Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:47 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Do the Spanish Hate the British.

I have lived in Catalonia for just over three years a life which I enjoy very much and would never return to the UK even in these grey times. I have never had a problem with any of the local people, Police or Town hall and when I have been with paperwork to Tarragona which is a big city,The people I have dealt with have been kind. However looking though the unemployment problems of Spain I came across this article below which smacks of real problems between the UK and Spain if one reads the article and the 20 or so comments from readers. I wondered if members of this forum outside of Benidorm had suffered any prejudice

http://www.costa-news.com/index.php?...162&Itemid=120
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:08 am
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do the Spanish Hate the British.

some off the comments from readers make lot sence but some are very one minded but what did stand out was " Well in 2 years la cala has changed, i used to use spanish and english bars well now i use neither, but who do they think will pay the high inflated prices for apartments not the spanish thats for sure, but they can always go back to where they were 40 years ago and all because they wont intergrate well we will be moving to a more pleasant part of spain and taking all our money with us thanks a lot finestrat council "
Written by katy
Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by jurdyr
some off the comments from readers make lot sence but some are very one minded but what did stand out was " Well in 2 years la cala has changed, i used to use spanish and english bars well now i use neither, but who do they think will pay the high inflated prices for apartments not the spanish thats for sure, but they can always go back to where they were 40 years ago and all because they wont intergrate well we will be moving to a more pleasant part of spain and taking all our money with us thanks a lot finestrat council "
Written by katy
What we forget is not too many years ago on the coastal areas the Spanish were Farmers and Fishermen before in the main the Brits arrived with pockets full of cash, This was a quote from the newspaper which to a certain extent is true and may explain a lot of the corruption as the village elders would take the top jobs as the cash rolled in as they were the brightest,From getting a small wage from fishing they saw all this cash coming in the form of building permissions and temptation took over and though generations the corruption carried on.The country on the whole just goes about its honest daily business but slowly these corrupt Mayors and staff are being weeded out and jailed. Spain has a very proud history and has been around since prehistoric times it joined the Roman empire in 206bc and became the modern Spain as we know it in 1492. getting back to corruption,These bad apples that cause heart ache to many people by their greed giving building permission on green land etc have to be rooted out.I don't think the Spanish blame the brits for house prices when on the whole the cash has improved their infrastructure , But maybe the culture of the brit drunk swearing and shouting, and bringing bingo and other blood sports to their environment really make them dislike the British.The British bar owner at least. Who knows
You have a secretary I see now Jurdyr I hope she was not sat on your knee when typing your random jottings. Ya Ya

Last edited by poshnbucks; Mar 10th 2009 at 6:47 am.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:16 am
Just Joined

cavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura about

I dont think the Spanish actually hate the British, there is resentment as prices have risen due to the influx of immigrants also the behaviour of many Brits abroad doesnt exactly endear us to them.

Inland the Spanish can be particularly wary of brits especially after seeing whats happened to the Costas, but by observing the cultural differences and trying to integrate with the locals goes a long way in helping to be accepted.

After all its their country and instead of trying to create little britain in the sun we should be at least try and adapt to their way of life. We all moan about the immigrants coming to the UK, taking jobs, getting benefits, keeping their customs and traditions and how Britain doesnt feel british anymore yet we do exactly the same over here.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:41 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

For the most part, normal everyday Spaniards couldn't give a fig if you are British or not. What they are wary about is best described as 'forasteros' as opposed to the more xenophobic 'extranjeros'.

Forasteros are simply outsiders to any given community. They are even wary of fellow Spaniards!!! Several observers have noticed the following delightful quirk of the Spanish character. I'll use my town for the example, but it applies to any town.

In response to the question "where are you from?", an Isleño replied:

"I'm from Isla Cristina - I am Isleño. First Isla Cristina, then Huelva, then Andalucia, then Spain"

His friend replies:
"But I am from the Punta. The Punta del Caiman, in Isla Cristina. I'm Puntero, then Isleño, then Huelva, then Andalucia, then I'm Spanish."

Another pipes up:
"Yes, but you are from the new part of the Punta whereas I am from the original Punta, the barrio Las Malvinas. Then I'm Puntero, then isleño, then Onubense, then Andaluz, and only the am I Spanish!!!!"

A fourth chips in:
"But you live on the left side of the road in Las Malvinas................"

And so on until we go floor by floor, building by building.

OK - it's an exaggeration but it illustrates the point that they are wary of people from the outside, whatever their nationality. Even in supposed cosmopolitan cities like Barcelona this exists, with apart from the usual wave of immigrants, tourists and expats, the Spaniards are divided into groups - Those originally from Barcelona, those who are Catalan and then other Spanish. Within other Spanish, they divide again as the many Andalucians who emmigrated to Catalonia in the 1960's see themselves as above other Spanish emmigrants to the area, as they went there first and in bigger numbers.

All good fun.

