Reload this Page >

Convalidating a PGCE-QTS Spain

Convalidating a PGCE-QTS Spain

Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

theror is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Convalidating a PGCE-QTS Spain

Originally Posted by EnglishPatriot
From what I've read British degrees and qualifications are rarely accepted as like for like in Spain and in most cases mean either having to do further modules to get it approved as equivalent, or in some cases you need to retrain entirely.
Yes, I agree, but what you have posted is not helpful. I am interested in doing the "Traductor Jurado" exams and will undoubtedly have the same problem "convalidating" ( surely shome mishtake) my qualifications. I have a degree and PGCE and have no intention, like Chickpea above, of studying Spanish Language ("Lengua") or wasting time on other senseless subjects in order to achieve this.

My argument principally is that if Spain has signed up to EU agreements on qualifications, then like it or not they are bound to respect them. I would dearly like to know if there are more people out there who had similar problems, and how they have overcome them - or not, as may be the case!
Thanks in advance
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

theror is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Convalidating a PGCE-QTS Spain

Originally Posted by theror
Yes, I agree, but what you have posted is not helpful. I am interested in doing the "Traductor Jurado" exams and will undoubtedly have the same problem "convalidating" ( surely shome mishtake) my qualifications. I have a degree and PGCE and have no intention, like Chickpea above, of studying Spanish Language ("Lengua") or wasting time on other senseless subjects in order to achieve this.

My argument principally is that if Spain has signed up to EU agreements on qualifications, then like it or not they are bound to respect them. I would dearly like to know if there are more people out there who had similar problems, and how they have overcome them - or not, as may be the case!
Thanks in advance
Originally Posted by RacheyBabes
Hi. I may have missed something but in case I haven't, I will add my tuppence worth.

After many years I have finally got myself ready to ask for the professional recognition in Spain of my qualifications and experience as a teacher. I am planning to go to hand all of my many bits of paper to the junta tomorrow.

I will be submitting a modelo de solicitud de reconocimiento de titulos obtenidos en la Union Europea para el ejercicio de las profesiones reguladas por la directiva 2005/36/CE.

As far as I am aware, there is no cost to this.

I am under no illusions that this piece of paper that I will hopefully receive will make it easy to present myself for oposiciones, but I do think that it may help me to work in a concertado in the future. Obviously anyone hoping to make it through oposiciones needs to have as many qualifications as possible recognised, but if I understood correctly, the question was about being able to work as a teacher, and in theory, this piece of paper may do it for me!

I was intending to ask for a grado at the level of licenciatura as well, but I am reconsidering this as it costs 93 euros, and I'm not sure that I will make use of it. There is no way that I would ever ask for a named degree as I am not prepared to undertake any further undergraduate studies.

I hope that this post has answered your question - yes EU law says that Spain must accept all EU teaching qualifications, and yes, as far as I am aware, Spain does so. I think the problem is that so few people have been through this process, that there is a lot of misinformation out there which confuses us.

PS: in case it is at all relevant - all masters are convalidated with a Spanish university (not the Department of Education) and it is your responsibility to find a uni that offers an identical masters (I have considered doing this as well).

Very interesting and helpful post. I am thinking of going in for the Traductor Jurado exams and wasn't even aware of this "solicitud". How did you get on, BTW?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 4:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theror

Thanks in advance
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:40 am
Just Joined

MARTA SERRANO is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I have a very similar situation. I am Spanish though, but I have done the PGCE over here and now I am thinking of moving back to Spain so I am trying to get it recognised through "Reconocimiento de Títulos obtenidos en la Unión Europea para el ejercicio de las profesiones reguladas por la Directiva 2005/36/CE" as has been mentioned here. All I wanted to know is if anyone has been accepted or declined in this process since not many people seem to know much about it.
Many thanks,
Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:46 am
Just Joined

MARTA SERRANO is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I am Spanish and I have done the PGCE in England and worked in state school here for 5 years.
I now want to move back to Spain but I need to get my PGCE recognised by Reconocimiento de Títulos obtenidos en la Unión Europea para el ejercicio de las profesiones reguladas por la Directiva 2005/36/CE.
Has anyone managed to get it recognised or are there too many problems to get this? I do not want to do the Master CAP which is no where near as good as the PGCE.
Any experiencies, positive or negative?

