Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Old Sep 6th 2015, 2:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Originally Posted by bhjoffe
Greetings, folks. We are Americans who have owned a vacation bolt for several years in Olvera (Cadiz), which we continue to visit each year because so many expat British, Australian, and even other Americans have second homes or principal residences there. I realize that this is a sensitive topic for some folks ... but in Olvera, for instance, neither the Brits nor the Spaniards gave any thought to one's sexual orientation. We were just part of the "gang" there. Could we expect the same type of reception and treatment in Martos?
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

diesel dek is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, new to the forum & have read this thread with interest!, love the sound of martos area & would love to visit soon, ive been wanting to relocate to spain for some time & everyone sounds so friendly, i intend to retire early 53 & would like 'some rough' guide realistcly how much could i live on 'being modest', once settled into a small'ish house what sort of money would it take to survive on a day to day basis, many thanks.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 2:56 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diesel dek
Hi all, new to the forum & have read this thread with interest!, love the sound of martos area & would love to visit soon, ive been wanting to relocate to spain for some time & everyone sounds so friendly, i intend to retire early 53 & would like 'some rough' guide realistcly how much could i live on 'being modest', once settled into a small'ish house what sort of money would it take to survive on a day to day basis, many thanks.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 9th 2015, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Saigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to all

to be honest, or from my thinking once you have spent your 20k to whatever buying a house then what is left? Food and entertainment ....how much can u eat or drink? I cant see more than a hundred or two Euros a week, for a single person ....reevaluate for 2 people or more ...House wise its 15,000 Euros and up ....how far you want to g
o is your decision ..

Last edited by Saigonjack; Sep 9th 2015 at 5:13 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Diesel
I've only had my house a year, and only visit at the moment, but it's much cheaper than Britain. I've been told electricity costs the same as here, but to be honest you use a lot less anyway! I use gas bottle for heating water and cooking, again very cheap! Most people I gave spoken too install a wood burner eventually to heat the house in the colder months, again very low cost......nothing if FREEwood!!! Water and council tax costs less per year, than I pay a month in this Country!!!! Hope this helps. Lucky you retiring at 53, I wish!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 8:49 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Browsed through online pictures of Martos.

It appears to be an unspectacular town, very typical in fact, located in the middle of nowhere offering little more than cheap property and a growing expat community.

No offence, but apart from the good value property, which can be found widely inland, what is the appeal of Martos ?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

diesel dek is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the replies guys, found this site by off chance but have heard of the areas above & estate agents mentioned (& have had email contact), ideally id like to be closer to the coast with good travel links but where else fits the bill ?? at low prices, i agree on the log burner idea its ideal & had an idea its lower costs for most things than the uk, my main aim is to relocate to get out of the work syndrome 'early', & of coarse better weather, i have a 3 bed semi with no mortgage at the mo so the idea is to sell up cash a small pension that will buy the new house & then live of the small weekly pension topped up by the capital from the house until we both have our state pension.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

I live ten minutes or a bit more south of Martos but in reply to the question, "What is the appeal of Martos?" there are a couple of things to me.
Firstly is its location in that it may appear to be "in the middle of nowhere" but to me it is 'in the middle of visits to Granada, Cordoba, Jaen, tons of other places like Priego de Cordoba, Antequera, Zuheros, Montefrio, Iznajar, Espejo, Guadix, Baza, Ubeda, Cazorla and more.' I can also be down on the coast or up in the mountains without much trouble. I can walk along the Via Verdes, hang glide in Alcaudete, taste (arguably) the best olive oil in Spain in Baena, be down in the Alpujarras eating serrano ham or up in the Sierra Nevadas skiing.
The list goes on.

Yes, the town itself can be one of many that may look similar. But, it is a no-nonsense working town with a sense of community, no real set up for tourists apart from the odd sign here and there and is as Spanish as they come. There are enough expats there for anyone not to feel left out but also they are in the vast, vast minority compared to locals. It isn't a Marbella/Benalmadena/Benidorm town with expats tripping over themselves and all the signs in English. The expats mix with the locals and want to be part of the community, they are in Spain because it is Spain, not because it is a little England but with better weather.

Possibly there are many other towns that have all the advantages I see in Martos, but I'd wish anyone good luck in finding them.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 12:27 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
in reply to the question, "What is the appeal of Martos?".
A photo doesn't always provide the full 'picture', so a useful insight. Certainly an area worth exploring, thanks.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

timmyf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nicola brown
Hi Paquita
I have also found this thread very useful, and am still learning!!!! I bought my house in Martos just a year ago, so am relatively new to the area and the forum. I am heading back to Martos in 3 weeks for 10 days, with a visit to the coast en route!!! Happy to help if I can!
We are back 27 th oct for a week if you need a ride anywhere I will have a car
Old Sep 12th 2015, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

For cider lovers there's a bar on av Pierre cibie ( tree lined St ) that sells fruity spanish cider it's at the east end of the street and run by an ex Argentinian footballer very nice bar , can't remember it's name but will post when I do , not far from the London bar
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone actually go in the London Bar? I presume so but whenever I walk past it's always about empty.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

It's more of a late venue
Old Sep 14th 2015, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

We will be heading off to Martos a week tomorrow and returning on 3rd October. Hopefully our paths will cross again eventually Tim, a ride would have been great!!! Whilst we're in Martos, thinking of taking a trip to Seville, and stay a few days. However it seems a little difficult getting to Jaen early enough to get the 6.30 am train. The earliest bus from Martos is 7'ish!! Any ideas anyone? I have seen taxis by Martos bus station, but not every day!!! There are later trains, but there are changes and some take ages! Obviously trying to make the most of the time there! Also is there a Garden centre in or around Martos, and any place that sells garden furniture? Cheers for the help
Old Sep 14th 2015, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

The Cider Bar sounds promising!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.