Reload this Page >

Changing my spanish plates back to UK plates

Changing my spanish plates back to UK plates

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

MNW_Madrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing my spanish plates back to UK plates

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes you do, just one form ...... and you probably will get the same plates you had when you left the UK as I did. I've just gone through the process.

Go to your local DVLA office and tell them what you want to do. Give them your old registration number and they will check it for you. Because the car was already registered in the UK once its a relatively simple job. They will give you the forum to complete

You'll need to get the car taxed and insured before you go back to the DVLA to re register the car and I am told it will be done immediately. The MOT can either be done on the chassis number, or the reg no (check with dvla first to make sure the number is still ok)
Mitzyboy (and anyone else with recent experience):

I'm in the same situation (I bought my RHD car in England in 2007 on UK plates, changed over to Spanish plates when I moved over with work and I'm shortly moving back to the UK) and I'd be grateful for advice on specific steps you followed.

The issue that I have come across is the following: I'll be driving the car back to the UK in about 4 weeks' time. If I deregister the car in Spain before leaving, it can no longer be driven, which shoots that plan down.

If I first re-register with the DVLA, the DVLA advises me that they hold on to the Spanish car registration documents, which I am told I need to de-register the car in Spain.

Is the solution to de-register in Spain first, get placas verdes (the green provisional plates) for the trip to the UK, then re-register with the DVLA?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Mark
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNW_Madrid
Mitzyboy (and anyone else with recent experience):

I'm in the same situation (I bought my RHD car in England in 2007 on UK plates, changed over to Spanish plates when I moved over with work and I'm shortly moving back to the UK) and I'd be grateful for advice on specific steps you followed.

The issue that I have come across is the following: I'll be driving the car back to the UK in about 4 weeks' time. If I deregister the car in Spain before leaving, it can no longer be driven, which shoots that plan down.

If I first re-register with the DVLA, the DVLA advises me that they hold on to the Spanish car registration documents, which I am told I need to de-register the car in Spain.

Is the solution to de-register in Spain first, get placas verdes (the green provisional plates) for the trip to the UK, then re-register with the DVLA?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Mark
I'm not going back to the UK, so the car has gone back there on Spanish Insurance and is still registered in Spain. I havent been asked for any Spanish documents in the UK.

I simply went to the DVLA local office, told them what I wanted to do, and they got the forum out and part filled it in for me. They checked the old UK plate which is still available. I need to return with an MOT, tax and a UK insurance certificate and lodge the form with them at which point it will be approved immediately because it is a re registration
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:08 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes you do, just one form ...... and you probably will get the same plates you had when you left the UK as I did. I've just gone through the process.

Go to your local DVLA office and tell them what you want to do. Give them your old registration number and they will check it for you. Because the car was already registered in the UK once its a relatively simple job. They will give you the forum to complete

You'll need to get the car taxed and insured before you go back to the DVLA to re register the car and I am told it will be done immediately. The MOT can either be done on the chassis number, or the reg no (check with dvla first to make sure the number is still ok)
Thanks Mitzyboy..I have done the MOT and got insurance. Going to my local DVLA next week to ask them for the forms and get it re-registered to UK plates and taxed too.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:09 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

We are also in the process of re-importing our car back into the UK and have discovered that you do not need to change the headlights back again. You can have a MOT done on left hand drive headlights using beam deflectors. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm

The DVLA confirmed that it is ok and our car passed it's MOT today.

It is a shame that the Spanish ITV regulations are not the same then we would not have had to swop the headlights in the first place.
Yvonne
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:19 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YMF
We are also in the process of re-importing our car back into the UK and have discovered that you do not need to change the headlights back again. You can have a MOT done on left hand drive headlights using beam deflectors. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm

The DVLA confirmed that it is ok and our car passed it's MOT today.

It is a shame that the Spanish ITV regulations are not the same then we would not have had to swop the headlights in the first place.
Yvonne
I also only had the beams deflectored and not had to change the headlights completely. Thank goodness!