Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

D.N.I for Children

D.N.I for Children

Old Oct 16th 2017, 8:42 am
Just Joined

samraven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default D.N.I for Children

My Twins were born in spain almost 13 years ago.
They have been playing for the local football team for 7 years.
They have now been moved upto their First team but need an N.I.E or D.N.I before being allowed to play.

I have been told by their trainer that after living here for more than 10 years and having spanish birth certificates even though both parents are British they are entitled to get a D.N.I.

I phoned the 060 number to get an appt to arrange their D.N.I but to go forward and get an appointment i have to give them the childrens D.N.I number which seems bizarre and we're trying to apply for the first D.N.I

Can anyone pls advise me ??

Help we need to get them an D.N.I asap otherwise they can no longer participate in the football team !!
Old Oct 16th 2017, 8:57 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D.N.I for Children

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 16th 2017, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samraven
My Twins were born in spain almost 13 years ago.
They have been playing for the local football team for 7 years.
They have now been moved upto their First team but need an N.I.E or D.N.I before being allowed to play.

I have been told by their trainer that after living here for more than 10 years and having spanish birth certificates even though both parents are British they are entitled to get a D.N.I.

I phoned the 060 number to get an appt to arrange their D.N.I but to go forward and get an appointment i have to give them the childrens D.N.I number which seems bizarre and we're trying to apply for the first D.N.I

Can anyone pls advise me ??

Help we need to get them an D.N.I asap otherwise they can no longer participate in the football team !!
Suggest you start at a local police station which is authorised to issue documentation : On the Cita previa site it does say : Si Vd. es español mayor de edad y carece de DNI, o es español menor de edad hijo de padres extranjeros sin NIE, deberá dirigirse a una oficina de expedición y solicitar el trámite personalmente.

"Go to an issuing office and ask for the process to be done personally "
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Have spoken to a friend who has a spanish police friend.

I need a new padron dated from last 3 months also i need to get new birth certificates issued within the last 6 months especally for D.N.I purposes and their libro de familiar and he said thats all i need !

Now to get past the cita previa part which asks for the D.N.I number, A friend is hopefully going to try and sort that for me today !

Will keep you posted !
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A D.N.I. is only available to Spanish citizens. Your children would normally need to apply for a N.I.E.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:46 am
Just Joined

i thought the same but have been told twice now because they have been here over 10 years they've 'done their time' so to speak.

Interested myself to find out if its ok the spanish policeman knew we were both british but still said padron spanish birth certificates and libro de familiar plus 10 years or more enititles them to D.N.I !!

Who knew ! lol
Old Oct 16th 2017, 4:34 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samraven
i thought the same but have been told twice now because they have been here over 10 years they've 'done their time' so to speak.

Interested myself to find out if its ok the spanish policeman knew we were both british but still said padron spanish birth certificates and libro de familiar plus 10 years or more enititles them to D.N.I !!

Who knew ! lol
The 10 year period you refer to is the time that a foreigner is required to be (legally) resident before they can apply for citizenship. Once they apply, they have to undertake a test and prove a certain level of Castellano.

Just because children are born in Spain doesn't make them Spanish. So I also agree that I think they will only get NIE's but they will also need residency certificates.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
The 10 year period you refer to is the time that a foreigner is required to be (legally) resident before they can apply for citizenship. Once they apply, they have to undertake a test and prove a certain level of Castellano.

Just because children are born in Spain doesn't make them Spanish. So I also agree that I think they will only get NIE's but they will also need residency certificates.
That was my thinking. The residence period is reduced to one year if you were born in Spain so there may be a simplified process for children.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

Yes I think the OP is hitting walls because to get the DNI the kids need to become Spanish citizens (when I guess they'll automatically be given a DNI anyway). Applying for a DNI without Spanish citizenship doesn't make sense, so people might be assuming they are trying to renew id cards or something.