Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

DO THE SPANISH REALY LIKE US

DO THE SPANISH REALY LIKE US

Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:12 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DO THE SPANISH REALY LIKE US

Originally Posted by XTreme
Get a grownup to read it to you at bedtime!
good luck finding one on this forum!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:16 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Do they like us ?? hmmmmmmm a toughy ..

My opinion is that if i was them i wouldnt be to happy with us being honest ..

I can only speak of first hand time spent over the years on the island of Mallorca , and being truthful the way that mass building and spiralling house costs have gone i reckon loads hate us and the germans and Dutch etc..

They have been forced out and what were once peaceful paradise bays are now bustling with hotels ,villas and stuff..

So i would summarise so as not to bore Matt to much . by saying its a mx of hate and gratitude as some very very rich people have emerged fom the build up . And they love us .

But some very serious loathing bordering on hate is evident by the poorer local people who have had to endure and watch as the peaceful island has become a money maker ..
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:18 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
good luck finding one on this forum!
Im a grown up well almost anyways
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:20 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

You'll encounter racism everywhere in the world to some extent....and Spain's no different.
I think that the Spanish generally take people as they find them. If you're natural and friendly with them, and are generally interested in Spain rather than a Britain in the sun environment, then they'll reciprocate.
Somebody mentioned Gitanos....OK....I'll give you the background to this because so much crap gets talked about this situation. Most Brits just mindlessly repeat it because they're too stupid or too lazy to find out the truth for themselves.

The problem here is that some Spanish (either through lack of education or just plain prejudice) cling to elements of the Franco regime.
You see, prior to Franco, Gitanos were considered to be just Andalucians and there were no social issues....hell....they'd been in Spain for 600 years by that time. But when Franco started rubbing shoulders with Hitler and Mussolini that's when attitudes started to change, as these dark skinned people were considered to be undesirables.
The top Gitano flamenco artists got out of Spain immediately....because they would have been considered a threat to Franco's regime. They would have ended up buried somewhere in Andalucia as many thousands of other dissidents were.
The Gitano communities were moved out of the towns and they lived in their various cave areas for many years. No education, no healthcare, no future....nothing.
Fast forwards 70 years to the present day and you'll still see Gitano communities now....in fact I actually live in one. And you won't find better people anywhere.

The Spanish (and dumbass Brits) say....Gitanos are dirty (they're not), Gitano's are lazy (they're not), Gitanos won't work (Actually nobody will employ them as it would be the kiss of death for their business), Gitanos are all inbred (they're not), Gitanos are uneducated (generally true....but considering until recent years schools wouldn't take them, it's hardly they're fault), Gitanos steal (They don't steal any more or less than the Spanish. But whenever anything goes missing you can bet your life a Gitano will be blamed for it. Nice little copout for the Spanish....commit a crime, then blame a gypsy).
TBH I could go on for hours about the anti-Gitano propoganda mindlessly propogated by the Spanish....and how it's repeated ad infinitum by stupid Brits to carry favour with Spaniards.
Do you know I had my house up for sale, some Brits came and saw it, said they liked it, but wouldn't move to the area cos there was "too many brown skinned people".
Yes....when it comes to ignorance and outright stupidity, us Brits are leading the way.
As far as the current situation with Gitanos in Spain....even the EU has told Spain to put it's house in order because of the racism that still exists.
There are Gitano ghettoes, and a whole social underclass of desperate people (around 800,000) trying to eke out an existence by any means possible.....but this situation was created by Spain itself. And unless it takes steps to redress the balance, then it's going to come back and bite them in the ass....big style.
actually I have just read it and its a very good post.

Not bad for a Welshie.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:33 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

You'll encounter racism everywhere in the world to some extent....and Spain's no different.
I think that the Spanish generally take people as they find them. If you're natural and friendly with them, and are generally interested in Spain rather than a Britain in the sun environment, then they'll reciprocate.
Somebody mentioned Gitanos....OK....I'll give you the background to this because so much crap gets talked about this situation. Most Brits just mindlessly repeat it because they're too stupid or too lazy to find out the truth for themselves.

The problem here is that some Spanish (either through lack of education or just plain prejudice) cling to elements of the Franco regime.
You see, prior to Franco, Gitanos were considered to be just Andalucians and there were no social issues....hell....they'd been in Spain for 600 years by that time. But when Franco started rubbing shoulders with Hitler and Mussolini that's when attitudes started to change, as these dark skinned people were considered to be undesirables.
The top Gitano flamenco artists got out of Spain immediately....because they would have been considered a threat to Franco's regime. They would have ended up buried somewhere in Andalucia as many thousands of other dissidents were.
The Gitano communities were moved out of the towns and they lived in their various cave areas for many years. No education, no healthcare, no future....nothing.
Fast forwards 70 years to the present day and you'll still see Gitano communities now....in fact I actually live in one. And you won't find better people anywhere.

