Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dont buy a bar in spain

Dont buy a bar in spain

Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

MichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to all
Default Dont buy a bar in spain

Just wanted to say that it didnt work for us, and here is just a little note to anyone considering it.

I am available should anyone want my opinion on why it doesnt work

pm me any potential bar purchasers
Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dont buy a bar in spain

A friend of our's who has been here very many years said 'If you don't want to loose money, don't buy a bar' Wise words indeed.

Sorry to hear about yours Michael & Dawn, hope it all works out well for you .

Wendy x
Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

MichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to all

Thanks Wendy xxxx
Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:59 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MichaelandDawn
Just wanted to say that it didnt work for us, and here is just a little note to anyone considering it.

have seen few bar that have worked out for people , will say its hard work and not like we see on the tv .ie Ibiza Uncovered are Tenerife Uncovered , paper work , texes , late nights and few have end up on the bottle aswell

there few successful people make good life out off it from Irish english and so on

i do the music for few pubs and that what i am doing all day here , to cold out lot off work behind it
jurdy

Last edited by jurdyr; Nov 30th 2008 at 3:02 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

smartmove is an unknown quantity at this point

Some make it work, some don't, you just need to make sure you put A LOT of research into every aspect before ploughing in head first
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:04 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

why not tell us so people can read it aswell ,like say dont buy a car and not telling us why ?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:19 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Don't charge top top prices in a village environment
Own the bar outright have no debts when you open for trade because you will never catch up. Bla Bla Bla
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Don't charge top top prices in a village environment
Own the bar outright have no debts when you open for trade because you will never catch up. Bla Bla Bla
ya that right , Spanish landlords but just up the road mmmm where the Holiday rezort GA , the drink over priced like the holiday lets was charged 17.40 for two gin and tonics and heineken , same drink in spanish town is 10 euros , now come on there landloards people are drink at home like the Spanish have been doing for last 20 years , mmmmm
over priced up there , then the cosat del sol you get 5 beers for a ten lol
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:41 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Er, well you were warned, but you didn't want to listen!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519269
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519483
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538406
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jurdyr
why not tell us so people can read it aswell ,like say dont buy a car and not telling us why ?
I think we went through all this before they bought the bar and it was discussed pretty thoroughly as to why it might not work.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:06 pm
Banned

Well you think off it cars wont even sale in spain proptry sale are plumenting we seen Spain’s fifth largest real estate promotor, Habitat, files for bankruptcy
the big supermarket say the sales are down 20 - 30 % , the GBP is worth fack all on last year , hotels and holiday lets are charging over the board here , drink price , get screwed buy the tourist bars , only think that cheap in spain is Flights
Cop on people are it going to be Spain biggest gost town this summer coming

we hear off RIP OF IRELAND well this going to happen here very fast , Eastern europe is cheap and flight are cheap there aswell same travel time as spain from any uk Airport
Old Nov 30th 2008, 5:31 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that your bar has not given you the life you hoped for.
I hate to hear of any business closing, but it is especially sad when someone has moved to another country for a different way of life.
The downside is harder to cope with, because family and friends are usually far away.
Will you be returning to the UK? whatever you do we wish you well.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I think we went through all this before they bought the bar and it was discussed pretty thoroughly as to why it might not work.
..on many, many occasions but they went ahead anyway.

Michael and Dawn, you were either brave or foolish but I`m still in UK and you tried.
I`m so sorry it didn`t work out. I was really excited for you when you posted that you had done the move and got the bar and you were posting asking for ideas and prices etc.. Que sera sera

Well done for this thread though - superb. You are better placed to warn others. Keep in touch xx

Last edited by DebsyW; Nov 30th 2008 at 6:33 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:52 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

at least you had the balls to give it a go.life some times smacks you in the face (look at my avatar).maney people talk about doing things and never do anything.you have done some thing.good luck for the future.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 7:50 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

What did they exactly do? Spend about 3 months in Spain and probably lost a lot of money. May have well as took a year out and chilled out on the beach, would probably have cost less.

Many buy a bar here they have to pay around 1000 euro a month rent, plus 700 euro for apartment rent. Add utilities etc. They woud need to have at least 50 people in every night getting pissed out of their brain just to break even. If someone is going to chuck their life savings into a dream at least spend a couple of thousand on business advice...do the math.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.