Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

caught drink driving..

caught drink driving..

Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: caught drink driving..

Originally Posted by EMR
We have an aquaintance one of those " social drinkers " who could hold their drink, blah m blah blah.
One lunchtime driving back from his local he killed two people.
For one the courts took action and he got two years.
If the limits cannot be reduced to zero then the punishment for those who fail should be increased.
Min 3 year ban a loss of licence until a new test is taken.
If caught in Spain or Portugal etc on holiday or a Resident then the UK rules should apply to anyone who holds a UK licence.
Why should a new test be taken? The offense is DUI not a question of being capable of passing a driving test. Most "experienced" drivers would struggle to pass a modern driving test, DUI or not.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Most "experienced" drivers would struggle to pass a modern driving test, DUI or not.
That is something of a worry in itself.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:13 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
The zero limit has been looked at a few times I believe and so far rejected. A number of reasons have been used to reject it, many every day items and I believe some medications can contain traces of alcohol. I suppose after social but not excessive drinking would you actually be zero in the morning? At the moment it has been deemed as far as Europe is concerned unworkable. The Spanish limit is quite low but how well is it enforced? especially out of the way. In rural areas of Spain you often see groups of expats eating and drinking quite heavily toddle off jump into their cars and drive up the tracks into the campo. They may not get breathalised but amazes me how some stay on the tracks and are not crashing down the mountains. it is a personal choice to drink and drive and as such the drink driver has to accept the consequences of their own actions problem is those who have not made the choice but end up injured or dead. As bad as drink drivers are those that sit and drink with the driver often in rounds buying them drinks then jump in the car with them knowing they are unfit. Sin alcohol cervesa tastes OK if you feel like a beer with lunch not really being a lager drinker I can't tell the difference. Some years ago when visiting the States it was common practice when out in a group in a vehicle for the vehicle driver to identify thereself as the nominated driver to the barman/landlord they then got free soft drinks provided, I thought that was a good and positive action. I like a drink but do not condone anyone drinking and driving as I have on too many occasions dealt with the consequences.
Australia has a zero tolerance, seems to work in practice there quite well.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:17 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
Just to clarify. Are you saying people don't have different tolerance levels?

I'm not talking about drink-driving which I abhor and have prevented on many many occasions.
There are those who because "they " think that they have a higher tols to alcohol get behind the wheel of a car etc.
That is why the limit should be set at the lowest practical level.
The UK has one of the highest limits in Europe.

As for retesting those who have been convicted of drink driving , if it keeps some of them off the road for even longer that can only be a good thing.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
There are those who because "they " think that they have a higher tols to alcohol get behind the wheel of a car etc.
I'll try asking the question again. Do you think different people have different levels of tolerance?

I'm not talking about drink driving
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:40 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that someone who drinks every day has what you call a higher tolerance to the imediate effercts of alcohol but not to any of those that affect their long term health.
Is that anything to be proud of or to promote ??
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
As for retesting those who have been convicted of drink driving , if it keeps some of them off the road for even longer that can only be a good thing.
Do they ask what the alcohol limits are in the driving test these days? I have no idea, but if they don't ask the question then I really can't see the relevence to retaking a test because of a DUI conviction.

Might as well ask them to learn their 17 times table as well for all the good that would do.

Now taking their car off them and crushing it, then billing them for it, now that might do some good, but retaking their driving test? Pointless.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Dont think it does and cant be bothered to google it.

I believe that it is zero for either new drivers or drivers under a certain age, maybe 21 or 25 I don't know?

There is a program on TV showing police checking drivers Iv'e seen it on there, a lot got caught out in the mornings and the police knew this, nice little earner for them.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff b

I believe that it is zero for either new drivers or drivers under a certain age, maybe 21 or 25 I don't know?

There is a program on TV showing police checking drivers Iv'e seen it on there, a lot got caught out in the mornings and the police knew this, nice little earner for them.
Edited: realized you're talking about having a zero limit.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:03 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

0.02-0.05% in all states.

Want to have a guess what that's classified as? Zero tolerance. It's set as 0.05 and 0.02 for the very reasons mentioned before, that some drugs etc do give a false positive. Trust me, on this subject I know more than many sadly.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't my view that it won't work, what I said was it has been looked at a few times and those were some of the reasons given for no change. Main point is it doesn't matter if limit is zero if the policy is not enforced it won't either work or deter drink driving. Someone mentioned they had an accident last year in UK and were not breathalysed that breaches current UK policy. My view is driving don't drink alcohol and always if had a drink night before ensure sufficient time has passed for alcohol to leave the body.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how it is an earner for the police? Is it not part of their job to catch drink drivers who put others at risk? It is not like the speed camera fine where the local force gets a cut.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:13 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by bobd22
It isn't my view that it won't work, what I said was it has been looked at a few times and those were some of the reasons given for no change. Main point is it doesn't matter if limit is zero if the policy is not enforced it won't either work or deter drink driving. Someone mentioned they had an accident last year in UK and were not breathalysed that breaches current UK policy. My view is driving don't drink alcohol and always if had a drink night before ensure sufficient time has passed for alcohol to leave the body.
Sorry but I just don't agree. I know plenty of people who have a skin full and get in the car because they think they are perfectly OK to drive, they say their "tolerance" is higher than most people and that their livers work faster than most people.... All bollocks. It's your blood alcohol that is the legal issue. The liver works at one speed. If we all know that having just one drink will send us over the limit then we all know where we stand. All the while there is ambiguity there will always be drink drivers. I've done a Drivewise course, many many years ago and what the retired motorway copper told us opened my eyes.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:29 pm
EMR
Banned

On advice from friends in the Police we now adopt the 12 hour rule.
If we have drunk enough to have put us over the limit we do not get behind behind the wheel again for at least 12 hours.
There was a series recently about " young " drivers who had just passed their tests and the number found to be over the limit the morning after was an eye opener.
The prog producers took their keys from them until later tests proved they we safe to drive, hours later.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry but I just don't agree. I know plenty of people who have a skin full and get in the car because they think they are perfectly OK to drive, they say their "tolerance" is higher than most people and that their livers work faster than most people.... All bollocks. It's your blood alcohol that is the legal issue. The liver works at one speed. If we all know that having just one drink will send us over the limit then we all know where we stand. All the while there is ambiguity there will always be drink drivers. I've done a Drivewise course, many many years ago and what the retired motorway copper told us opened my eyes.
Sorry lost me I don't see what bit you are disagreeing with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.