Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dont buy a bar in spain

Dont buy a bar in spain

Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dont buy a bar in spain

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
That's right but not quite.
When I first took early retirement I had planned to buy a bar in Spain and resettle there.
I was registered with a company who sell on available bars.
Then I had a long chat with a bar owner in Murcia and he put me off the idea.

It's still something at the back of my mind hence my interest, but you are right as I would go for a different type of business.
Don`t you dare !!!!
Just give me your money, the pain will be over much quicker. ;-)
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

moto1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having read a few of the replies , this is my experiance.

I was brought up in Pubs from the age of 12 in the UK and saw just how hard my parents worked. They made a good living and we had a good life but did miss them in the evenings when my brother and i were young even though they were just down stairs. I did all the re-stacking of the shelves and clearing the empties when i came home from school. And by the age of 15 was working behind the bar ( not legal i know, but rules and all that broken and meant to be.lol) By the age of 21 my parents were out of the pub game .
It was an experiance but to be honest if i had my time over again i would have not wanted them to go into the pub business.

It opened my eyes at a young age and probably gave me a lot of life skills. The one thing i did know for certain was i would never own a bar or pub.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moto1
Having read a few of the replies , this is my experiance.

I was brought up in Pubs from the age of 12 in the UK and saw just how hard my parents worked. They made a good living and we had a good life but did miss them in the evenings when my brother and i were young even though they were just down stairs. I did all the re-stacking of the shelves and clearing the empties when i came home from school. And by the age of 15 was working behind the bar ( not legal i know, but rules and all that broken and meant to be.lol) By the age of 21 my parents were out of the pub game .
It was an experiance but to be honest if i had my time over again i would have not wanted them to go into the pub business.

It opened my eyes at a young age and probably gave me a lot of life skills. The one thing i did know for certain was i would never own a bar or pub.
When I was in my teens my best friends parents ran the local village pub. They never had a holiday together and worked all hours God sent. They were up early in the morning and to bed late at night. One of them became an alcoholic and I believe the other doed of a heart attack eventually.

It didn't strike me as a particularly nice way to make a living, even though it seems to have a sort of romantic attraction for people
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:28 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
When I was in my teens my best friends parents ran the local village pub. They never had a holiday together and worked all hours God sent. They were up early in the morning and to bed late at night. One of them became an alcoholic and I believe the other doed of a heart attack eventually.

It didn't strike me as a particularly nice way to make a living, even though it seems to have a sort of romantic attraction for people
You mean they went on separate holidays? I remember the one thing publicans used to insist on doing, was going on holidays abroad 2 or 3 times a year (probably an essential thing to do in their case). However I fear it's a totally different kettle of fish nowadays. The number of pubs in the UK that have closed down in the last 18 months is truely staggering.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:21 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

When I had a pub, my partner and I went on a proper holiday together just the once - it was so stressful, time-consuming and expensive (as in more than the cost of the holiday itself!) organising relief cover to run the pub that it really wasn't worth the effort.
And then I came back to a cellar stacked to the ceiling with beer because the relief manager, bless him, hadn't used any initiative when ordering...
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 5:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
You mean they went on separate holidays? I remember the one thing publicans used to insist on doing, was going on holidays abroad 2 or 3 times a year (probably an essential thing to do in their case). However I fear it's a totally different kettle of fish nowadays. The number of pubs in the UK that have closed down in the last 18 months is truely staggering.
Yep thats right, separate holidays for as long as I knew them...... this was in the 60's!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

bil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nice

My experience has usually been that when people ask for advice, they don't really want it.

There are exceptions, but the usual case is that they just want to be told that what they are doing is just hunky dory.