The Spanish (and dumbass Brits) say....Gitanos are dirty (they're not), Gitano's are lazy (they're not), Gitanos won't work (Actually nobody will employ them as it would be the kiss of death for their business), Gitanos are all inbred (they're not), Gitanos are uneducated (generally true....but considering until recent years schools wouldn't take them, it's hardly they're fault), Gitanos steal (They don't steal any more or less than the Spanish. But whenever anything goes missing you can bet your life a Gitano will be blamed for it. Nice little copout for the Spanish....commit a crime, then blame a gypsy).
TBH I could go on for hours about the anti-Gitano propoganda mindlessly propogated by the Spanish....and how it's repeated ad infinitum by stupid Brits to carry favour with Spaniards.
Do you know I had my house up for sale, some Brits came and saw it, said they liked it, but wouldn't move to the area cos there was "too many brown skinned people".
Yes....when it comes to ignorance and outright stupidity, us Brits are leading the way.
As far as the current situation with Gitanos in Spain....even the EU has told Spain to put it's house in order because of the racism that still exists.
There are Gitano ghettoes, and a whole social underclass of desperate people (around 800,000) trying to eke out an existence by any means possible.....but this situation was created by Spain itself. And unless it takes steps to redress the balance, then it's going to come back and bite them in the ass....big style.
Unfortunately for the gitanos they have some representatives in the public eye who paint far from a good picture of them.

Take Farroquito (spelling?) for example. A famous gypsy flamenco dancer. Drove his car uninsured and without a driving licence. Hit someone on a pedestrian crossing and killed him and then drove off without stopping.

And yet when the public at large try to say anything about his appalling conduct, his reply? "You only say that because I´m a gypsy".
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:56 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Once again it comes back to what I said before Keith. This is a situation of Spain's own creation. Is it any wonder that individuals like that will now stoop as low to play the race card in a situation totally unconnected to it?
The older generation have accepted their lot in life and have just got on with it. But the racism is still being indoctrinated into children by parents as soon as they reach school age. And forthcoming generations of Gitanos are not going to accept it.....why should they after all? We're not talking itinerants or tinkers here.....we're talking of Roma families who've lived in one area for over 600 years.
So when Brits arrive and turn their nose up at them and say the "brown skinned people make the place look untidy"....it really disgusts me, and makes me ashamed to be British. Cos the reality is....it's their home not ours!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

BasqueTyke is an unknown quantity at this point

Ist post here.

Spain is in general pretty right-wing in my experience, after being here for 8 years, dealing with the Spanish in the Basque Country is similar to other areas in the South.

They even say " Speak Christian " when people speak Euskerra, another Franco throwback.

Makes life interesting in Bilbao but in my local area its 97% Basque speaking so no problems really.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Grazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We have a street fair right outside our pizzeria. Each night after we close we go and join in this all-Spanish party.

We are very warmly received and don’t find even a hint of prejudice.

The Andalucians absolutely love expats who respect, enjoy and join in their cultural activities.

If you’re stuck in the UK and can afford to move, please come and join us expats here in Andalucia.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:47 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grazy
The Andalucians absolutely love expats who respect, enjoy and join in their cultural activities.
That's the key right there! Embrace the culture, participate, and try to integrate, and you'll be made welcome.
But the vast majority don't....they only interact (and end up squabbling) with other Brits and create a "them" and "us" environment with the locals.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:04 am

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

XTtreme, Good posts
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:00 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

A Town Hall councillor in Granada accused the local police of being racists and he was taken to court and fined 1400 euros! in last weeks Diario Sur.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

lynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the rough

I personally have most spanish people to be fairly nice and helpful. I have came across a couple of ignorant idiots but then again you would get this anywhere in the world and i just deal with it how i would have had i still been living in the UK.
Most of my neighbours are spanish and always get a hola etc off them and we do try to speak the little bit of spanish we have learned and have got ourselves enrolled in private lessons now.
However i do have to add in that the behaviour out of some of the spanish youngsters who came and holidayed in our complex during easter time was disgraceful. There was bottles of urine thrown over 20 floors and into the pool and bottles of milk coffee etc dropped from a great height and into our basketball court and threw bags of sick over the side of the building that landed at the communal entrance. They had access to the underground car park where they went and left there used condoms and caused damage to cars and smashed the lifts mirrors. The noise went on for a full week, every night and usually until around 5am. Like my spanish neighbours i was less than amused as we had work in the morning but luckily our daughter was off school that week anyway. Why the police never arrested them is beyond me.It was so bad that our lovely spanish caretaker left and hasnt returned. All of our spanish neighbours were greatly embaressed as like them we are all kind of led to believe that its the english holidaymakers that cause the noise and problems. This just goes to show that there is good and bad everywhere.
Got a bit off track sorry to answer the question.....I think some will some wont for different reasons just like in the UK they have there reservations about imigrants coming into the country. But thats thanks to the EU
Lynda
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Grazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the rough

Hi Lynda,

I am sorry to hear that you had these ignorant racists staying in your complex over Easter; if as a community you cannot find the owners who let their apts to these riffraff and make sure that it doesn’t happen again, then I would move to a smaller more refined urbanization.

We live near Estepona on the Costa del Sol and we have never had an incident anything like those you have had to endure. The worst behavior demonstrated by young Andalucian’s has been, piles of discarded McDonald’s packaging left in the entrance to our complex.

Sell up! and come and live in Andalucia. We have very few racists and in the main the “children” are polite and well behaved.

I dread to think what you will have to put up with in the summer hols.

Best regards

Grazy
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't think she said they were racist,just louts
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

IF it is s a mainly expat urbanization, then hurling puke and urine bombs does have a flavor of racism IMHO. I think we may need a public enquiry to uncover the underlying motives of this horrible behavior.

Regards

Grazy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.