Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dog harness extension

Dog harness extension

Old Jun 14th 2015, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog harness extension

We will be driving down in a Chrysler Grand Voyager, and there are 2 individual seats behind the driver and the luggage will be at the back.

I know that by law our dog has to be secured to the seatbelt, but wonder if there is an extension to the dog harness to enable the dog to be on the floor?
Does anyone use one or does the dog have to be on a seat?

We have not bought the harness yet as we need to sort out the seating for the vehicle first.

Has anyone else used this type of vehicle (as passengers, we're not driving)?

This is such an important part of our new life to get right.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog harness extension

I think it is possible to buy extensions pieces but the idea is not to allow them to be too free to hurt themselves or interfere with the driver. I know a lady who clips her dog to something at floor level in the back of her car, would that perhaps be an option ?
Old Jun 14th 2015, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
I think it is possible to buy extensions pieces but the idea is not to allow them to be too free to hurt themselves or interfere with the driver. I know a lady who clips her dog to something at floor level in the back of her car, would that perhaps be an option ?
Oh yes can you find out how or what she does for me thanks?
Old Jun 15th 2015, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

There is available a seatbelt for dogs, we bought ours from a local vets. Basically all it is really is a strap that clips to the dogs own harness as normal, and the other end has a seat belt clip that snaps into the lock mechanism of the car seat belt between the seats. It cost us about 8€

Some guardia officers can be very touchy about dog restraints. A local who had his two dogs in the rear hatch area behind an approved eu stamped dog grille, was berated for breaking 'spanish' law in not using dog belts. He is very fluent in spanish so was able to argue his case pointing out the eu stamps and the paperwork for it that he keeps with his other documents.

The officer relented and wrote him a ticket for not giving way at a give way sign instead-- you will never beat the guardia!
Old Jun 16th 2015, 9:15 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee

The officer relented and wrote him a ticket for not giving way at a give way sign instead-- you will never beat the guardia!
The Guardia pulled me a few months back at a checkpoint.
As luck would have it my Mutt had just escaped from the floor in the back a only a few seconds earlier and was perched with back legs on the knees of a front seat passenger, paws on the dash and nose up against the windscreen.
Bang to rights I thought, I wonder what this will cost me.

Anyway one of my attractive lady guests in the back seat began a friendly conversation with the officer, explaining how she was responsible and paid him quite a few nice compliments in the process.
The eventual offshot of it was that the Mutt was returned to the back and we all parted on the best of terms, no action taken.

Having spoken more than a few harsh words about the Guardia in the past, I have to say that this guy was definitely the exception to the rule, though maybe without the charm of an attractive young lady the end result could have been entirely different.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
There is available a seatbelt for dogs, we bought ours from a local vets. Basically all it is really is a strap that clips to the dogs own harness as normal, and the other end has a seat belt clip that snaps into the lock mechanism of the car seat belt between the seats. It cost us about 8€

Some guardia officers can be very touchy about dog restraints. A local who had his two dogs in the rear hatch area behind an approved eu stamped dog grille, was berated for breaking 'spanish' law in not using dog belts. He is very fluent in spanish so was able to argue his case pointing out the eu stamps and the paperwork for it that he keeps with his other documents.

Could you let me have more details on the strap you bought please? It sounds like just what we need.