Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa Tropical (Best place to live near a beach)

Costa Tropical (Best place to live near a beach)

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costa Tropical (Best place to live near a beach)

Anyone living in Costa Tropical Region give any advice on the best places to live all year round, what type of weather does it get ?
Any other good advice appreciated.
Kind Regards
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Jeanie27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Costa Tropical (Best place to live near a beach)

Don't want to hijack you from this forum but you might like to look at www.costalivingforums.com This forum centres around the Costa Tropical and you will get a lot of friendly (if slightly biased ) information.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 7:07 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The two major coastal towns on the Costa Tropical are Almunecar and Motril.

The other places of note on the coast are La Herradura and Salobrena.

The climate is better than further west on the Costa del Sol as summer temperatures are less extreme. The rainfall is also lower as by the time the rain has reached Granada province it is usually heading for the mountains rather than the coast.

Winter temperatures are much the same as the rest of the south coast.

As a tourist area it differs from resorts in Malaga province as the majority of visitors are Spanish. Also the holiday period is much shorter. It only gets really crowded for about 6 weeks from mid July to the end of August.

The A7 coastal motorway in the area is due for completion as far as Motril and Granada early next year which will make Granada easily accessible in less than an hour from the coast.

I live on the Costa Tropical so if you want any further info feel free to PM/email me.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Everone forgets my little town and La Rabita/Castell de Ferro on the same coast.
Our valley appears to have warmer winters than most of the south, we have yet to go below about 7dg at night in winter, forum Jeanie has mentioned I do a daily weather report.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 8:37 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

But as has been pointed out on the Andalucia thread, the beaches are supposed to be toxic and the OP specifically wants to live near a beach.

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/t...toxica/677198/
Old Jul 25th 2011, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I dive at Calahonda (Costa Tropical) definately not toxic is blue flagged lovely my favourite beach, actually dont care for La Rabita
Old Jul 25th 2011, 4:59 pm

Unfortunately Blue Flagged seems to have nothing to do with the water quality.

I think Nerja is still Blue Flagged but they are still pumping raw sewage into the sea as they still don't have a treatment plant.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Unfortunately Blue Flagged seems to have nothing to do with the water quality.

I think Nerja is still Blue Flagged but they are still pumping raw sewage into the sea as they still don't have a treatment plant.
Is that the cause of the pinkish residue on the water around Nerja? I use the beaches at Torre and algarroba and you get it there as well? You used to see the little cleaning boats with the scoops but don't seem to see them so often now? When we were first looking for property we quite liked Castell de Ferro and were quite interested in buying, however eventually settled on Sayalonga. Last time we were over we drove to Roquetas de Mar to meet up with a friend who lives over that way. I was gobsmacked when I saw the sea of polly tunnels between Adra and there. That was not an area that would suit me because of them and the barren landscape.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
I dive at Calahonda (Costa Tropical) definately not toxic is blue flagged lovely my favourite beach, actually dont care for La Rabita
A few years ago when we rented near Motril we went to Calahonda swimming on the beach, I found it a very nice beach front but very windy.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22
I was gobsmacked when I saw the sea of polly tunnels between Adra and there. .
You can see them from space - looks like it's been snowing!

Horrible area and totally barren.

There is nothing east of Motril that is worth considering.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

They show up clearly on Google Earth, not a pretty sight!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobd22
A few years ago when we rented near Motril we went to Calahonda swimming on the beach, I found it a very nice beach front but very windy.

not always windy, you must have hit a bad time, when we dive it is very often nice flat calm. but remember when midday comes around the wind will come up, but that is normal by the sea anywhere

need to go near the cliff face where the boats are
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

knock knock Albunol, but that is fine, keeps it tranquil and pleasant, how we like itoh not barren here by the way, almonds abound on the hills, plus vines and olive trees, we have orange trees and lemons near us, flowers in spring. yes past Adra is the flat scape of plastic.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:16 am

knock knock Albunol, but that is fine, keeps it tranquil and pleasant, how we like it
You are the only person who has mentioned Albunol.

Unless I am missing something, I was not aware that it was a coastal town or that it had a beach..
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

knock knock Albunol, but that is fine, keeps it tranquil and pleasant, how we like itoh not barren here by the way, almonds abound on the hills, plus vines and olive trees, we have orange trees and lemons near us, flowers in spring. yes past Adra is the flat scape of plastic.
As Fred said, you're the only one that has brought up Albuñol. It´s great that you like the place and are happy there, but as I said, most stay away from there for a good reason. Many only went there because property is so much cheaper, and again, with good reason. As for the plastic further along that coastline, have a look at Google Earth, it´s scary, it´s unreal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.