Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa de la luz

Costa de la luz

Old Mar 8th 2005, 2:32 pm
Banned

All New is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costa de la luz

Could someone give an opinion on the Costa de la luz, It seems to be getting popular. I will prefer opinions from a visitors to area, not home owners. (Looking for an independent opinion here) also any views on other costa welcome.

Thank You
Old Mar 8th 2005, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of
Default Re: Costa de la luz

The Costa de la Luz is very long and basically divided into 2 parts. The part west of Donaña park which is Huelva Province and the part to the east - Cadiz Province. Each has a slightly different feeling. The Huelva side is a bit more like the Algarve of Portugal but with more new building going on. However, the new building is being suitably 'controlled' so the coast line is never going to be ruined. This side has access to the hills inland such as Sierra de Aracena which borders on the next northerly province of Extramadura. Access to Seville is easy as is Faro for the airports.

The eastern side, in my opinion, more interesting as it has a mixture of different towns and cities as well as a good infrastructure particulalrly around Cadiz Bay. Some parts have been over developed but it is not as bad as other costas I have seen. A town like El Puerto de Santa Maria, which has grown up with the sherry business, does have plenty of activity year round. It's not a sleepy retirement place like some other coastal towns that seem to be marvellous in the summer months but soon turn into quiet areas in the winter.

One thing about the Costa de la Luz is the tidal sea - it's on the Atlantic so the beaches are washed by the tides - and the winds. Sometimes the levante wind can blow very sharply from the east. In winter it is nippy to say the least. However the wind ususally blows out after a couple of days. The more humid winds from the Atlantic are indeed humid and this is one of the reasons the sherry bodegas are well placed for the aging process.

The beaches are generally marvellous with natural sand and with the Atlantic ocean, you can find some good surfing days. Property prices have been going up quite strongly partly due to the demand from northern europe fuelled by easier and cheaper flights into Jerez and Seville (Ryanair) as well as good roads. A new dual carriageway road has now been opened from near Gibraltar to Jerez (A381) which is a real bonus. Railway links are also being improved from Cadiz to Seville. Roads generally are good in the region.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:28 pm
Banned

All New is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nige
The Costa de la Luz is very long and basically divided into 2 parts. The part west of Donaña park which is Huelva Province and the part to the east - Cadiz Province. Each has a slightly different feeling. The Huelva side is a bit more like the Algarve of Portugal but with more new building going on. However, the new building is being suitably 'controlled' so the coast line is never going to be ruined. This side has access to the hills inland such as Sierra de Aracena which borders on the next northerly province of Extramadura. Access to Seville is easy as is Faro for the airports.

The eastern side, in my opinion, more interesting as it has a mixture of different towns and cities as well as a good infrastructure particulalrly around Cadiz Bay. Some parts have been over developed but it is not as bad as other costas I have seen. A town like El Puerto de Santa Maria, which has grown up with the sherry business, does have plenty of activity year round. It's not a sleepy retirement place like some other coastal towns that seem to be marvellous in the summer months but soon turn into quiet areas in the winter.

One thing about the Costa de la Luz is the tidal sea - it's on the Atlantic so the beaches are washed by the tides - and the winds. Sometimes the levante wind can blow very sharply from the east. In winter it is nippy to say the least. However the wind ususally blows out after a couple of days. The more humid winds from the Atlantic are indeed humid and this is one of the reasons the sherry bodegas are well placed for the aging process.

The beaches are generally marvellous with natural sand and with the Atlantic ocean, you can find some good surfing days. Property prices have been going up quite strongly partly due to the demand from northern europe fuelled by easier and cheaper flights into Jerez and Seville (Ryanair) as well as good roads. A new dual carriageway road has now been opened from near Gibraltar to Jerez (A381) which is a real bonus. Railway links are also being improved from Cadiz to Seville. Roads generally are good in the region.
Thanks

I have got that exited I have booked a flight into Faro on Sunday; I will visit the Huelva Province first.

I have details of Isla canela. I have been reading the views posted on Costa Esuri. Can anyone suggest other places and Names of developments?

Thanks
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by All New
Thanks

I have got that exited I have booked a flight into Faro on Sunday; I will visit the Huelva Province first.

I have details of Isla canela. I have been reading the views posted on Costa Esuri. Can anyone suggest other places and Names of developments?

Thanks
Its good that you are coming now when the cold Atlandic winds whip round the coast.They will effect most of the Huelva Region and further south to Sanlucar. The bay of Cadiz, seems to be shelterred from winds, but further down towards Gibraltar is Tarifa where the popular sport of wind surfing and kiting is practised because of the 100% availability of strong winds.
Be aware that you cannot drive along the coast southwards from Huelva and need to go inland to Sevilla and cross the river first.... sorry if you know that already !!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

escapeemike is an unknown quantity at this point

undefinedundefined
Hi, If you are looking for a good development then the new development called sea and sun in Costa Esuri is fantastic. The starting price is 130,000 euros for 2 bed 2 bath apartment. Building hasnt started yet so good time to secure a plot. you can contact me for details as I acting for the developer in the UK so can forward some details if you like. You can get me on 0161 351 2160 at escapes2 - www.escapes2.com

I look forward to hearing from anyone who would like details.

Bye for now,

Mike.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

P.TINKS has a brilliant futureP.TINKS has a brilliant futureP.TINKS has a brilliant futureP.TINKS has a brilliant futureP.TINKS has a brilliant futureP.TINKS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by All New
Thanks

Thanks
Hi ? don`t know your name, sorry. But what I do know is that the whole of Anulucia is a fabulous region, the people,the scenery,the weather,the food etc.
I have been going to this area for the past 10 years & have loved it.
Look forward to seeing you in one of the many bars in Ayamonte.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:53 am
stevetheradio

stevetheradio is an unknown quantity at this point

I have recently bought an apartment in the centre of Ayamonte, its a beautiful town and having been there throughout this winter I am looking forward to the summer!
There seem to be some good bars in the town, not least the piano bar and Bibliotek, situated down a sidestreet about 100 yards from Plaza de la Laguna and happily enough about 75 yards from my place.....!
Whilst I applaud the people that are buying apartments etc in Isla Canela and Costa Esuri, I would recommend that anyone that is looking to buy a place to live in permanently take a bit of time and have a look to see what the town itself has to offer.