Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Differences between Christmas in Spain and UK

Differences between Christmas in Spain and UK

Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:58 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Christmas in Spain and UK

Originally Posted by lynnxa
our kings arrive by boat from the sea and parade through town on horseback, with their helpers throwing sweets to the kids

then all the kids form a huge queue up to a stage where the kings are giving out pressies - they all get to have a chat with a king & a pressie - all free

it's a bloody nightmare & takes ages but I wouldn't dream of not staying for it - the kids would kill me!

Boxing Day.....I was told at school it's because Queen Victoria used to gve her servants their gifts (in boxes) the day after christmas

How is hubby? We haven't had an update from you for a while. I assume he is just on a diet at the moment.. ?
Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
So when do children leave their shoes (to be filled with sweets/presents)outside their bedroom? Dec 5th, 25th, or Epiphany?
Carol
Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:23 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi,
So when do children leave their shoes (to be filled with sweets/presents)outside their bedroom? Dec 5th, 25th, or Epiphany?
Carol

You know.. most people do both..

Santa is on Xmas Eve so parents tend to give the kids presents and tell them that Santa brought them..

Kids leave their shoes out with sweets on the 5th.. usually by the nativity or Xmas tree..

Kids go back to school on the 8th of Jan so parents tend to give them toys and things they can play with on Xmas Eve and the "less interesting" stuff like clothes and so on Epiphany.. this way they get to play with their toys all over Xmas..

Having said this it is obviously up to you what you do..
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hola Anabella,
I asked because just today someone at work had mentioned children celebrating the feast day of St Nicholas, and leaving their shoes out! They were talking about a northern european country (Holland?), and I think the 5th December was an important date. Then, I got to thinking about Spain and remembered the connection with the shoes!! Yes, confusing!
Regards,
Carol
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:06 pm

Hola Anabella,
I asked because just today someone at work had mentioned children celebrating the feast day of St Nicholas, and leaving their shoes out! They were talking about a northern european country (Holland?), and I think the 5th December was an important date. Then, I got to thinking about Spain and remembered the connection with the shoes!! Yes, confusing!
Regards,
Carol

You are right, St Nicolas is in Holland today.. I find that confusing too..
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
You are right, St Nicolas is in Holland today.. I find that confusing too..
Not that confusing as St Nicholas is the basis of Santa Claus, but it's just the dates are different, some European countries celebrate on the 6th Dec, many on the 25th, and some on the 6th January, Spain and Russia to name two for the 6th Jan. I really suspect that given the numbers of people moving around and relocation in EU countries, then people add the celebrations to their own, so those that celebrate the 6th Dec and 6th Jan also celebrate the 25th Dec, and the kids get two or three lots of presents, also the card sellers can see a new market opening up.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure the kids would be the last to moan if they got three lots of goodies
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
I am sure the kids would be the last to moan if they got three lots of goodies

.. any reason is good to celebrate..

I celebrate everything Spanish, English and American.. lucky me..
Old Dec 7th 2006, 3:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
.. any reason is good to celebrate..

I celebrate everything Spanish, English and American.. lucky me..

That`s being greedy

Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
That`s being greedy

No, it sounds fun
Old Dec 13th 2006, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Spanish young is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helenp
Can anyone tell me the main differences between Christmas in Spain and Uk good and bad and what you miss about the UK. Is it as good for the children I have two girls 1 and 5 and pending house sale will be coming to Spain next year.
Also what do the Spanish eat for Christmas Dinner is it Pork? (correct me if I am wrong)

Helen
Hello Helen. I´m a Spaniard living in southern Spain (Granada, Andalusia if you want to search on a map). The Christmast begin in Spain with the national lottery of Christmast (december the 22nd), this a tradition for the adults and every body buy a ticket of the lottery for family with the christmast presents. December 24th is christmas eve and we have a family dinner joint together with different dishes (it depends on the region where you wanna live in Spain) and turrón etc, now a days we have papa noel/santas presents but not all the people do it (it´s a foreing costume, not ours). December 25th we get up so late we have a breakfast of chocolate with "churros" , in Catalonia the dinner of the 24th they celebrate on 25th. December 31 , another dinner with family but... sometimes with friends and could be a party even. This day the costume is only to have 12 grapes with the 12 tones of the bell of Puerta del Sol Clock in Madrid for finishing the year and wellcome the new one.January 1st, well jajajaaj once again we get up so late and once... chocolate with churros but in the street, there are some bars and pubs open early in the morning for serving it. January 5th Reyes Magos eve day , we have parades in all cities and towns and villages with sweets and sweets (paid by the councils, but tradition is tradition) all in the streets. That night you need to clean your shoes and leave some turrón and milk and water for the Reyes Magos (three kings of orient) and there camels. Is the moment for the parents put the presents for the family and the children. January 6th guauuuuuuuuu!!!!!!! day of presents in the morning. If you were good the kings take you a lot of presents if you were bad only coil (sweet coil you can buy on sweets shops) and with that ends the christmas in Spain.

Decoration: tipically we put the Belen,is a reconstruction of bethlehem town in biblical times with jesus , mary and joseph but we have christmast tree too (another foreing tradition).
Old Dec 13th 2006, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Spanish young is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Carol
On january the 5th you should clean your shoes and put with the turron and the milk (or chanpagne) for the kings.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hola! Spanish young,
Thank you for this contribution.
If I were a camel, I'd rather have oats than turron! (No wonder camels have bad breath!)
Granada is beautiful
Regards,
Carol
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

5358tracey is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Differences between Christmas in Spain and UK

It's called a pinata where the kids hit it with a stick until it bursts and then sweets fall out. Also it is called the day of the kings 'Los Reyos', legend has it that the children are supposed to leave a shoe outside the door for one of the kings to leave a gift on the night of the 5th, apparently for a joke parents will sometimes leave a piece of coal in the shoe, this is to indicate to the child that they have been too naughty to receive a gift. Isn't that a fantastic idea - the fact that the only presents they would get would fit in a shoe - not like in the uk when the kids start writing their list from the argos catalogue in November!!!! Another tradition for the New Year is to wear something red for good luck which is why you will find racks and racks of red underwear in the ladies section at this time of year!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by 5358tracey
Another tradition for the New Year is to wear something red for good luck which is why you will find racks and racks of red underwear in the ladies section at this time of year!

That's right starting the year with red underwear is supposed to give you good luck for the year.. but it has to be given to you, you can't buy it yourself.. you are supposed to burn your underwear the next day but most people don't do it.. it's a bit dangerous..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.