Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

caught drink driving..

caught drink driving..

Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: caught drink driving..

Originally Posted by HBG
Alcoholism among British pensioner expats in Spain is rife, you see it everywhere. It’s a combination of boredom, absolutely silly alcohol prices (a litre of Vodka for less than a fiver, and wine that is cheaper than water), and the daily hot sun which makes you thirsty.

And it’s acceptable to go into a bar at eight in the morning and have a coffee and brandy, although that is more a Spanish habit. The expats are vulnerable and succumb to temptation, hence we have AA meetings everywhere, in all different languages too.

All teaching exactly the same thing – you can’t control it so you must stop it. It seems to work for a hell of a lot of nice people.
That sounds very much like giving these people an excuse for their own lack of self control. Surely the responsibility is 100% down to each and every individual. I cannot see how they are vulnerable and succomb to temptation as they are mature adults who should be in full control of their actions and that includes whether or not they drink to excess.

Rosemary
Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
the daily hot sun which makes you thirsty.
That sounds absolutely ridiculous on the face of it, but it's like that here. The alcohol, whether physiologically or psychologically, feels like it evaporates some of the heat.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:45 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
That sounds very much like giving these people an excuse for their own lack of self control. Surely the responsibility is 100% down to each and every individual. I cannot see how they are vulnerable and succomb to temptation as they are mature adults who should be in full control of their actions and that includes whether or not they drink to excess.

Rosemary
One would like to think you are right but there has to be some reason why alcohol abuse is more rife amongst expats in Spain than in the UK if that is the case, and I suspect that it is.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
You are talking nonsense. I don't drink everyday nor do I drink either in my flat at the pub or at my house. I don't drink in the daytime ever. I don't drink in secret.

If I decide to go downstairs in the evening it will be anytime between 6 and 8pm and then I will have a drink with my customers. 6 or 7 pints usually each time. And if I'm in the mood a couple of Grey Goose Vodkas and Soda. Last orders in the pub are 12.30 so I don't consider that particularly excessive.

Trust me, I have been breathalysed more times than you've had hot dinners. When you live (mainly) in a pub as I do and the old bill see you pulling out of the car park at all times you are an easy target.

I have never failed a breathalyser yet.
Sounds like a boast!
If you are an easy target pulling out of the pub car park, good! If it prevents someone being mown down by a drunken idiot, the more who are targeted the better.

If you don 't consider your drinking excessive, you've got a big problem.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
You seem to be implying then that an alcoholic is one who is like a friend of mine in Spain who got himself into the position where he couldn't work as he had to have beer first thing in the morning just to get himself up. Twice I had to drive him to the doctor in Estepona for 9 am. - picking up cans of lager at the petrol station on the way - to start him on rehab meds. He ended up a severely depressed alcoholic so we put him on a plane to Scotland where he would feel at home.

I suspect that many, including Alcoholics Anonymous, have a far less severe definition of what an alcoholic is - including possibly me and, it would appear, stuboy.
I don't think you meant it that way but it made for a good read
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
One would like to think you are right but there has to be some reason why alcohol abuse is more rife amongst expats in Spain than in the UK if that is the case, and I suspect that it is.
I guess that many people who moved from their home country to a new location will have issues about settling in the new country or will arrive already burdened with emotional issues.
So that for an expat or immigrant there maybe a higher rate of substance abuse or mental health issues than in the population they left behind or indeed in the population they move to.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:07 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

You may be surprised by some famous alcoholics, people unable to control their drinking.

Hi I'm a Famous Alcoholic list
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Sounds like a boast!
If you are an easy target pulling out of the pub car park, good! If it prevents someone being mown down by a drunken idiot, the more who are targeted the better.

+1
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
You may be surprised by some famous alcoholics, people unable to control their drinking.

Surprises? Lindsay Lohan, Robert Downey Jr and Mel 'Sugartits' Gibson?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 11:07 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

Not many 9 to 5ers in that list nor many surgeons. A few though who were not able to finish the set on stage. What about the likes of Churchill, someone with a drink issue and the lives of millions in his hands, that's the kind of list I'd like to see.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Not many 9 to 5ers in that list nor many surgeons. A few though who were not able to finish the set on stage. What about the likes of Churchill, someone with a drink issue and the lives of millions in his hands, that's the kind of list I'd like to see.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a boast!

It's not a boast at all. I'm just being honest. And no I don't consider my drinking to be excessive.

Lots of people have different tolerance levels towards alcohol. Some are drunk on two or three pints. I am not.

If you think I have a problem then there is probably little I can do to persuade you otherwise than to extend an invitation to both yourself and Mikelincs to visit West Sussex and share a jar or two.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:29 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
I don't think you meant it that way but it made for a good read
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:32 am
FreeThinker

Sounds like a boast!

Originally Posted by mikelincs
+1
.. although he's obviously not an alcoholic.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:59 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I have seen 'needing a drink every day'.

I am going that way myself and can see how it happens. I don't drink and drive though.
That's what my doctor told me that the guidelines are when I asked her once... For a friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.