Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Credit card purchase

Credit card purchase

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit card purchase

I have paid for two flight tickets with monarch using a La Caixa visa credit card for this Friday (6/10). This is new territory for me, can I claim any monies back?
Thanks
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Credit card purchase

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
I have paid for two flight tickets with monarch using a La Caixa visa credit card for this Friday (6/10). This is new territory for me, can I claim any monies back?
Thanks
Some years ago I suspected that a purchase I hade made online with my Spanish CC may be a bit dodgy. I queried regarding any comeback I may have and was met with a shrug and told only if I had insurance. I took from this that the protection available with UK CCs does not apply here. Not surprised, but if anyone knows differently, i’m sure we’d all benefit.
Surely though your claim is with the airline or ATOL?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK you are covered for credit card purchases over £100 - but each of your flight tickets would have to be above that value NOT the total purchase price. Again, in the UK, you may also be covered by your card issuer under the chargeback scheme for purchases under £100 - this from Barclaycard - Chargeback potentially covers purchases of any value, but the way that they work is different. A Chargeback claim only covers the amount of the transaction. Time limits apply to certain types of Chargeback claims – the most common being 120 days – however, we’ll consider claims outside of these time limits.

Unlike Section 75, which is a legal requirement, Chargeback is part of Card Scheme Rules that major card providers like Visa, MasterCard and Amex sign up to.

Best advice is to contact your card company
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Some years ago I suspected that a purchase I hade made online with my Spanish CC may be a bit dodgy. I queried regarding any comeback I may have and was met with a shrug and told only if I had insurance. I took from this that the protection available with UK CCs does not apply here. Not surprised, but if anyone knows differently, i’m sure we’d all benefit.
Surely though your claim is with the airline or ATOL?

You are covered by ATOL only if you have purchased a holiday package (flight + accommodation) for flights only, you simply become one of thousands of creditors................. wait in line.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KieronF
In the UK you are covered for credit card purchases over £100 - but each of your flight tickets would have to be above that value NOT the total purchase price. Again, in the UK, you may also be covered by your card issuer under the chargeback scheme for purchases under £100 - this from Barclaycard - Chargeback potentially covers purchases of any value, but the way that they work is different. A Chargeback claim only covers the amount of the transaction. Time limits apply to certain types of Chargeback claims – the most common being 120 days – however, we’ll consider claims outside of these time limits.

Best advice is to contact your card company
You are quoting UK law which does not as far as I know cover CCs issued by banks from around Europe or the rest of the world.
Hope it does though!
Surely though UK legislation providing protection, cannot apply in Spain concerning the use of Spain’s CCs unless there is similar legislation in Spain?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biffta
You are quoting UK law which does not as far as I know cover CCs issued by banks from around Europe or the rest of the world.
Hope it does though!
Surely though UK legislation providing protection, cannot apply in Spain concerning the use of Spain’s CCs unless there is similar legislation in Spain?
By outlining the process in the UK I was hoping to give the OP a pointer as to what protection might be available. I would have thought that the mighty EU might have legislated for consumer protection. The card issuer is Visa rather than the bank, so protection should be standard.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the responses. The tickets were not expensive and I have now been able to rebook. Just a thought, I tried to rebook this morning (Monday) for friday and was finally able to book for Sunday with easyjet. All previous days sold out. Cheap flights a thing of the past?
Re. Claiming, I think I'll forget it.
Thanks again.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
Thanks
You can ask La Caixa - their Visa Gold certainly comes with a form of accident and travel insurance, not sure if it covers ticket refunds but definitely worth checking.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't you initially make a claim with the Administrators (KMPG) of Monarch. There may be advice on the Monarch or KMPG website.

O'Leary must be laughing his socks off!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Wouldn't you initially make a claim with the Administrators (KMPG) of Monarch. There may be advice on the Monarch or KMPG website.

KPMG will be assessing the value of the assets, looking to maximise their value and will sell off all of the viable elements of the company. Next they have to settle outstanding debts for aircraft, maintenance contracts, outstanding fuel and airport services, staff wages/pensions etc................... working all the way down to the individual flight ticket holders - by which time there will be a next to nothing chance of getting anything back.

If anyone purchased their tickets through a third party, then that party is liable to refund the cost. If tickets were bought with a credit card then there is cover provided by the card company either by way of 'schedule 75' or by chargeback legislation. It should take just over a week for a refund - one call or complete a simple form. Better than nowt.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone

Just picked this out of an article in Daily Mail :

Flight-only customers are not Atol-protected and insurance is unlikely to cover airline failure

I would still try CC claim though
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KieronF
KPMG will be assessing the value of the assets, looking to maximise their value and will sell off all of the viable elements of the company. Next they have to settle outstanding debts for aircraft, maintenance contracts, outstanding fuel and airport services, staff wages/pensions etc................... working all the way down to the individual flight ticket holders - by which time there will be a next to nothing chance of getting anything back.
I understand that but surely you must become a creditor first by making a claim with the Company(In Administration)
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 5:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

A friend had booked flights on Monarch for Xmas with his credit card. One call this morning to Natwest got it credited to his account. Debit cards may be more difficult depending on the bank.

You only need to contact the administrator as a last resort and you are unlikely to get anything anyway.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/