Reload this Page >

Dont buy a bar in spain

Dont buy a bar in spain

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:26 am
Just Joined

chevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dont buy a bar in spain

Econ made some very good points...

I have run a catering company and have been in the hospitality industry since i was 14...

Some people have it and some people dont .....

If you dont understand customers and how to deal with them forget it ...

You must have the right make up and personality to do it and the most important thing is you must be able to stand back and criticize what your doing ...

It is easy to put your head down and do 16 hour days but sometimes by walking away and seeing your bar from a customers perspective is better - and i dont mean sitting in the bar getting drunk ...

and finally

Location .... if you have not got the right location you will have no chance ....

( unless your food is amazing - then you have a small chance of success )

good luck all !
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Quote from their web site.

"My husband has just accepted a fantastic job in the UK so there is a genuine reason for the sale".

When the op first posted that they were selling up the reason given on their web site was that she was pregnant!!

What web site?...........Oh the one in their sig

They should have opened a fish and chip shop

It does work for some though, Eds' Bar and Diner (no connection to me) in Torre de la Horadada is one example. I have not been there since 2006 but he's still there and doing well by all accounts and I don't believe he's open all year, From memory he opens to a pre determined season but I could be wrong.
I for one would love to open my own little bar in Spain, I never will as from what I can see the only person making any money is the estate agent
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
What web site?...........Oh the one in their sig

They should have opened a fish and chip shop

It does work for some though, Eds' Bar and Diner (no connection to me) in Torre de la Horadada is one example. I have not been there since 2006 but he's still there and doing well by all accounts and I don't believe he's open all year, From memory he opens to a pre determined season but I could be wrong.
I for one would love to open my own little bar in Spain, I never will as from what I can see the only person making any money is the estate agent
What, now? Newsflash - property selling somewhere
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
What, now? Newsflash - property selling somewhere

I take your point but the reality is that there is turnover, my mrs is rushed off her feet working 7am to 7pm every day and beyond and that's just on the legal side of (UK) property.
What's that famous line of Robert Ashton's "As Ford and Vuxhall car sales slump, why is it Rolls and Bentleys are being snapped up left right and centre- Value for Money, that's why" or something like that.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MichaelandDawn
Just wanted to say that it didnt work for us, and here is just a little note to anyone considering it.

I am available should anyone want my opinion on why it doesnt work

pm me any potential bar purchasers
HI,
Sorry it did'nt work,but as been said what advice can you give that you were not given.??
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

FWIW an industry spokesman on BBC Breakfast stated that on average 5 pubs a day are closing in the UK, so its not only a Spanish problem.

Jim
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

smartmove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
FWIW an industry spokesman on BBC Breakfast stated that on average 5 pubs a day are closing in the UK, so its not only a Spanish problem.

Jim
Damn! I better go get another round in then!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:43 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smartmove
Damn! I better go get another round in then!
Get one in for me
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:49 am
Banned

SpainLover is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a hard business. I have Spanish friends, owners of bars, that entirely live on the money they earn with their gambling machine. So if the bar is big enough, Spanish bar owners set up one or two gambling machines, which are paying the bills of their fix costs
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SpainLover
It's a hard business. I have Spanish friends, owners of bars, that entirely live on the money they earn with their gambling machine. So if the bar is big enough, Spanish bar owners set up one or two gambling machines, which are paying the bills of their fix costs
Not a new thing, a lot of us in the U.K. were doing that in the 1980's and probably still doing so.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonnyc
Not a new thing, a lot of us in the U.K. were doing that in the 1980's and probably still doing so.
And without making light of struggling bar owners' misfortunes, I often wonder just how profitable are those plastic balls that my OH insists on indulging son & heir with whenever he misbehaves in bars
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MichaelandDawn
I am available should anyone want my opinion on why it doesnt work pm me any potential bar purchasers
I know things don't happen instantly but has anyone else pm'd/e-mailed michaelanddawn and got the promised opinion please?
If so can you share it with me as they have not responded thus far.
TIA
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:39 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I know things don't happen instantly but has anyone else pm'd/e-mailed michaelanddawn and got the promised opinion please?
TIA
Maybe cos it says "potential bar purchasers" and she knows you are not one. ;-))
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
Maybe cos it says "potential bar purchasers" and she knows you are not one. ;-))
That's right but not quite.
When I first took early retirement I had planned to buy a bar in Spain and resettle there.
I was registered with a company who sell on available bars.
Then I had a long chat with a bar owner in Murcia and he put me off the idea.

It's still something at the back of my mind hence my interest, but you are right as I would go for a different type of business.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

TIA
They never answered in any of the threads that they started either.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.