Reload this Page >

Changing Spanish residence details from British to Irish Nationality

Changing Spanish residence details from British to Irish Nationality

Old Dec 12th 2017, 11:06 am
Just Joined

dastanes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing Spanish residence details from British to Irish Nationality

Hi,

I can't see this covered elsewhere, apologies if it is. Basically I am a dual British/Irish citizen, got both passports. I first moved to Spain in early 2013 and got my Nie and certificado de registro under my British passport - so they have my nationality registered as British.

Given Brexit uncertainty, is it possible for me to change my registered nationality to Irish? I realise that UK residents in Spain will be allowed to remain, I'd just rather avoid any potential unnecessary hassle by having myself registered as an Irish (so EU) citizen. My own reading online has given me conflicting advice as to whether changing the nationality I am registered as is possible, and if it actually matters?

Anyone have any insight?
Thanks!
Old Dec 12th 2017, 2:29 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Spanish residence details from British to Irish Nationality

I doubt many will have experience. I would suggest you contact Irish embassy for advice. https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/Spain/
Old Dec 12th 2017, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Spanish residence details from British to Irish Nationality

Originally Posted by dastanes
Hi,

I can't see this covered elsewhere, apologies if it is. Basically I am a dual British/Irish citizen, got both passports. I first moved to Spain in early 2013 and got my Nie and certificado de registro under my British passport - so they have my nationality registered as British.

Given Brexit uncertainty, is it possible for me to change my registered nationality to Irish? I realise that UK residents in Spain will be allowed to remain, I'd just rather avoid any potential unnecessary hassle by having myself registered as an Irish (so EU) citizen. My own reading online has given me conflicting advice as to whether changing the nationality I am registered as is possible, and if it actually matters?

Anyone have any insight?
Thanks!
Not sure if it is absolutely relevant but there is a form that exists in order to communicate change in nationality etc to the authorities, basically the nearest Police station that deals with Extranjeros, - have a look at this link :
http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/...-SITUACION.pdf

Came across it some time ago when my wife was doing her Spanish nationality and she had to get a "Certificado de Concodancia " which basically stated she was the same person as shown on her old NIE and her new Spanish passport DNI. In the end no one ever asked for it but still just part of the process.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 8:33 am
Just Joined

dastanes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the form, I’ll take a look at it. Unfortunately the Irish/British embassy can’t help so I think I might just have to try and see what happens. Thanks for the replies, I’ll update if I get any clear information for any other British people who have taken up their Irish passport...
Old Dec 15th 2017, 9:11 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic,
Mr Varadkar also said under the text of this deal “every person in Northern Ireland has the right to Irish and EU citizenship. All they have to do is exercise the right to Irish and EU citizenship.”
Old Dec 18th 2017, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Slightly off topic,
My wife is just about to get her Irish citizenship based on her Irish grandfather. Been eight long months wait. However we have got there, I will become her dependant she will be a dual national our three children can now also apply to become dual nationals. We own our house here jointly between the five of us so this is our insurance for the future.

The next step is to change registrations at the Extranjanos office in Huelva, the initial registration back in 2005 was difficult, it took three attempts to get Residencia Permenante in 20216/17 so making the change for just one of us will not be easy then to be recognised as her dependant will be beyond the staff there. I have begun the research and found that here is some help on the CAB Spain website but even they say it is not yet clear. The only parallel to the Ireland situation would appear to be Cyprus where the whole island is in the EU so norther Turkish Cypriots are recognised as EU Citizens but even then there is no such thing as the Common Travel area.

I do not see health care or State/Government pensions as a problem since there must hundreds of thousands of Irish citizens who have spent a working life in UK then retired back home or some to Spain even, so it will not be a new or unique circumstance so my wife will be just the same as them to overseas pension office and NHS. The problem is likely to be in Spain where few local officials will know about the common travel area and the ease with which pensions and healthcare are moved between Ireland and UK for workers and retirees.