Reload this Page >

Buying A Leasehold Bar In Spain

Buying A Leasehold Bar In Spain

Old Feb 26th 2005, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Susangirvan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying A Leasehold Bar In Spain

undefined

We are currently looking into buying a leasehold bar in Spain, sometime next year. Could anyone give us advise on where to start. We need to know what is involved on the legal side and who we can speak to. Has anyone gone through this process sucessfully, if so could you help.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

dougie V is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying A Leasehold Bar In Spain

i have been looking into doing this myself, according to my girlfriend who is spanish, the cheapest way to do this is to get a locale (empty shell) and then transform this into a bar as leasing an already established bar can be very expensive. Depending on the extent of the decoration, the cost should not be too excessive with a good spanish builder. As far as furniture (tables, chairs etc..) i have been told can be supplied by the suppliers as well as items like the coffee machine but this i am still looking into (It maybe difficult to arrange this at first as you will need to build a relationship up with the suppliers). If possible try to buy the locale instead of leasing, at least you own the locale and if at a later date you chose to move on or the bar thing was not for you, you can either lease out your bar, or sell it.
If i do decide to go down this route i will let you know anymore information i find.
just a word of caution, some friends of mine did lease a bar, and the owner (british) told them everything that they wanted to hear (best bar in the area, popular with the spanish, popular with the tourists, bla bla bla), and nievly believed everything they were told, and didn't see any proof etc... i am not saying don't trust anyone, just get them to backup things that they tell you
Old Feb 26th 2005, 5:14 pm
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Buying A Leasehold Bar In Spain

Originally Posted by dougie V
As far as furniture (tables, chairs etc..) i have been told can be supplied by the suppliers as well as items like the coffee machine but this i am still looking into (It maybe difficult to arrange this at first as you will need to build a relationship up with the suppliers).
This is quite true Dougie, and I am sure a locale is the way to go if you can find one.

I have a friend who has just taken over a freehold bar in San Pedro, and it's amazing what you can get, crockery, tables, fridges, coffee machines, fridges, even down to beer mats and serviettes.

However is is hard establishing yourself, especially in February. Don't forget the Spanish customers will give you 12 months custom, but you'll need the language.

The very best of luck to you and Susan, let us know where you are thinking of and I'm sure we'll all have a good look and offer support.

Jock
Old Feb 27th 2005, 8:20 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Think carefully, there are nearly as many bars for sale as there are houses, they change hands quite regular. Mostly the only people to make money out of bars are the agents who lease them.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Susangirvan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dougie V
i have been looking into doing this myself, according to my girlfriend who is spanish, the cheapest way to do this is to get a locale (empty shell) and then transform this into a bar as leasing an already established bar can be very expensive. Depending on the extent of the decoration, the cost should not be too excessive with a good spanish builder. As far as furniture (tables, chairs etc..) i have been told can be supplied by the suppliers as well as items like the coffee machine but this i am still looking into (It maybe difficult to arrange this at first as you will need to build a relationship up with the suppliers). If possible try to buy the locale instead of leasing, at least you own the locale and if at a later date you chose to move on or the bar thing was not for you, you can either lease out your bar, or sell it.
If i do decide to go down this route i will let you know anymore information i find.
just a word of caution, some friends of mine did lease a bar, and the owner (british) told them everything that they wanted to hear (best bar in the area, popular with the spanish, popular with the tourists, bla bla bla), and nievly believed everything they were told, and didn't see any proof etc... i am not saying don't trust anyone, just get them to backup things that they tell you

THANKYOU FOR YOUR INFORMATION, WHICH I WILL BEAR IN MIND. I ALSO BELIEVE THAT YOU SHOULDNT TRUST ANYONE, I WOULD NEED TO SEE PROOF, IN WRITING. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.