Thanks!
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary
Old May 5th 2015, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

victormb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MARTA SERRANO
Hi everyone,

I am Spanish and I have done the PGCE in England and worked in state school here for 5 years.
I now want to move back to Spain but I need to get my PGCE recognised by Reconocimiento de Títulos obtenidos en la Unión Europea para el ejercicio de las profesiones reguladas por la Directiva 2005/36/CE.
Has anyone managed to get it recognised or are there too many problems to get this? I do not want to do the Master CAP which is no where near as good as the PGCE.
Any experiencies, positive or negative?

Thanks!
Hi Marta (and everyone else):

I am very much in the same situation as yourself. I did a PGCE course in England years ago, and completed my BA at an American Uni. I have visited the local branch of the Ministry of Education a few times in the last couple of months to see if they could bring some light into this. In my particular case, Reconocimiento de Títulos obtenidos en la Unión Europea para el ejercicio de las profesiones reguladas por la Directiva 2005/36/CE seems to be the only pathway worth trying, as getting both my BA and PGCE course validated on an individual basis will most likely prove next to impossible. Yesterday, during my last visit I was told about the case of an Australian teacher who managed to get professional recognition in Spain recently. Yet, there seems to be a lot of confussion among civil servants at the MEC about the procedure to follow, as I was told last week that I needed to contact the UK National Contact Point for Professional Qualifications (teaching is a regulated profession in Spain). I contacted them to request a certificate of experience. Well, according to the NCP coordinator, they are not allowed to provide certificates of experience for educators... Back to the Ministerio. Yesterday, I was told I needed to contact the UK-NARIC this time, as they could certainly provide me with an "accreditation for my teaching credentials"(?)... I contacted the UK-NARIC about half-an-hour ago... they cannot do such thing. All they do is to establish the comparability of UK courses and foreign qualifications (but, tuns out, my PGCE course is indeed an English qualification...)

It is true that, as mentioned above by another user, "a professional status in one EU country must be honoured in another". Under any circumstances should a PGCE holder be required to complete the current Master de Educacion in Spain (Spaniards who completed the previous teaching qualification known as "CAP", are given QTS in England in a matter of weeks)

Has any of you been granted professional recognition in the end? Apparently, once this has been accomplished, we should be eligible to register for civil service exams. No restrictions of any sort apply.

Thanks
Old May 5th 2015, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by victormb
Hi Marta (and everyone else):

I am very much in the same situation as yourself. I did a PGCE course in England years ago, and completed my BA at an American Uni.
Has any of you been granted professional recognition in the end? Apparently, once this has been accomplished, we should be eligible to register for civil service exams. No restrictions of any sort apply.

Thanks
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary
Old Jun 13th 2015, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

eddyverdy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Chickpea

I m a teacher of French and Spanish and did a PGCE in 1998 . IN 2010 , i MANAGED TO GET A Professional RECOGNITION OF MY pgce which means i didin t have to do a Masters . The process took less than 5 MONTHS . you have to ask for reconocimiento profesional . But you have to have completed your QTS in Englqnd ,

Eddy
Old Jun 13th 2015, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by eddyverdy
Hey Chickpea

I m a teacher of French and Spanish and did a PGCE in 1998 . IN 2010 , i MANAGED TO GET A Professional RECOGNITION OF MY pgce which means i didin t have to do a Masters . The process took less than 5 MONTHS . you have to ask for reconocimiento profesional . But you have to have completed your QTS in Englqnd ,

Eddy

Rosemary