car hire

Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future
Default car hire

Hi to all

Can anyone tell me if Record car hire insurance (basic) is third party or fully comprehensive?, this would make a difference to my excess cover.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of
Default Re: car hire

Comprehensinsive. If you don't take out their extra insurance which waives the excess, you have to let them "block" €1100 from your credit card.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience of Record (some years ago now) when you say you have your own excess insurance they give you the hard sell on their all in cover. When I declined this the salesperson suddenly lost the ability to speak a word of English became quite abrupt and indicated by pointing where I had to sign. I was then given the key to the most battered car I ever hired. Hence why it's some years ago!
Old Nov 20th 2017, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future

Thanks, is the cover third party or fully comp?
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil8999
Thanks, is the cover third party or fully comp?
In my opinion it is not what in the uk you would describe as comprehensive. Reason I say that is if you take the basic insurance then yes you get collision damage waver certain other things are covered but with limitations for instance criminal damage is not included but damage due to a theft from vehicle is. All claims require a police report. The basic insurance does not cover underside of vehicle, wheels tyres glass roof etc. To get what I call true comprehensive insurance you must pay out for the extra no excess policy provided by record.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bobd22
In my experience of Record (some years ago now) when you say you have your own excess insurance they give you the hard sell on their all in cover. When I declined this the salesperson suddenly lost the ability to speak a word of English became quite abrupt and indicated by pointing where I had to sign. I was then given the key to the most battered car I ever hired. Hence why it's some years ago!
They've improved since then, thank Gawd. At least thats what i've heard and i hope so 'cos i booked them for next week.

Last edited by frigilianafreddy; Nov 20th 2017 at 11:47 am.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
They've improved since then, thank Gawd. At least thats what i've heard and i hope so 'cos i booked them for next week.
Good luck and I hope you are right. I had booked with them before with no real issues but that experience did it for me and I have avoided them ever since.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Most car hire companies are at it. I buy annual insurance which is less than the cost car hire companies charge for a week. I have had so many bad experiences with car hire companies in Spain. Not so bad in Italy though. So now i either pay the extra to Helle Hollis, who are honest or I book from UK and talk it through with UK speaking company
Old Nov 20th 2017, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

The problem is that my excess insurance cover policy, states that the car hire insurance must be filly comprehensive, so if we have to pay there higher rate then no point in taking out the excess cover.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have a look at this one which covers all the things that I mentioned that the basic policy doesn't cover.

https://www.carhireexcess.co.uk
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:30 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Sales of comprehensive insurance appears to be a key goal of virtually all of the "cheap" car hires. They have competitive (published) prices, and make up the difference in obligatory "add-ons".

This isn't a "Spanish" thing, I've had the same experience in the UK. You book the car online, add comprehensive insurance, but when you get to the rental desk, they tell you that the insurance you booked on their website is not recognised, and you have to buy it from them (now) or have some astronomical figure booked off your credit card as a "deposit".

It's a common scam. It's better to just decline the insurance when you book it online, and pay when you get to the desk. This way, you're covered. Otherwise, you pay twice!
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil8999
The problem is that my excess insurance cover policy, states that the car hire insurance must be filly comprehensive, so if we have to pay there higher rate then no point in taking out the excess cover.
You are covered. Don't worry. If you are still in doubt phone up your insurance company and ask them about Record. I know the answer will be yes.