was just what she wanted. They also helped her out recently when her cousin was over from the UK on a visit and unexpectedly died without a plan which I thought was very good. Avalon and Golden Leaves are a pre-paid funeral not an insurance policy. We were with a local Spanish company paying insurance premiums each year which were going up and up and would have to continue to be paid each year no matter how long we live. It was also not transferable if we went back to the UK later in life so we thought this was a waste of money. After hearing about Golden Leaves we looked into pre-paid. We eventually went with Avalon as they arranged for them to be available in both the UK and Spain as though we spend time in each country (we did have to give a UK address for the UK end so used my sister-in-law's one). Apparently this would save on admin costs if we did move back. We are paying over a couple of years so the cost is a little higher (as we expected it would be) but once it is paid for all we have to do is produce the card for the relevant funeral place when one of us dies and it is all taken care of.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that very comprehensive and useful response. I must admit I thought Avalon had ceased and merged or been taken over by Golden Leaves. Avalon still have a website so this appears not to be the case. Perhaps I’m confusing this with something else.
Anyway, thanks again. Mulch appreciated.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:05 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Buy shares instead - and might i suggest a company called dignity - they own most of the ‘independant’ undertakers and as a company are profitable.... of just put 1k each into diageo, bat, unilever and fullers smith and turner, beer booze fags and crisps!
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

From finance point of view no doubt correct but I think many are more concerned in the fact that all gets sorted and arranged when they are gone and not left to family left behind to sort out. Horses for courses as always.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

By the way if you are the deceased you are hardly going to profit from the income you made as there are no pockets in shrouds and no need for money where you are heading!
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Buy shares instead - and might i suggest a company called dignity - they own most of the ‘independant’ undertakers and as a company are profitable.... of just put 1k each into diageo, bat, unilever and fullers smith and turner, beer booze fags and crisps!
Not a useful response may I suggest except perhaps for the suggestion regarding dignity although the I cannot find a Spanish link for them. However correct you may be in financial terms, my concern is to leave my wife with the least possible worry and trauma concerning my funeral arrangements, bearing in mind the loss she will be feeling.
I doubt the existence of successful share dividends will be of much emotional comfort to her and much reassurance to me.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

My concern is to leave my wife with the least possible worry and trauma concerning my funeral arrangements, bearing in mind the loss she will be feeling.
I doubt the existence of successful share dividends will be of much emotional comfort to her and much reassurance to me.

And that is exactly what you need to focus on. Your choice of course, and a personal choice at that. Can you manage enough Spanish to get things done properly? Some on this forum are really good speakers, so not a consideration / impact factor to them, but maybe for you. Do you have the 'wedge' to deposit large sums? Ask yourself, if the worse happened TOMORROW whilst in Spain, whats the best option for YOU and YOURS. This is not as aspect to speculate or corner cut, although I get the feeling from you that is not your outlook anyway. Sounds old fashioned but I have a duty to my wife and family to take the strain off when I peg it, no 'ifs or buts'. My plan (Meridiano) also incorporates Accidental death cover at 18000 euros and we both are covered for 22 euros per month total, all included, even flowers. In other words, two menu del dias. I am 60 now and will be 'out of pocket' contributions to costs wise by the time I am too old to give a cr*p anyway! Hey, if I peg it this week, we are in profit!

Expect the worse, plan for the best outcome that suits you and your circumstances. Whatever happens, do it soonest, finish it so you are both happy and then get on with your lives and living.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lurchio
And that is exactly what you need to focus on. Your choice of course, and a personal choice at that. Can you manage enough Spanish to get things done properly? Some on this forum are really good speakers, so not a consideration / impact factor to them, but maybe for you. Do you have the 'wedge' to deposit large sums? Ask yourself, if the worse happened TOMORROW whilst in Spain, whats the best option for YOU and YOURS. This is not as aspect to speculate or corner cut, although I get the feeling from you that is not your outlook anyway. Sounds old fashioned but I have a duty to my wife and family to take the strain off when I peg it, no 'ifs or buts'. My plan (Meridiano) also incorporates Accidental death cover at 18000 euros and we both are covered for 22 euros per month total, all included, even flowers. In other words, two menu del dias. I am 60 now and will be 'out of pocket' contributions to costs wise by the time I am too old to give a cr*p anyway! Hey, if I peg it this week, we are in profit!

Expect the worse, plan for the best outcome that suits you and your circumstances. Whatever happens, do it soonest, finish it so you are both happy and then get on with your lives and living.
Thanks for that, useful as have been your previous responses. Just one point, it’s not a question of whether I have enough Spanish to get things done properly. In our household I arrange everything and am responsible for most things including our online banking and other online matters. In addition, she does not drive, so if we or she has to go somewhere I have to drive us/her. Bearing all things in mind, I want to make the immediate necessary arrangements following my demise as easy for my wife to cope with as is possible.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, useful as have been your previous responses. Just one point, it’s not a question of whether I have enough Spanish to get things done properly. In our household I arrange everything and am responsible for most things including our online banking and other online matters. In addition, she does not drive, so if we or she has to go somewhere I have to drive us/her. Bearing all things in mind, I want to make the immediate necessary arrangements following my demise as easy for my wife to cope with as is possible.
We made up a pack with loads of information in it which I used when my husband died. Every possible thing was looked into, including where we would be cremated which was due to the fact that we had looked up possibilities and selected the one nearest to our town. However, in the mean time another crematorium had been built near to the hospital where my husband died and that was the only change that occurred.

It is so sensible to sort out all of the things that you possibly can whilst you are calm and collected about it rather than when there is an issue because you can be logical and not emotional. Too many people will not talk to each other about the emotive subject of death, funeral and life without the other half but it is so important. A list of who to contact, their contact details, when to do it, who needs a death certificate, who simply needs to be informed etc etc.

As a bereavement counsellor I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to be prepared because the vast majority of my clients have said that they did not know what to do, where to turn and that this had affected their grieving process in a very negative way.

Rosemary
Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much Rosemary. I know you have sadly been through this experience, so I value your comments greatly.
Thanks again.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:31 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

One point I will make is that a friend, fluent in Spanish, lost her mother aged 70+ but was very happy not to have to speak Spanish and think about things that needed to be done.

She said that her mind just could not think of the right words due to the stress of her mother dying.

Davexf
Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

One point I will make is that a friend, fluent in Spanish, lost her mother aged 70+ but was very happy not to have to speak Spanish and think about things that needed to be done.

She said that her mind just could not think of the right words due to the stress of her mother dying.

Davexf
Thanks for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.