Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The end of Spam phone calls?

The end of Spam phone calls?

Old Jun 19th 2023, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default The end of Spam phone calls?

Well a step in the right direction

https://www.canarianweekly.com/posts...from-June-29th

Old Jun 19th 2023, 4:08 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The end of Spam phone calls?

Good luck with that new law. When I used to live in the USA they came out with the national "Do Not Call Registery" That was totally useless because the spam calls mostly came from overseas in India and Pakistan and they were not able to stop their calls by law if I remember right. Plus the political candidates were exempt from the DNC list rules also. The best policy is just do not answer calls from numbers you do not recognise. If your phone has voice messaging they can leave a message if it is important. Most spammers just hang up when they get a voicemail box.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Good luck with that new law. When I used to live in the USA they came out with the national "Do Not Call Registery" That was totally useless because the spam calls mostly came from overseas in India and Pakistan and they were not able to stop their calls by law if I remember right. Plus the political candidates were exempt from the DNC list rules also. The best policy is just do not answer calls from numbers you do not recognise. If your phone has voice messaging they can leave a message if it is important. Most spammers just hang up when they get a voicemail box.

Or do what I do and never answer the thing anyway.. actually i rarely turn it on to be honest..

I only answer whatsapp calls from people I know and otherwise just ignore everyone else...

The Uk had a scheme and for a time after it was enacted the amount of spam calls actually went up...
Old Jun 19th 2023, 5:27 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

There's the Lista Robinson which is like the TPS and the requirement in law for a number to be sent with caller ID instead of for it to appear as a hidden number (unfortunately there wasn't the requirement for the number to belong to the company or actually work).

If you say you're on the Lista Robinson they tend to hang up pretty quick because even before this law it was €10,000 fine per offence. It's called that because apparently according to the marketing association that runs it, people on the list want to be hermits on an island.

So, yes, if even the name is a pisstake, hopefully being on the list and the new bigger fines will bring down the spam...

Last edited by DLC; Jun 19th 2023 at 5:32 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard of it before - so has anybody used it? does it help stop the spam?
Old Jun 19th 2023, 8:05 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult to say, but anecdotally we seem to get fewer spam calls than friends and about half of those that do call know what the Lista Robinson is and say they'll stop calling our number...
Old Jun 19th 2023, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond repute

Old saying "puesta la ley, puesta la trampa" also "hecha la ley, hecha la trampa". Basically, as soon as you make a law, someone finds a way round it. Legislation might reduce, but I doubt will ever eliminate spam.
Old Jun 20th 2023, 6:21 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

To reign in spammers it will take all of the Telcos globally to refuse to allow ANYONE to call anonymously, stop commercial and private customers from sending out their own caller ID information with their VOIP telephone systems and for the TELCOs to block calls thru their systems coming from reported spammer groups both in the UK and internationally. It will also take the TELCOs being massively fined for not complying with laws and regulations related to swatting spammers out of business. Unless that happens I do not expect to see telemarketers calls ended. It will also require that no one including and especilly politicians and groups working in behalf of political activist groups being forced to comply with telemarketing and Do not call regulations. I am not holding my breathe for that to ever happen.
Dealing with spam telemarketers is like playing the game of whack a mole. drive them down 1 hole they just come out of another one.

Telemarketers

Old Jun 20th 2023, 10:12 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

That is a great photo
Old Jun 21st 2023, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

We signed up to Lista Robinson as soon as we got Spanish numbers some 5 years ago (home + 2 mobiles) and the number of spam calls we get is extremely low, one every 2 or 3 months perhaps. Obviously impossible to say to what extent being on the list is responsible for that.

On that rare occasion we do get one a "no hablo español" invariably provokes an instant hang up!
Old Jun 21st 2023, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I have just signed up. I get calls all the time now. Yesterday at 9.45pm!!. It is a real pain even if you just ignore them.
Old Jun 21st 2023, 6:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I had never heard of this list and seem to be getting a stupid amount of calls which I do not answer so I have signed up now. Saw that it is also for e-mails so have signed up for that too.
Thank you

Rosemary
Old Jun 21st 2023, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I had never heard of this list and seem to be getting a stupid amount of calls which I do not answer so I have signed up now. Saw that it is also for e-mails so have signed up for that too.
Thank you

Rosemary
I have recently been getting loads of spam emails. I check them and report as spam syohing etc and it makes no difference. The other week I took the time to go through my spam box and rather than just delete find the unsubscribe link in each email which mostly took me to a generic page that I clicked unsubscribe on. Since then non have come through to me.
Old Jun 21st 2023, 8:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I have recently been getting loads of spam emails. I check them and report as spam syohing etc and it makes no difference. The other week I took the time to go through my spam box and rather than just delete find the unsubscribe link in each email which mostly took me to a generic page that I clicked unsubscribe on. Since then non have come through to me.
I too have been getting loads of spam e-mails. If signing up to the list does not stop them I will do the same as your have, thanks for that.

Rosemary
Old Jun 21st 2023, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I too have been getting loads of spam e-mails. If signing up to the list does not stop them I will do the same as your have, thanks for that.

Rosemary
I have also just signed up to Lista Robinson very simple and straightforward as I have a dual sim phone with a UK number I added that which it accepted. I will get my wife to do the same as she seems to get many more spam calls than me, they must know she likes shopping lol. Thanks for the info I was unaware this was available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.