Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:22 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Originally Posted by Angel21
Hi,
I just bought a townhouse in Martos through Derryl & Diego. We would like to come collect the keys sometime in February. Does anyone know a good B&B where we could stay for a few days till the furniture is sorted.

Also need some help with transport, furniture, building work etc.

Thanks
Angel
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I just bought a townhouse in Martos through Derryl & Diego. We would like to come collect the keys sometime in February. Does anyone know a good B&B where we could stay for a few days till the furniture is sorted.

Thanks
Angel
hi angel21
i bought a house there in November 2015 and like you bought it through derryl and diego. found them very good i have since spent 2 x 2 weeks in martos painting and getting to know my way around. paint is expensive in martos in the standard paint shops.better off going to the bigger Diy stores in jean if you can, i stayed in the hotel Fernando the forth is hotel but nice and friendly i got a deal from them. and used candy taxis to get around she brought everything i needed from the paint shops to the house no problem she is a very nice person and full of advice. along with the staff at the hotel advice is the best and the most valuable thing you can have there. spent the second trip there just getting to know my neighbors cant speak any Spanish and found no problems i could get my self understood and understand ( lots of hand sines ) as far as builders go get to know your builder and the past work thay have done and tell your neighbors what thay think of the price. and after all this decide on your builder. As far as furniture is concerned martos is expensive some very high class shops there just go to ikea and get everything you need delivered. i am driving down in a big van with a friend who will drive it back. it will be easier for me to bring everything i need like a 200 yo family heirloom. beds are cheep there i bought a memory foam bed 4ft 6 in for €176 cheep.
If there is anything else you need to know pleas feel free to contact me

GOOD LUCK
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:31 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
Angel
My advice would be that regarding builders you have to be very careful and make sure that you ask a variety of people about their experiences with those available. Personal recommendations and seeing the completed work is best but this can also be fraught with dangers because of course you will not know who is related to who or who has an axe to grind. This minefield needs careful research but as you will be there to supervise and deal with any issues this will be useful.

Rosemary
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Angel21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a million for all the replies. After reading all your texts I think Ikea sounds the most logical right now. Will see what hubby has to say though.

A friend in the U.K. Suggested Airb&b - any ideas??? Or suggestions.
Thanks again
Angel
Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Dawn Jones48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Angel
We are coming over in Feb and are staying in Casa El Castaño......the lady Sharon is lovely.
We are looking with a couple of agents including Derryl and Diego. Have you any advice for buying??

Dawn

Last edited by Dawn Jones48; Jan 18th 2017 at 9:11 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dawn,
That's great. Could you pass on Sharon's details so we could contact her. Is she is Martos?
We saw quite a few houses and the one we selected was the last and final one. It is a townhouse and it's close to all amenities which we liked most of all. If you buy a property in a holiday home it's very quiet when it's off season and like ghost towns. We experienced that in some areas.

Best would be to stay a few days before you make your mind up. If your planning on retirement there then find something that would interest you so that it would be the right decision. If your planning on working or setting up something then look around and see if it's the right thing.
I have a few friends who moved to France & Spain and after a few years wanted to go back to the UK. Some of them sold their home in the U.K. and then when they wanted to go back it was the recession and the market crashed which meant they couldn't buy a property back in the U.K.
A lot to think about but it's a good thing if you get the right place.
Message me on 07803805868 if you would like some more information.

Hope this helps Dawn. All the best.

Dawn[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,
I have just booked my flight tickets to Malaga for the 1st week of March. Could you please let me know the best mode of transport from Malaga Airport to Martos. I was planning on using the bus or train. The last time we took a taxi but now would like to use public transport to check the difference.
I know it will be longer than the taxi but we are on holiday so have all the time in the world. I'm looking at the cheapest option please.
Also how do I book and timings and if it's reliable.

Thanks a million.

Angel
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone,
I have just booked my flight tickets to Malaga for the 1st week of March. Could you please let me know the best mode of transport from Malaga Airport to Martos. I was planning on using the bus or train. The last time we took a taxi but now would like to use public transport to check the difference.
I know it will be longer than the taxi but we are on holiday so have all the time in the world. I'm looking at the cheapest option please.
Also how do I book and timings and if it's reliable.

Thanks a million.

Angel
good to here
if you get the bus to martos be prepared for a long trip.
the bus goes once a day ( i think ) at 3 pm approx
if when you arrive at the airport go straight out side there is a building outside the main entrance marked ALSA and get a ticket to the main bus station. costs €1.50 . it will bring you to malaga bus station. you can get the train but have never done it. when in the bus station go to window 4 and get a ticket to martos the cost is about €18 and get on it, very god service and reliable . there is no need to book just go there and travel. it is a long journey bring plenty to drink and some thing to eat as well 4 hrs is a long time there is one rest stop so you need to go to the toilet before you go. have a safe journey an enjoy
Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi Angel
I have text you her email address. Thanks for the advice as well!!!

Dawn
Hi Dawn,
That's great. Could you pass on Sharon's details so we could contact her. Is she is Martos?
We saw quite a few houses and the one we selected was the last and final one. It is a townhouse and it's close to all amenities which we liked most of all. If you buy a property in a holiday home it's very quiet when it's off season and like ghost towns. We experienced that in some areas.

Best would be to stay a few days before you make your mind up. If your planning on retirement there then find something that would interest you so that it would be the right decision. If your planning on working or setting up something then look around and see if it's the right thing.
I have a few friends who moved to France & Spain and after a few years wanted to go back to the UK. Some of them sold their home in the U.K. and then when they wanted to go back it was the recession and the market crashed which meant they couldn't buy a property back in the U.K.
A lot to think about but it's a good thing if you get the right place.
Message me on 07803805868 if you would like some more information.

Hope this helps Dawn. All the best.

Dawn

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 22nd 2017 at 7:11 am.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Ade65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I am new to this thread and have spent the last hour reading your comments with interest.
We bought a house 2 years ago about 20 mins south west of Martos. Have had a fair bit of work done to it,and on the whole has been an enjoyable experience.
Still live and work in UK,but lucky enough to come out here several times a year. Locals in the village could not be friendlier. Anyone needing advice then happy to help if I can.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Ade65
Hi All,
I am new to this thread and have spent the last hour reading your comments with interest.
We bought a house 2 years ago about 20 mins south west of Martos. Have had a fair bit of work done to it,and on the whole has been an enjoyable experience.
Still live and work in UK,but lucky enough to come out here several times a year. Locals in the village could not be friendlier. Anyone needing advice then happy to help if I can.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 20th 2017, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ade65
Wow sounds like great fun buying somewhere and doing it up. Have you struggled to get trades in? We are going to have a look for a holiday place and in a few years move permanently.

Dawn

Originally Posted by Ade65
Hi All,

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 20th 2017 at 5:14 pm. Reason: corrected quotes
Old Jan 20th 2017, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Ade65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dawn Jones48
Hi Ade65
Wow sounds like great fun buying somewhere and doing it up. Have you struggled to get trades in? We are going to have a look for a holiday place and in a few years move permanently.

DawnQUOTE=Ade65;12156685]Hi All,
Hi Dawn.
No not really had any problems. We were recommended a builder (English) who did a lot of the initial work which was good, but his communication skills left a lot to be desired,so I now use a Spanish builder from the village. He built a plunge pool(a necessity in summer) and did a great job,ready for our visit last July.
We are here now and he is coming round tomorrow with prices for some other bits that need doing. To be honest I could have done a lot of the work,but when I weighed up the time and sourcing materials etc ,it probably doesn't cost a great deal more.
I think he does go as far as Martos, but know he is busy.Only wish I could be here to project manage,but trust him now. He even dropped off a load of wood for us to use in the log burner ( another necessity for the winter,it was -5 the other night!)and lit it before we arrived last week,and we hadn't even asked for it!
Bought the house through Undiscovered Spain (Derryl and Diego) and such an easy process,both superb and usually see both of them for a drink when over here.

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 22nd 2017 at 7:11 am.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wicklowjack
good to here
if you get the bus to martos be prepared for a long trip.
the bus goes once a day ( i think ) at 3 pm approx
if when you arrive at the airport go straight out side there is a building outside the main entrance marked ALSA and get a ticket to the main bus station. costs €1.50 . it will bring you to malaga bus station. you can get the train but have never done it. when in the bus station go to window 4 and get a ticket to martos the cost is about €18 and get on it, very god service and reliable . there is no need to book just go there and travel. it is a long journey bring plenty to drink and some thing to eat as well 4 hrs is a long time there is one rest stop so you need to go to the toilet before you go. have a safe journey an enjoy
I cannot see how anyone can get the train from Malaga to Jean or Martos. Is it atall possible and if so how?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonboy
I cannot see how anyone can get the train from Malaga to Jean or Martos. Is it atall possible and if so how?
dont know but it is possible i think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.