Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Free Healthcare? We hope!

Free Healthcare? We hope!

Old Sep 6th 2017, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Healthcare? We hope!

Originally Posted by bobd22
To be honest I am not sure that Davis understands the S1 system? It may be that they are hoping to keep both S1 and ehic much the same but it certainly is far from clear. They should be sorting out the S1 as this phase of negotiations is supposed to be about the very issue of citizens resident in EU and the payment to be made. They did say initially in their outline that they intended to retain S1 system but even that was not clear if that was just for those currently on S1 or if those on attaining retirement age would get it.

For the life of me, I cannot find FIRM answers to the S1 question, other than in respect of Pensioners NOW receiving it being covered after Brexit. Davis probably has a minion somewhere that's part of his team and knows all about it, but Davis is the spokesman. (God help us!). Assume the worse, hope for the best then.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
For the life of me, I cannot find FIRM answers to the S1 question, other than in respect of Pensioners NOW receiving it being covered after Brexit. Davis probably has a minion somewhere that's part of his team and knows all about it, but Davis is the spokesman. (God help us!). Assume the worse, hope for the best then.
I think you are right he hasn't got a clue he probably thinks all Expat pensioners simply use Ehic! If they are saying that pensioners will continue to get a EU wide Ehic even if not pensionable age currently, you could presume that S1 will continue as to get an Ehic pensioner must have an s1? But as you say that has not been actually said or explained.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

And we should remember that IF the future S1 system becomes a 'casualty'of Brexit and leaving the EU,we will have definitely been sold out.Always remembering that it is a specific bilateral agreement and actually little to do with EU membership as such. This fact seems to have been blurred in all the diatribe.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:43 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
Hardly related to the discussion. Splitting hairs will not eleviate our concern over health care. Free health care is " health care which is not charged for, at the point of contact etc".( prescription charges excepted!)
Hmmm... Funny, I've never paid one cent at "point of contact etc" in Spain or in Germany.

With regards to relevance, it seems apparent to me that you'll just need to have health insurance like everyone else. Being British won't exempt you from that.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

In all fairness, I have attended a few local seminars and the local (Alicante) consulate staff do seem to understand what we have and what we want (ie to keep all) whether those in Whitehall understand/care is another issue.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Some hard facts, at least on August 31st !

Page 11 refers to health care.

Not enough posts to post a link but i'm sure you can work it out for yourselves

h.t.t.p.s://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/joint_table_citizens_rights_-_third_round.pdf

or Google joint_table_citizens_rights-third round.pdf !

Last edited by Notdunroamin; Sep 14th 2017 at 7:10 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

and a response from the pressure group 'British in Europe'

h.t.t.p.s://britishineurope.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/BiE_the3million_Joint-Response-to-round-3_FINAL.pdf
Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of this thread concerns S1 for pensioners. What about S1 for people who are in receipt of a contribution based benefit and are not pensioners. My son aged 16 (as well as my two other children and husband) are my dependents and have an S1 "pensioner" medical card.

My youngest son has been diagnosed with a long term illness and the cost of the medication would be out of our reach if the S1 is cancelled. One of his medication can only be prescribed and collected from the hospital pharmacy. If I had to pay for these injections it would cost me 540 euros for each injection. And he has four a month.

Despite the limit each month you have to pay up to (I think 16 euros) this does not always happens. Some months I can pay over 100 euros but other months the limits are "working".

If the S1 was cancelled for people who are receipt of contribution based benefits we would have to return to the UK as there is no way we could afford 2000 euros just for the injections. Then there is the costs of the medication for me and my husband who are on permanently different medicines. I take 7 different tablets a day.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The whole thing is an unknown at present. The outlined proposal from UK government said that anyone currently using an S1 at time of Brexit would continue to be able to do so. One presumes that is conditional on some sort of overall deal being done if we simply crash out then who knows. Given what they say should some sort of deal be done then so long as you remain claiming a benefit that entitles you to an S1 then you and your dependants should be covered? At some point I would imagine your children will get to an age where they will no longer be classed as dependant but I don't know.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the last thing in David Davies's mind is to keep expats informed of the negotiations that are currently ongoing. The usual route to find out information such as this is for reporters to squirrel about. Unfortunately these are an endangered species as there are only researachers. This consists of googling something, not bothering to check it and then move on when it is found to be false.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
The whole thing is an unknown at present. The outlined proposal from UK government said that anyone currently using an S1 at time of Brexit would continue to be able to do so. One presumes that is conditional on some sort of overall deal being done if we simply crash out then who knows. Given what they say should some sort of deal be done then so long as you remain claiming a benefit that entitles you to an S1 then you and your dependants should be covered? At some point I would imagine your children will get to an age where they will no longer be classed as dependant but I don't know.
My eldest son was 19 when he returned to UK to attend college. He came back for the summer (2 months) and he was still able to use his Spanish health card and get his medication from the chemist - now 20 years old. The doctor knows he is in the UK but she was quite happy to renew his prescription.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by battlezone123
My eldest son was 19 when he returned to UK to attend college. He came back for the summer (2 months) and he was still able to use his Spanish health card and get his medication from the chemist - now 20 years old. The doctor knows he is in the UK but she was quite happy to renew his prescription.
Yes I don't doubt that as if he has the healthcard then Spanish will treat him. I may be wrong I simply don't know the answer but one would think at some age children would no longer be classed as dependant. From what you say that doesn't happen.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Spanish friend in Barcelona who is 30+ and she still gets health service on her father's card.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rspltd
I have a Spanish friend in Barcelona who is 30+ and she still gets health service on her father's card.
Yes but that has nothing to do with the UK as she is Spanish. Spain obviously will provide health service for anyone with a Spanish health card no matter what nationality they are but if it a uk national then the uk is paying? My point was that in uk at a certain age children are no longer classed as dependants of their parents and expected to provide for themselves or claim their own benefits. I just thought the same would apply re S1 but I don't know if it does.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have tried searching re dependents per S1 and can't find anywhere that refers to a maximum age for a dependent child. It may well be that there isn't one or if there is then it is very well hidden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.