Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

DO THE SPANISH REALY LIKE US

DO THE SPANISH REALY LIKE US

Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of
Default Re: DO THE SPANISH REALY LIKE US

Hi,

Don't actually live there yet so not sure if I'm qualified to say. Just been to Galicia for a week and found the people to be friendly on the whole. They really do appreciate it if you make the effort to speak Spanish and will help you along with it. If you don't try then I can easily see people being isolated rather quickly. So, I found the majority of the people really friendly. There was a bus driver than wasn't aware that I could speak/understand Spanish and was having a not so polite conversation about me to some other passenger but was still all smiles and polite...might call that two faced though?

So, hit and miss.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 10:42 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

I donĀ“t think the British are considered with the same contempt as the gitanos, or los moros.

But we are sinonimous with being very badly dressed, football hooliganism and being cold and unapporachable.

As a general sweeping comment (I know, everyone is an individual) I think we are neither loved nor hated.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 1:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Hi,

Don't actually live there yet so not sure if I'm qualified to say. Just been to Galicia for a week and found the people to be friendly on the whole. They really do appreciate it if you make the effort to speak Spanish and will help you along with it. If you don't try then I can easily see people being isolated rather quickly. So, I found the majority of the people really friendly. There was a bus driver than wasn't aware that I could speak/understand Spanish and was having a not so polite conversation about me to some other passenger but was still all smiles and polite...might call that two faced though?

So, hit and miss.
I love it when that happens, hope you answered him in Spanish, lol
Old Jun 10th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

I was more worried about being dropped off in the middle of no where at the time
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agree more with those who have said how important it is to make the effort to learn Spanish, avoid creating ghettos (of whatever nationality) and abide by the rules and mores of Spanish law and culture (including paying our taxes, registering imported cars, et al).

It infuriates me when many British people I meet in Spain (I can't speak for other nationalities but I will say that those from other European countries seem to have far less difficulty in speaking languages than their mother tongue than the British in general do) refuse to acknowledge the fact that they are immigrants in a country other than their own and often behave in a way which they would be the first to criticise in immigrants to Britain. "But we're different" they say "We are coming here with money and not taking anything from the Spanish government". Well, for a start, not everyone coming to Spain is in that position, and even if you are, so what? Try asking an African or Asian person who has come to Britain and may be working as a doctor, lawyer, accountant or other profession whether they find themselves treated as an immigrant or not. I think I know what the answer would be.

The Spanish have the same prejudices eg about the gitanos and moros so I'm not saying they are perfect but by and large I am amazed how tolerant they are of the huge changes mass immigration has brought and is still bringing to their country.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Grazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the rough

Hi All,

I think it largely depends on where you live and how friendly you are yourself.

Weā€™ve been on the Costa del Sol for 20 years and we still have to work at getting a friendly response out of the Spanish in our urbanization. Possible itā€™s because on the coast we are perceived as having money coming out of our ears and are thus resented by the type of Spaniard who wants to compete with expats on wealth basis.

We have certainly met some very friendly Spaniards on the Costa though and inland and at points on the coast away from Marbella, Puerto-Banus we have found the locals much more friendly.

I lived in London and Essex until I was 35 and I personally didnā€™t find that people in that area were that friendly.

Here on the Costa we find that you get back what you put in. Each morning I make a point of greeting everyone that I cross paths with in my local area, some ignore me but most are both friendly and polite.

We have a bar/restaurant and 50% of our customers are Spanish, as we are both expats, then I think this in itself says that we are quite well accepted.

Iā€™d really love to hear other memberā€™s experiences/views: -
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

