Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Cost Of Living In Spain

The Cost Of Living In Spain

Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:15 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cost Of Living In Spain

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, you can eat like a king with a €3 MDD.
King as in Elvis? because he won`t be eating much now.

I have never seen a 3euro MDD and would not really want to.

Selling your product so cheap is bad for eveyone, everyone ends up a loser.

TBH I would feel terrible asking for a MDD that cheap, I would feel that I was aking advantage of someones misfortune.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
King as in Elvis? because he won`t be eating much now.

I have never seen a 3euro MDD and would not really want to.

Selling your product so cheap is bad for eveyone, everyone ends up a loser.

TBH I would feel terrible asking for a MDD that cheap, I would feel that I was aking advantage of someones misfortune.
I think aggy is having a joke,
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:31 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Some chains are now selling canyas at 40 cents a go. The argument according to this article (in Spanish) is that they can afford to since the beer only costs them 10 cents to provide to customers. I still can't see how it can work considering the cost of things like rent, terraza fees etc., but I suppose it was the same with Weatherspoons. Once you build up the loyal customer base (and economies of scale) you can then increase prices.

http://www.abc.es/economia/20130828/...308271740.html
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:35 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
I think aggy is having a joke,
I KNOW aggy is having a joke.

We share a lot of the same views.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Some chains are now selling canyas at 40 cents a go. The argument according to this article (in Spanish) is that they can afford to since the beer only costs them 10 cents to provide to customers. I still can't see how it can work considering the cost of things like rent, terraza fees etc., but I suppose it was the same with Weatherspoons. Once you build up the loyal customer base (and economies of scale) you can then increase prices.

http://www.abc.es/economia/20130828/...308271740.html
Is that the same method that the biggies like ASDA, Tesco and the like are accused of doing.

ie taking a loss on certain products that they advertise to corner the market, then when the competition is wiped out, they can do what they like.

So is it a good thing at 40cents, the local bars cannot compete, and they will close.

Then you will be without those friendly bars with the personal touch, were the landlord invites you to a drink on the house that you often talk about.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
I KNOW aggy is having a joke.

We share a lot of the same views.
No, serious! We used to have a prominent member here (when I read him) telling us about a €3 MDD. Three courses, a €1 a course, I bet it was brill!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:50 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons that forced my hand in moving back to Madrid (apart from the obvious one that I've found a business I can buy cheaply and hopefully make money out of) was an incident a few weeks back.
Going for a walk with my partner we decided to look for a pub doing snacks. Just a burger each, a small bowl of chips and a couple of beers cost us £25
Sorry, but I'll stick to a canya for just over a pound and with a free tapa thanks - with the option to add in a racion of say 5 or 6 euros.
It may be that one day average prices catch up with the UK, and if that happens I may be reduced to drinking cheap plonk from the carton

Oops - I said "free tapa" again didn't I? Should have put "free snack or nibble, in either tapa, pincho or canapes form"....

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Aug 28th 2013 at 6:55 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

My dogs vets bill here in Spain have been much cheaper than in UK, vets bills in Portugal have been much cheaper than in UK.

My last IBI bill was doubled on the previous year, kicking 1000 euros .. reason given the Ayuntamiento is broke o they double the bills. The bank where you paid the bills La Caixa closed as did the relevant local council office. You now have to go to the next big town to pay it.

Food shopping here has gone up a lot especially meat and chicken which is mostly disgusting in supermarkets grey tasteless and way over priced. Plus I don't like the way they butcher it here always blood vessels and slivers of bone.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 7:44 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

No comparison with a joint of quality English beef, nor between English and Spanish butchers most of whose products I wouldn't even feed to the dog.

As for that cheap beer Stevie is ranting about, I doubt if anyone would risk their reputation by even trying to sell it in a UK supermarket or Pub.
It's so bad, I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemy.

Munching my way through a nice leg of English venison at present washed down with a drop of real ale.

I wonder if the Spanish even have a clue what it is.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Munching my way through a nice leg of English venison at present washed down with a drop of real ale.
Much more humble fare here, but really enjoyable, chicken and leek pie from the local farm shop, a pile of garden fresh runner beans and some new local potatoes. Washed down with a cup of tea. Talking of venison, one of our favourites from the shop is chicken stuffed with venison, bit more than €3, but worth every penny.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
One of the reasons that forced my hand in moving back to Madrid (apart from the obvious one that I've found a business I can buy cheaply and hopefully make money out of) was an incident a few weeks back.
Going for a walk with my partner we decided to look for a pub doing snacks. Just a burger each, a small bowl of chips and a couple of beers cost us £25
Sorry, but I'll stick to a canya for just over a pound and with a free tapa thanks - with the option to add in a racion of say 5 or 6 euros.
It may be that one day average prices catch up with the UK, and if that happens I may be reduced to drinking cheap plonk from the carton

Oops - I said "free tapa" again didn't I? Should have put "free snack or nibble, in either tapa, pincho or canapes form"....
A few points to note here. You are in Central London. You quote 40 cent beers in Spain. Why didn't you go to your local wetherspoons and eat cheaper and drink cheaper.

Was your burger good? Personally I don't think £25 is excessive.

Like so many on here you are trying to compare apples with pears. There's no doubt you love Spain and the UK but what good do you think you are doing the Spanish economy by getting a beer and bit of tucker for a measly 40cents.

Such low sales encourage illegality, prohibit capital investment, keep wages seriously low or in some family business almost non-existent.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 8:17 pm
Not Banned (yet)

A few points to note here. You are in Central London. You quote 40 cent beers in Spain. Why didn't you go to your local wetherspoons and eat cheaper and drink cheaper.

Was your burger good? Personally I don't think £25 is excessive.

Like so many on here you are trying to compare apples with pears. There's no doubt you love Spain and the UK but what good do you think you are doing the Spanish economy by getting a beer and bit of tucker for a measly 40cents.

Such low sales encourage illegality, prohibit capital investment, keep wages seriously low or in some family business almost non-existent.
Wetherspoons have gradually become a lot more expensive, at least here in London.
When
I compare the uk capital with Madrid cost wise then Madrid wins hands down.
Don't worry I doubt I will frequent the 40 cent chains, plenty of traditional bars that serve a beer for just over a pound. Of course that is not the only cost. Internet access will be a shade more expensive no doubt.
But overall the things I either need, or the odd beer or coffee in a bar, will all be a lot cheaper. And of course heating will probably be a similar cost. Will it always be that way? No one can say for sure. Vamos a ver..
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, even Wetherspoons is light years ahead in every possible respect of your average scruffy, rough and ready Spanish bar flogging the sort of second rate grub incl yesterdays tapas and fizzy liquid they pass off as beer that Steven refers to.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:38 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have tests in Spain to check the beer hasn't been watered down
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

As for the beer, last time I was in Carrefour, in Elche it was 38c for a can of 568ml of Amstel, I know it is 1) a graded version of Heineken and 2) sadly brewed in Spain, which gives it a manky flavour but for that price, you could drink 3/4 of the can and chuck the rest when it gets warm.

The funny thing is Amstel in Spain tastes to me better than Spanish brewed Heinie, anywhere else Amstel would not get a look in !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.