On another note, having a drink last week with some local blokes they launched an attack on their own country saying how much they admired the British. They said that because of its order, its ruthlessness, its organisation they had managed to keep their empire far longer than Spain could manage and they were also able to stamp its influence on the world in a way that Spain, despite having the chance, could never do. It was a glowing, if a little grudging, admiration for the Brits. Interesting chat, really.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:11 am

Not much on then today Fortaleza
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:57 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Always have lots on. The joys of working off three terminals!!!!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:34 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

In my experience its not the nationality they hate.

Its the behavior.

All immigrants are stereotyped in Spain, some good, some bad.

What makes the situation worse is the acts themselves.

Brits tend to forget that in the UK we moan about immigrants takin over, yet were infamous in Spain.

If you look at the amount of hassle brits get by Spaniards, compared to Asians in the UK, not difficult to spot the nationalities with the worse record of acceptance and intergration.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livit
In my experience its not the nationality they hate.

Its the behavior.

All immigrants are stereotyped in Spain, some good, some bad.

What makes the situation worse is the acts themselves.

Brits tend to forget that in the UK we moan about immigrants takin over, yet were infamous in Spain.

If you look at the amount of hassle brits get by Spaniards, compared to Asians in the UK, not difficult to spot the nationalities with the worse record of acceptance and intergration.
All immigrants are stereotyped the world over.
We are all pidgeonholed by our nationality,colour,religion,upbringing,how much or how little money we got in the bank,where we live,what we eat,how we dress, who we support.The list goes on and on.
If there is anyone on here who has not had a preconceived idea about someone,good or bad ,and then done a 180 degree turn when they have actually met them.If there then they must have the gift of second sight or so blinkered that nothing is going to change their mind .
Old Mar 10th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
.... I came across this article below which smacks of real problems between the UK and Spain if one reads the article and the 20 or so comments from readers.
Well, I've read the article and what it boils down to is 3 bars have been told to stop their karaoke nights. One old lady who says she won't be coming back and a crackdown on illegal gambling. Plus a chippie-owner who doesn't like having to be hygenic.
In addition, all the comments are by brits (or at least people with british-sounding names), having a good old moan about how things " ... aren't the way they used to be ..." and life, in general.
The thing is, brits love to read bad news in their papers. If you published a paper that only contained good news, no-one would buy it. It's only when they hear how terrible things are and that we're all doomed that they get interested and are prepared to pay money for the whole (usually grossly embellished and exaggerated) story.
I can't see any evidence of anyone hating anyone else here. I daresay if I could read the local spanish press, it would be full of the same stories of woe, tough-times and overbearing bureaucracy.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:54 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Brit bars are always closing down anyway. Most change hands every year/season. Maybe some would be busier without the bingo and Karaoke!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:59 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stand immigrants of any creed or colour or nationality who come to a country and break it's laws (the illegal gambling) and then try to turn it into a little corner of their own land.

No wonder the Spanish don't like it.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:27 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by pete_l
The thing is, brits love to read bad news in their papers.
Not only the papers.

Most bilingual people who follow both countries media will tell you how different the same story is covered.

The two countries media are miles apart.

The UK news channels always seem to care more about how people feel than facts.

The population then seem to have become brain washed into believing the situation is as bad as portrade.

Today TVE Espana reporter tells facts of the German shouting`s, numbers killed etc etc.

BBC ask`s there reporter, "How is the feeling amongst the towns people over this terrible slaughter ?, "how are they coping" etc etc.

Happens on every story.

If you published a paper that only contained good news, no-one would buy it.
Its a far deeper reason than this.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice

I have just moved back to spain, I am the only englishman in the village, not a whinging brit in site , last few days have been lovely and sunny. Its so nice to be back, the people here are friendly and go out of there way to help me.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Squig is an unknown quantity at this point

It's all stereotyping. I work with English clients and the conversations I have had with some English people have been so amusing, one sentence they are complaining about how terrible it is in the UK with all the immigrants taking their jobs, benefits, council housing and refusing to speak English and in the next saying how terrible Spaniards are and how they don't speak English and how they are prejudiced towards the English. And no doubt the Spanish do exactly the same.

To stereotype my own kind: there is one thing us English do best and that is complain

I haven't met a single Spaniard (Yet )that has hated someone who has gone out of their way to fit in. My kids go to Spanish school, I work and pay taxes, I learnt Spanish and speak it fluently, I don't watch English TV, very rarely frequent English bars etc. and have basically integrated with the community around me. I will even be changing my nationality in the next 3 years to Spanish.

The only thing I have noticed is that the Spaniards will investigate foreigners a lot more than Spaniards (especially with regards to Taxes) but if you have all the papers in order, they can do very little about it. There is a lot of bar stool solicitors going around, and many people claim ignorance with regards to legal matters, but that is no excuse to be honest. If you are going to live and work in a country you need to abide by their rules and investigate any changes. Sadly as all governments are desperate for cash atm, they will go after the easy targets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.