Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Early retirees on uk private pension

Early retirees on uk private pension

Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Andre Poole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Early retirees on uk private pension

Hello I hope someone can help we are ex British Airways staff retiring early not eligible for UK State Pension but we are retiring on the private British Airways pension and now living in Spain, do we qualify for Spanish state healthcare or do we have to apply for Private Healthcare insurance we are 53 and 55 respectively and we won't be working here
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early retirees on uk private pension

Private Healthcare. To get the free healthcare you have to be in receipt of a STATE Retirement Pension.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:57 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you
Old Feb 13th 2018, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Lucky you
Yep, and I remember BA staff striking because of bad conditions
Doesn't seem that bad then.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
Private Healthcare. To get the free healthcare you have to be in receipt of a STATE Retirement Pension.
Thank you so much for your swift reply
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, private healthcare in your circs. After a year as residents, you can apply for the Convenio Especial which 'buys' you into the Spanish NHS for 60 euros a month each. That will be it until you reach UK state pension age, and hopefully get a S1 to have free Spanish NHS cover. I say hopefully because Brexit has put doubt on that for prospective OAP's here. Watch that space!!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
Yep, private healthcare in your circs. After a year as residents, you can apply for the Convenio Especial which 'buys' you into the Spanish NHS for 60 euros a month each. That will be it until you reach UK state pension age, and hopefully get a S1 to have free Spanish NHS cover. I say hopefully because Brexit has put doubt on that for prospective OAP's here. Watch that space!!
From my MP today, in response to my query -

Further to my last. The Government intends to carry on with the reimbursement of UK pensioners currently receiving healthcare through the S1 route. This is set out in paragraph 29 of the December phase one agreement between the EU and the UK Government:

Rules for healthcare, including the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) scheme, will follow Regulation (EC) No 883/2004. Persons whose competent state is the UK and are in the EU27 on the specified date (and vice versa) – whether on a temporary stay or resident – continue to be eligible for healthcare reimbursement, including under the EHIC scheme, as long as that stay, residence or treatment continues.

Regulation (EC) No 883/2004 covers the coordination of social security systems, and allows for the reimbursement of healthcare costs by the UK Government for citizens living in another EEA country or Switzerland in receipt of certain exportable benefits, including a retirement pension. There are some circumstances however where receipt of an exportable benefit will not entitle an individual to healthcare reimbursement, and will depend on the individual’s own circumstances.

It is worth bearing in mind that the withdrawal negotiations are proceeding on the basis that ‘nothing is agreed until everything is agreed’. So the above is all potentially subject to change unless and until the UK and EU negotiators reach agreement on all of the terms of the UK’s exit from the EU. A fuller discussion on the legal status of the phase 1 progress report can be found in the Commons Library briefing paper, Brexit: 'sufficient progress' to move to phase 2.

I hope this is helpful.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

That to me reads if you don't have or receive treatment under the S1 on the specified date you may not get it. I received similar vague responses re this matter. I think in reality as Lurchio said it is far from clear how the S1 system will work if and when we actually leave the EU.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Expatrick
From my MP today, in response to my query -
Thank you so much, that is very helpful
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

All explained here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that link explains exactly how it is now, it was published in 2013. Since then we are now facing brexit and whatever that brings. Nothing i have read so far is clear whether those reaching state retirement age after the given date we leave will benefit from the S1. It does seem clear that those already benefitting from the S1 will continue to do so. It also seems clear that the EHIC will continue.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, I had an email from the Dept of Health which did confirm those who are resident on Brexit day who do not yet qualify for S1 cover will still get that cover when they do reach pensionable age. Whether that will apply to people who become resident during the transition period (if there is one) is not clear.

In September, the UK and the EU reached an initial, wide-ranging agreement in principle to protect reciprocal healthcare rights for anyone who is permanently resident in another member state on Exit Day. This includes people who are of state pension age, and those who are not yet of state pension age once they start drawing their UK state pension. This commitment was further reiterated in the Joint Report agreed by the UK Government and the European Commission, which was published on 8 December.

This means that any UK-insured person of UK state pension age and permanently resident in the EU on Exit Day will continue to access reciprocal healthcare rights as they draw their UK state pension.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Fred I think that will help reassure many people who are in that situation.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Fred, really appreciate that, heres hoping then.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 2:16 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Bob, I had an email from the Dept of Health which did confirm those who are resident on Brexit day who do not yet qualify for S1 cover will still get that cover when they do reach pensionable age. Whether that will apply to people who become resident during the transition period (if there is one) is not clear.

In September, the UK and the EU reached an initial, wide-ranging agreement in principle to protect reciprocal healthcare rights for anyone who is permanently resident in another member state on Exit Day. This includes people who are of state pension age, and those who are not yet of state pension age once they start drawing their UK state pension. This commitment was further reiterated in the Joint Report agreed by the UK Government and the European Commission, which was published on 8 December.

This means that any UK-insured person of UK state pension age and permanently resident in the EU on Exit Day will continue to access reciprocal healthcare rights as they draw their UK state pension.
@Fred - what do you think they mean by "permanently resident" - I don't think May or her team actually realise that that phrase may be ambiguous!

Does it, for example, mean that you have to have been a legal resident for over 5 years come "Brexit Day"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.