Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish TV channel in english

Spanish TV channel in english

Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice
Default Spanish TV channel in english

About 2 to 3 yrs ago, a friend who I was sharing a flat with, brought one of those new vega sony TVs the lcd type, and I remember being able to watch a spanish channel, that showed films and I was able to watch the film in english, it was not digital or cable or sat, it was through the normal tv antena,
does anyone know of this, because I was thinking of getting a new tv and wanted to be able to do the same.
For example, I know you wont get tve in english, or tele cinco, ect But I watched the same tv stations on a older set, and wasnt able to do this.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

strobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spanish TV channel in english

There used to be a Sony channel until it went scrambled a few months back - I can't get anything now without satellite.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice

maybe that was it then, thanks
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:43 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

A few of the older analogue channels used to broadcast movies in DUAL - with spanish on the left channel, and the original (english) on the right channel, so you could filter one or the other....

BUt most of Spain swicthed off the national and many region analogue TV signals around easter, and its all available in digital - with one or two (TVE) in HD - way ahead of the UK which will still be switching over for another 2 or so years!!!!!

With TDT many of the 40plus channels show many UK and USA imports, and its just a case of pressing an AUDIO button on the remote to change the language. Many channel do so, Disney, TVE, Canal9, Sexta, Ant3, Nitro, etc...

So you will need either a TV with built in digital terrestrial tuner, or a seperate set top box. Howver, I have found that even some big name brands have TV with built in tuners that perform badly compared to seperate set top boxes...
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:17 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Guy
A few of the older analogue channels used to broadcast movies in DUAL - with spanish on the left channel, and the original (english) on the right channel, so you could filter one or the other....

BUt most of Spain swicthed off the national and many region analogue TV signals around easter, and its all available in digital - with one or two (TVE) in HD - way ahead of the UK which will still be switching over for another 2 or so years!!!!!

With TDT many of the 40plus channels show many UK and USA imports, and its just a case of pressing an AUDIO button on the remote to change the language. Many channel do so, Disney, TVE, Canal9, Sexta, Ant3, Nitro, etc...

So you will need either a TV with built in digital terrestrial tuner, or a seperate set top box. Howver, I have found that even some big name brands have TV with built in tuners that perform badly compared to seperate set top boxes...
Yes this is what we do and I watch House and Desperate Housewives in English. Kids can switch Spongebob in English or spanish by just pressing Audio button.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

so with my seperate tunner box, that i now have to use, I can switch to english or spanish on some programs, or do I have to switch something on the TV as well. I dont have a sat system, just the old system that I now have to use a seperate tunner box with.
I like to watch say films, can you give me example of what I have to do.
Is the new seperate tunner box, that now everyone has to have, better , by that I mean I can switch some thiings to english.
Ive confused myself now,
Old Aug 27th 2010, 10:18 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

On the old analogue system, that used the tuner in the TV, and so you used the TV remote.

Now if you get a new TV with TDT built in, or a seperate set top box, there will be a button (on the new TV remote or the set top box remote) or menu option to change the language to the programme original version.

Either

You connect the TV aerial from the wall socket to the TV, Scan channels (only when installing for the first time), select a channel, press the audio button and select the language.

Or

You connect the TV aerial from the wall socket to the TDT set top box, and the TV OUT SCART on the TDT Set top box to a SCART socket on your TV. Select the SCART on the TV (if the TV does not automatically switch to it), scan for new channels (only when installing for the first time) , and select a channel, press the audio button and select the language.

Most TVs and set top boxes come with instructions, most in Spanish, but also in english,a nd many are available on tinternet somewhere...
Old Aug 27th 2010, 10:32 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

You need the remote control only.

With the remote control of the top box I press a green button (Audio) and it gives me a pop up so you can select the language..by then pressing the arrow button to choose the language (usually spanish or English) and then press OK.

With our new TV the remote is different. I press Q Menu and a pop up menu with the language is shown. I scroll down and choose language..often English or spanish is offered..but some channels only come in spanish.

You can just flick through all your channels and see if it gives you the option.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by manamama; Aug 27th 2010 at 10:35 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:03 pm

Unfortunately not all TVs with built in TDT or TDT set top boxes keep / save the audio setting when you change channel, so if you channel hop you may have to constantly change the audio track - ok when it is on button on a remote, not so good when you have to go through a menu syste,m like on some TVs...

you cannot set them to go to the English sound track, as these audio tracks have various name tags - like VO, MUL, DOS , QAA, and these are not definable in the audio setup inthe menus. They have not beed standardised and so eahc broadcaster uses a different name tag for "the second audio track"

I think only Disney use the word "English" in their audio track name tag - so this will always go to English sound track (when availbale) if English has been selected as the prefered primary audio soundtrack.

Last edited by The Guy; Aug 27th 2010 at 11:06 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:19 pm

Yes that´s another important thing.

Only Disney "remembers" to stay in English...the other channels you keep having to change the audio to English..so if you channel hop during the adverts you have to change the audio again to English when you return.

Just a minor problem.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:40 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
Yes that´s another important thing.

Only Disney "remembers" to stay in English...the other channels you keep having to change the audio to English..so if you channel hop during the adverts you have to change the audio again to English when you return.

Just a minor problem.
a few of ours 'remember' to stay in the original language - it's quite funny sometimes - you suddenly realise that the cartoon is in Japanese or the film is in German

must depend on the box
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:50 am

like i said "not all"

It is always funny listening tot he dubbed "actors" voices - especially when the different channels / movie studios do not use the same voice actors for the same characters...I am sure Arnies voice has changed about 6 times in 6 films I have seen on spanish tv!!

Disney remebers to stay in English as you can actuall set the Audio option in the Tv / STB to "English". SET also used the word "English" for their audio - however, the other channels do not - as they show a range of programmes from all over - there is a Germabn police series each morning on one channel...
Old Aug 28th 2010, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of tvs receiving signals from seperate aerials.

The tv with built-in tdt losers the english when channel hopping which drves me mad, whilst the tv with a seperate box retains the english.

If I buy another box and cannot get the same make how will I know if it will retain the english?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I have a couple of tvs receiving signals from seperate aerials.

The tv with built-in tdt losers the english when channel hopping which drves me mad, whilst the tv with a seperate box retains the english.

If I buy another box and cannot get the same make how will I know if it will retain the english?
Like I said, some do and some dont, ....Most use the same or very similar software these days, and its just the box components and name on the case thats different...

It if dont, take it back and get another make and model...

Last edited by The Guy; Aug 28th 2010 at 1:42 pm.