Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Coping with the Levante........

Coping with the Levante........

Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:30 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Coping with the Levante........

Just had a great fortnight in Spain, but have never had it so windy before, even in the winter. I reckon that the late afternoon gusts are sea breeze which dies soon after sunset. However the Levante was blowing like hell on Saturday when I left. Although the wind was quite cooling in the heat, I would like to be able to enclose parts of the front porch for protection while eating. Does anyone know where I can get those thick matting blinds ? They are quite heavy, but I have seen them on houses in the old quarter of Seville ?? Like very heavy thick rush matting ??
Thanks for any advice....
Old Jul 10th 2006, 12:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coping with the Levante........

Yes I need some of that also. But it will probably have to be wired up pretty well. I've seen where people haven't secured it properly and the first high winds ripped them up.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes I need some of that also. But it will probably have to be wired up pretty well. I've seen where people haven't secured it properly and the first high winds ripped them up.

You could have made-to-measure toldos, a wind-down, or wind-across blind in heavy duty canvas, with or without a window in it, in any colour to suit. Very effective, we've found. Have a look in yellow pages. They take about 7-10 days to make and fit from time of order.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Amara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really nice

We could do with some wind here today - it is Hoooooooooooottttttttttt!!!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:11 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amara
We could do with some wind here today - it is Hoooooooooooottttttttttt!!!
Hot, it's positively sticky. It's after 11pm and it's still over 32 degrees. Anyone else got the flying ants tonight? We're inundated with them.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:59 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Just had a swim to try to cool down, had to avoid the flying ants though, they are here in Chiclana as well.
Yvonne
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:31 am

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Stop moaning about ants and stickiness ..at least you have blue skies...here we have clouds and rain.. while I was away London had temperature on the underground reaching the forties.. very unpleasant. I must say I was surprised by how windy it was, much more so than on any previous visit. Have an extra dive or two for me everyone....
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:58 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Coping with the Levante........

Originally Posted by poollounger
Stop moaning about ants and stickiness ..at least you have blue skies...here we have clouds and rain.. while I was away London had temperature on the underground reaching the forties.. very unpleasant. I must say I was surprised by how windy it was, much more so than on any previous visit. Have an extra dive or two for me everyone....
I guess we are moaning, but it's very unpleasant at the moment.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Amara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really nice

Originally Posted by jjh
I guess we are moaning, but it's very unpleasant at the moment.

I am ashamed to say that I am not enjoying it much either - not so bad for me but not much fun when you have hot, sticky, bad tempered tots to contend with!! A nice big thunderstorm should do the trick!!! Please god
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:24 pm

Just pulling your legs people....I know even last Saturday with the Levante blowing and sitting in the shade I had to cool down by lying on the cold stone floor...
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Just pulling your legs people....I know even last Saturday with the Levante blowing and sitting in the shade I had to cool down by lying on the cold stone floor...
That´s a picture! I must admit I am struggling and the wind still blows!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 11:20 pm

I suppose we should all be grateful for the Levante...my Spanish friends say it has been the saviour of the region, as the wind has deterred mass tourism and prevented us from becoming another Costa del Sol!!!!!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I have just looked at BBC weather and it is still here as far as Saturday at least. Usually it subsides at night but it was howling round the chimney pot last night, preventing my early morning dip.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:42 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

News item from Expatica Heatwave

I'm not complaining, at least I dont have to travel to work on the London Underground or sit in my car on the M25 and then sit in a stuffy office, I can just cool down in the pool and stay out of the heat. I do feel for people here who have to work in this weather though, it must be tough.

I wish someone would design a windproof pergola , it must be possible as they make tents that can resist very high winds. Maybe someone knows of one?? The one we bought recently is already falling apart, just not up to the wind.

Yvonne
Old Jul 12th 2006, 4:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YMF
News item from Expatica Heatwave
Yvonne
Wow, so it's 43 in Sevilla!

It happens every year!

It is no hotter this year than any other year. They have to give out these "Heatwave" warnings but no one takes much notice.

In case you haven't noticed, summers are hot in Spain.

Fred

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.