Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

changing car to spanish plates

changing car to spanish plates

Old Feb 20th 2012, 12:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: changing car to spanish plates

Originally Posted by John & Kath
So you have recent chapter and verse on what I have to do. What form No's I need to go armed with and where you have to go to do it. .
There is some detailed info in the WiKi here

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spain_...ng_information
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:10 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

So you have recent chapter and verse on what I have to do. What form No's I need to go armed with and where you have to go to do it.
Did you have the European Certificate of Conformity (ECC) or did you do it without. I have a current valid MOT from UK and I am not sure if you start the process by getting an ITV or does that come later or do you need one at the start on UK plates and one at the end on Spanish plates? Give us the target data and the arcs of fire and we can zero in on the target without collateral damage.
sorry but you have got to change your mental thought process.......

a UK MOT is just that, a UK MOT
when it comes to making a car Spanish you have to realise that you have to start from scratch.

use a good mechanic with a known record with the ITV to smooth your way.

A Spanish MOT will last 2 years if the car is less than 10 years old, or the period up to the 10th birthday. after that it is every year.

The matriculation carried out by the ITV engineer will be to ensure the car has the same specification as a new one would have had if it was entering the company from new.
we had 2 new tyres fitted in the UK but they make a faux pas and fitted the wrong speed rating and we had to have new ones fitted to meet the specn by the manufacturer (see the tyre pressure plate fitted to the car, on a Peugeot it is on the drivers door column, and includes the recommended tyres) They will accept a different manufacturer but the speed rating is important out here, whilst in the UK so long as it "looks ok" it gets an MOT pass (there is talk about tightening this on the UK MOT but it is still talk AFAIK).

You may want to use a gestor or similar to process your paperwork unless you are fully conversant in technical Spanish - AFAIR ours charged €80.

It is a minefield and yes it is nice to keep the car you love, especially as it probably was the biggest expenditure in your life after buying a house.
But with residual costs falling faster in the UK than Spain - where cars are actually cheaper new is it worth it ??
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: changing car to spanish plates

Originally Posted by Domino
sorry but you have got to change your mental thought process.......

a UK MOT is just that, a UK MOT
when it comes to making a car Spanish you have to realise that you have to start from scratch.

use a good mechanic with a known record with the ITV to smooth your way.

A Spanish MOT will last 2 years if the car is less than 10 years old, or the period up to the 10th birthday. after that it is every year.

The matriculation carried out by the ITV engineer will be to ensure the car has the same specification as a new one would have had if it was entering the company from new.
we had 2 new tyres fitted in the UK but they make a faux pas and fitted the wrong speed rating and we had to have new ones fitted to meet the specn by the manufacturer (see the tyre pressure plate fitted to the car, on a Peugeot it is on the drivers door column, and includes the recommended tyres) They will accept a different manufacturer but the speed rating is important out here, whilst in the UK so long as it "looks ok" it gets an MOT pass (there is talk about tightening this on the UK MOT but it is still talk AFAIK).

You may want to use a gestor or similar to process your paperwork unless you are fully conversant in technical Spanish - AFAIR ours charged €80.

It is a minefield and yes it is nice to keep the car you love, especially as it probably was the biggest expenditure in your life after buying a house.
But with residual costs falling faster in the UK than Spain - where cars are actually cheaper new is it worth it ??
Yes.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:36 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
if that is in response to the question "is it worth it"?
I totally agree, I don't want to give up my product of Browns Lane, Coventry
so I will end up paying the charges, especially as I will be making a paper profit on the car resale value of over €2,500 even for a RHD car.