Reload this Page >

ESl teaching ~ Spain

ESl teaching ~ Spain

Old Jun 7th 2015, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

PaulaR83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESl teaching ~ Spain

Hi guys
I am really sorry if this has been posted a million times but I can't see it anywhere. Anyway I am looking to move to Spain next year to teach ESL. I have lived in S.Korea for the last 6 years teaching and want to be a bit closer to home (Scotland). Any advice you could give me on how to find a job, networking etc would be much appreciated. I haven't decided on a location yet and I am open to suggestions. Thanks so much
Paula x
Old Jun 7th 2015, 2:41 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESl teaching ~ Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 8th 2015, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend either Madrid or Barcelona, probably the former to avoid the Catalan language. If you are an EU resident and have a TEFL qualification you'd have no trouble finding work in the capital and it's a good way to get to know Spain. You can work in a private school which would involve kids and teenagers or go IN-COMPANY which can involve a lot of travelling.

The best time to look for work is September for the start of the new year and language schools call themselves academies. Some are OK and you will probably be offered a 9 month contract with a net monthly salary of 1000-1200€ for 24hr week.

Take a look at these 2 links:

LingoBongo - private classes, language exchanges, teaching jobs, cv sender and social events in Madrid - Clases y intercambios de idiomas en Madrid
at the moment it's mainly recruiting for summer camps but it also has a section offering accommodation.

Profesores - Madrid
This is for freelance teachers looking for work, but academies also offer work there.

Good Luck
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

PaulaR83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for your reply. I will look into it. After a little bit of research Seville is looking nice but Madrid is also appealing. So much to think about. Anyway your advice is greatly appreciated
Old Jun 12th 2015, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

blueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the rough

Hi Paula. I taught English to kids in the Huelva region of Andalucia. I had 24 hours of contact time per week with an academy, and earned E1240 after tax per month. This was absolutely fine for me as a single mature woman and I was able to rent a very nice 2 bed apartment. Spain is a lovely country to teach English in, you just need to have a think about what kind of area you want to live in. I got all my EFL jobs on TEFL.COM. Suerte!
Old Jun 14th 2015, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

tabbicat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I taught EFL in Catalonia for many years (now back in UK). I would recommend starting out in a smaller town or city than Madrid or Barcelona if you want to learn the language and make friends with locals as well as other expats. That will most likely mean teaching in a language school (academia) where you will be expected to teach all ages. If you don't want to teach kids, then head for the big cities. Many teachers in Barcelona and Madrid are freelance (autonemo) and teach company classes. It can take a long time to get established though and Spain is still suffering from recession. Teachers I know who have been there many years are struggling to find well paid classes now compared with before 2008.

If you want to learn Spanish it will be easier in regions where it is spoken as the main language. You can still learn Spanish living in Catalonia, but in some towns they only speak Catalan. I would recommend you learn some Spanish before you go - it will make life much easier once you are there.

Another thing to think about is the weather - it gets very hot in the south of Spain in summer. Also, how close you want to be to the coast. Check out TEFL.com to see what jobs are being advertised. Now would be a good time to apply.

Last edited by tabbicat; Jun 14th 2015 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 2:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabbicat
Hi,
I taught EFL in Catalonia for many years (now back in UK). I would recommend starting out in a smaller town or city than Madrid or Barcelona if you want to learn the language and make friends with locals as well as other expats.

Another thing to think about is the weather - it gets very hot in the south of Spain in summer. Also, how close you want to be to the coast. Check out TEFL.com to see what jobs are being advertised. Now would be a good time to apply.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary