Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Old Feb 18th 2012, 9:50 am
Just Joined

webb15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Hi,

I´ve lived near Martos since 1996. I don´t think Alcaudete is run down but I wouldn´t particularly want to live there or in Martos itself, but I´m a country girl therefore biased!

As hill billly said why not stay in the area for a few days to explore? We have a holiday letting house - Casa El Reguelo near Fuensanta de Martos.

We also know several people selling up in the area and want to sell privately.

Rachel

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 18th 2012 at 9:56 am. Reason: Links removed. Please put adverts in the classified section.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 12:28 pm
Retired and loving it.

Bedwells is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by webb15
Hi,

I´ve lived near Martos since 1996. I don´t think Alcaudete is run down but I wouldn´t particularly want to live there or in Martos itself, but I´m a country girl therefore biased!

As hill billly said why not stay in the area for a few days to explore? We have a holiday letting house - Casa El Reguelo near Fuensanta de Martos.

We also know several people selling up in the area and want to sell privately.

Rachel
Thank you for that. I have PM'd you with my email address etc
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

skegbylad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to expats living in Martos, and of those who are of thinking of doing so.

We are in the process of buying a house in Martos, if all goes well we should have the keys in 6 weeks or so.
We have been to Martos only twice, for one day visits to look at property.

We decided on Martos after visiting Alcudete, Alcal la Real, and surrounding villages, as we felt there was everything in Martos for us. Shops, bars, supermarkets and swimming pool, and the lovely tree lined street and park.

We spent a fantastic afternoon in a Tapas bar in February enjoying the food and wine after making an offer on a house and it being accepted.

Can anyone who lives in Martos give us their feelings on what its like to live there, and any tips we might need to help us out.

Thank you.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skegbylad

We are in the process of buying a house in Martos, if all goes well we should have the keys in 6 weeks or so.

We decided on Martos after visiting Alcudete, Alcal la Real, and surrounding villages, as we felt there was everything in Martos for us. Shops, bars, supermarkets and swimming pool, and the lovely tree lined street and park.

We spent a fantastic afternoon in a Tapas bar in February enjoying the food and wine after making an offer on a house and it being accepted.

Can anyone who lives in Martos give us their feelings on what its like to live there, and any tips we might need to help us out.

Thank you.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:15 pm
Retired and loving it.

Thank you.
Hello Skegbylad,
We dont live in Martos but we are looking at houses in that area and round-a-bout. What made you decide on Martos? We have spent time in Alcaudete but traveling back to the area in April.
Wish you all the best in your new home.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Red face Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Hi,
My partner and I visited the area a couple of weeks ago. I liked rural properties but my partner wanted to be in a town. We both liked Alcal la Real, but found good houses more expensive. We found a great town house in Martos and made a cheeky offer which sealed the deal. Martos has everything we need, bars shopping, large supermarkets, swimming pool open in the summer.
Loads of fiestas and the people seem really friendly and it's very cheap. I retire at Xmas at 51 and my pension will give me a worry free life with a housepaid for and money in the bank and a monthly income that allows me to live very comfortably. In uk I would have to rent a place, and struggle along paying huge bills. Example, council tax on our house in Martos is around £60 a year. Let me know how your visit goes and if you want to visit Martos in the future I will show you round. I should complete my purchase 27th April.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Q
Old Apr 10th 2012, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

pickle04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Skegbylad, I was wondering if you have any info on Martos for me please? I will be coming out shortly to view some properties in and around the Martos area. I was speaking to an estate agent over in Spain and he told me that Martos has had a large influx of Eastern Europeans and North Africans due to the low property prices. Did you notice this when you were in Martos recently? As I was under the impression that it is still a predominately Spanish area, which is what I am looking for. Hope all goes well for you. Many Thanks.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi, Martos has a population of around 20000, which is obviously predominantly Spanish.
I have heard there are a number of eastern Europeans living in Martos, but in such a large town you are bound to have a diverse population.
I can't imagine the influence of a few can change a long established community that are law abiding and have a very prominent police force.
Don't believe all that estate agents tell you, a lot of them will tell you anything to sell you a house in an area they want you to buy.
Go to Martos and look for yourself, I did and am happy I did.
Any crime of any concern, to me happens on the coast
One last thing is that in the olive picking season lots of casual workers are in town to work the fields as if you are not aware this is a massive olive producing area.
Good luck, and make your own mind up after your visit.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:29 pm
Retired and loving it.

We are going this weekend to have a look
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Good luck you two, let us know how you go on.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:53 pm
Retired and loving it.

Good luck you two, let us know how you go on.
Will do and thanks x
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

pickle04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Skegbylad thank you for your reply. I'm sure Martos will be the place I settle for. I am looking forward to coming out to view some properties shortly, do you have any information of any lawyers in the area that you could recommend, or any advice that you may feel will be useful. Thanks.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Hi pickle04,

I am using an independent lawyer from Fuengirola who I have met face to face in his office, and know others that have used him.

If you pm me, I will give you his details.

If you look at cheap houses in Martos, lots of them need work, quite a lot as for what I saw. There are nice ones there so don't just waste your time looking at unsuitable property. Tell the agent your feelings, if you think it is not suitable tell them and if they should be able to show you the best for your budget. I used undiscoveredspain.net (derryl phollips)and Andalusian property sales (Dianne Heston)
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

timmyf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the_london_family
Hi, we're moving to martos soon and were wondering if anybody could give us any general advice. On the area, living there, shopping, people? All information would be hugely appreciated!
hi i have also just brought a property in martos ,but looking at the date you posted you are probablt moved in and settled now let me know how you are getting on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.