jaquelina is an unknown quantity at this point

When I first moved to Spain 5 years ago, I thought that the Spanish people were easy going and that they didn't mind us being here. Now I understand what they say to each other..not when they are talking to me directly, but when they are making aside comments between themselves, and the sad truth is that they resent immigrants, of any origin, just the same as people in the UK resent Poles, Asians etc..you may not like me saying this but it is true..we are the immigrant population, and unfortunately, many Brits don't bother to learn the language or attempt to integrate in any way. I am not sure what the answer is..as long as the Spanish economy is booming, everything will be fine, but if there is a downturn , then attitudes may become different.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gallerie9
Well I dont agree
My best friend in spain in spanish I didnt speak any spanish when we arrived here I can hold a conversation now. We have good times together we have spent many evenings days together in a group with our OHĀ“.s over dinner and the beach and shopping. We spent the whole of Christmas together and the new year and Regis.
Language is only a barrier if you make it one.
I know that if i am in trouble I only need to shout and they will come running.
I think the important thing is that you make an effort 'just as you did' and do not give them the feeling that you are making contact with an alien species, it sounds like you went in relaxed and with open arms, which is a great way of starting to create a friendship.

The Spanish in general are very genourous and trusting people, sadly and not through any fault of theirs 'in some places now' you need to gain their confience, sadly there have been many who have taken advantage of this over the years.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jeanc
being in their country. As another race row kicks off in Big Brother and someone is booted off for a racist remark, I am wondering how we are recieved in Spain, when we are living there and not just holidaying. Do the Spanish just tolerate the other nationalities that are living there, or do they genuinely accept us?
Different area will show different results...

Things that do annoy the Spanish and creates a dislike of foreigners is drunken louts yelling, singing and screaming while they come home from bars in the early hours, the Spanish generally have to get up to work in the morning while these inconsiderate drinkers don't. The heat generally means the Spanish sleep with the windows open of their apartments, noise at night travels and seems to become amplified, in many cases they hear and recognise English.

The Spanish big brother was not the nicest of programs either from what I have seen of it, not racisim just ignorance, seems producers now in many countries feel they need to insult to sell, says a lot for the viewers I guess.

In general I would say they are tollerant, it is amazing how just trying to make converstion with them will change there outlook towards you, actually I guess this is the same with us in the UK also. If you grow lemons or other fruit and veg and have more than you can use then put some into plastic shopping bags and give it to your Spanish neighbours or people you know, in the paper shop, bar etc. you will soon be seen as a friend and accepted.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

pocahontas77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think everywhere in the world is the same: you get open minded people or you get ignorants, it depends who you come across. I leave in Chester and I've been leaving in the UK for 6 years. Most people I met have been really helpful and very nice to me, particularly on my first job when my English wasn't very good. It depends a lot on ourself: it depends how well we adaptate to the place where we leave...whether you don't make any effort on learning the language and culture or you just sat down criticising anything that it doesn't look like your country. Say that, I'm Argentinian, have Spanish nationality as my father is from Spain (he emigrated to Argentina as thouthands of Spaniards did). After 3 year in England got fed up of the rain and decided to move to Spain...stay three months and came back to the UK...why? I found people very racist, I didn't get jobs because of my southamerican accent even though I speak fluent English and French and have broad experience in the travel industry. I've never encountered that problem in the UK....still I don't think all Spaniards are the same, people in the south is very nice and in Galicia are really very kind.... All the countries are the same, including mine: it's just the ignorance and the fear to the unknown.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:18 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

No
Old Jun 30th 2007, 7:55 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

You'll encounter racism everywhere in the world to some extent....and Spain's no different.
I think that the Spanish generally take people as they find them. If you're natural and friendly with them, and are generally interested in Spain rather than a Britain in the sun environment, then they'll reciprocate.
Somebody mentioned Gitanos....OK....I'll give you the background to this because so much crap gets talked about this situation. Most Brits just mindlessly repeat it because they're too stupid or too lazy to find out the truth for themselves.

The problem here is that some Spanish (either through lack of education or just plain prejudice) cling to elements of the Franco regime.
You see, prior to Franco, Gitanos were considered to be just Andalucians and there were no social issues....hell....they'd been in Spain for 600 years by that time. But when Franco started rubbing shoulders with Hitler and Mussolini that's when attitudes started to change, as these dark skinned people were considered to be undesirables.
The top Gitano flamenco artists got out of Spain immediately....because they would have been considered a threat to Franco's regime. They would have ended up buried somewhere in Andalucia as many thousands of other dissidents were.
The Gitano communities were moved out of the towns and they lived in their various cave areas for many years. No education, no healthcare, no future....nothing.
Fast forwards 70 years to the present day and you'll still see Gitano communities now....in fact I actually live in one. And you won't find better people anywhere.

