Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cheap satalite broadband on the costa !!!

Cheap satalite broadband on the costa !!!

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheap satalite broadband on the costa !!!

i´ve found a company called "fonetica".. in their advert they offer installation from as little as €199 and €29.95 a month...for satalite internet!!! now that is CHEAP as CHIPS !!!

has anyone got any experience of their services ? anyone heard of them ?

their number is *** *** ***, or they have a website - www.fonetica.com

i´d be very interested in this as we are hoping to move to the campo and will need internet
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cheap satalite broadband on the costa !!!

Are you sure this is for a two way satellite system?

When I telephoned them they said you had to have line of sight to the Mijas tower. Not a lot of good if you live inland!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Are you sure this is for a two way satellite system?

When I telephoned them they said you had to have line of sight to the Mijas tower. Not a lot of good if you live inland!

in the advert it said "works anywhere".. it doesn´t mention line of sight to the mijas tower.. thats pants then

(why was the number edited out ? sorry, is that advertising for them?)
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

This isn't a "works anywhere" solution and, in the area where it does work, you'd be pretty much covered by Telefonica etc anyway.

These schemes work in areas where there is a large amount of interest , i.e. decent potential customer base. The operator will put in receiving equipment at one location and then "bounce" that to the surrounding area.

There are companies that offer true 2-way satellite broadband, including Telefonica. With Telefonica you'll wait several months for them to realise that they sell it, confirm that you confirmed twice already that you ***really did order it*** then eventually you'll get it.... meanwhile the cat died, the wife left you, your car got stolen and you sold up and moved back to the UK.

If anyone is interested in details of bi-directional sat broadband with VOIP then PM me, it isn't cheap to setup though on an individual basis although monthly costs are same if not cheaper than Telefonica.

This solution can be used *anywhere* , subject to there not being a mountain between you and the sky.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me if there is a cheap dial up operator apart from Telefonica. I live in Cadiz area. also how do you get a telephone bill from Telefonica, have tried phoning but don't seem to get anywhere!!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Fonetica doesn't use satellites. They use "Wi-Fi" (wireless broadband) technology. Wi-Fi signals tend to be weak which is why you need to be in line of site of the transmitter, in this case the Mijas tower.

It's good technology and is helping many people who are unable to get phone lines (which even in this day and age is still a problem in this part of the world).
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

In responce to your question. Do you have a apartado Correos box number? have you given this number to Telefonica? also check with the person behind the counter and check the pigion boxes behind the desk. ask the man/woman for your surname and or initals. as the post office sometimes puts mail in the cubbie holes behind the counter and you have to ask.

Can anyone tell me if there is a cheap dial up operator apart from Telefonica. I live in Cadiz area. also how do you get a telephone bill from Telefonica, have tried phoning but don't seem to get anywhere!!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

dougie V is an unknown quantity at this point

for a good dial up check out www.gonuts4free.com