The Spanish (and dumbass Brits) say....Gitanos are dirty (they're not), Gitano's are lazy (they're not), Gitanos won't work (Actually nobody will employ them as it would be the kiss of death for their business), Gitanos are all inbred (they're not), Gitanos are uneducated (generally true....but considering until recent years schools wouldn't take them, it's hardly they're fault), Gitanos steal (They don't steal any more or less than the Spanish. But whenever anything goes missing you can bet your life a Gitano will be blamed for it. Nice little copout for the Spanish....commit a crime, then blame a gypsy).
TBH I could go on for hours about the anti-Gitano propoganda mindlessly propogated by the Spanish....and how it's repeated ad infinitum by stupid Brits to carry favour with Spaniards.
Do you know I had my house up for sale, some Brits came and saw it, said they liked it, but wouldn't move to the area cos there was "too many brown skinned people".
Yes....when it comes to ignorance and outright stupidity, us Brits are leading the way.
As far as the current situation with Gitanos in Spain....even the EU has told Spain to put it's house in order because of the racism that still exists.
There are Gitano ghettoes, and a whole social underclass of desperate people (around 800,000) trying to eke out an existence by any means possible.....but this situation was created by Spain itself. And unless it takes steps to redress the balance, then it's going to come back and bite them in the ass....big style.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:05 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme
You'll encounter racism everywhere in the world to some extent....and Spain's no different.
I think that the Spanish generally take people as they find them. If you're natural and friendly with them, and are generally interested in Spain rather than a Britain in the sun environment, then they'll reciprocate.
Somebody mentioned Gitanos....OK....I'll give you the background to this because so much crap gets talked about this situation. Most Brits just mindlessly repeat it because they're too stupid or too lazy to find out the truth for themselves.

The problem here is that some Spanish (either through lack of education or just plain prejudice) cling to elements of the Franco regime.
You see, prior to Franco, Gitanos were considered to be just Andalucians and there were no social issues....hell....they'd been in Spain for 600 years by that time. But when Franco started rubbing shoulders with Hitler and Mussolini that's when attitudes started to change, as these dark skinned people were considered to be undesirables.
The top Gitano flamenco artists got out of Spain immediately....because they would have been considered a threat to Franco's regime. They would have ended up buried somewhere in Andalucia as many thousands of other dissidents were.
The Gitano communities were moved out of the towns and they lived in their various cave areas for many years. No education, no healthcare, no future....nothing.
Fast forwards 70 years to the present day and you'll still see Gitano communities now....in fact I actually live in one. And you won't find better people anywhere.

The Spanish (and dumbass Brits) say....Gitanos are dirty (they're not), Gitano's are lazy (they're not), Gitanos won't work (Actually nobody will employ them as it would be the kiss of death for their business), Gitanos are all inbred (they're not), Gitanos are uneducated (generally true....but considering until recent years schools wouldn't take them, it's hardly they're fault), Gitanos steal (They don't steal any more or less than the Spanish. But whenever anything goes missing you can bet your life a Gitano will be blamed for it. Nice little copout for the Spanish....commit a crime, then blame a gypsy).
TBH I could go on for hours about the anti-Gitano propoganda mindlessly propogated by the Spanish....and how it's repeated ad infinitum by stupid Brits to carry favour with Spaniards.
Do you know I had my house up for sale, some Brits came and saw it, said they liked it, but wouldn't move to the area cos there was "too many brown skinned people".
Yes....when it comes to ignorance and outright stupidity, us Brits are leading the way.
As far as the current situation with Gitanos in Spain....even the EU has told Spain to put it's house in order because of the racism that still exists.
There are Gitano ghettoes, and a whole social underclass of desperate people (around 800,000) trying to eke out an existence by any means possible.....but this situation was created by Spain itself. And unless it takes steps to redress the balance, then it's going to come back and bite them in the ass....big style.
Do I actually have to read all this?
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:07 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Get a grownup to read it to you at bedtime!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:08 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

No just do what i did and speed read it ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.