Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

London to Torrevieja by road

London to Torrevieja by road

Old Aug 31st 2018, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

ValTay0607 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile London to Torrevieja by road

I am wanting to do a road trip from London to Torrevieja (first time) towards the end of September or early October. I am sure someone who has done this trip during Sept/Oct would be able to advise on weather, best route, time, hotels, safety, cost and any other advice. Wife and I are 70. Look forward. Thanks. Val
Old Aug 31st 2018, 11:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London to Torrevieja by road

I have moved your thread over to our Spain forum as the Welcome Inn is purely introductions.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Val
Personally when going on new routes I use the directions option on https://www.bing.com/maps which gives me a good idea of times and distances .
Then on studying the recommendations I plan my itinerary around them
Hotels I use https://www.booking.com often on my phone whilst traveling leaving accommodation until late in the day when progress is confirmed.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Aug 31st 2018 at 3:55 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 1:11 pm
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

Friend send me this last year
here is a route Leave Calais on the A16 / E402 motorway following signs for Boulogne, Amiens. The toll section starts just before Boulogne.
Just before Abbeville, take the free A28 / E402 motorway to Rouen.
Entering Rouen the A28 becomes the N28. Follow on down through the tunnel, then cross the Seine on the newly reopened Pont Mathilde.
After that, follow signs for Paris and Evreux then Evreux & Orleans . You will join the A13 motorway west of Rouen.
About 10 km south or Rouen, leave the A13 motorway for the A154 motorway. Toll gate at the intersection.
Then follow the A154 > N154 dual carriageway almost to Dreux. At Dreux, follow signs for Chartres and Orleans.
After Dreux, the N154 is almost all modern dual-carriageway as far as Chartres.
From Chartres follow the N 10 to Chateaudun, Vendôme and Tours. This is mostly single carriageway for 130 km, but there are sections of dual carriageway, notably round Vendôme. Before reaching Tours, the N10 becomes the D 910.
On approaching Tours, follow signs for the A10 motorway, and join it at junction 19. Skirt round Tours on the toll motorway, then exit at junction 23, following the sign for D910 to Montbazon
Follow the D 910 all the way to Poitiers, skirting round the city.
After Poitiers, the D910 once more turns into the N 10 , which you now follow as far as Angouleme. It is dual carriageway virtually all the way.
Approaching Angouleme set the satnav for:
Bergerac then Pauthen Jaca (this will ensure you go through the Somport tunnel)
Zaragoza-Valencia then A7 into hills to alicante
Old Sep 1st 2018, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ValTay0607
I am wanting to do a road trip from London to Torrevieja (first time) towards the end of September or early October. I am sure someone who has done this trip during Sept/Oct would be able to advise on weather, best route, time, hotels, safety, cost and any other advice. Wife and I are 70. Look forward. Thanks. Val
There are lots of different ways down of course, depending if you have time yo stop at interesting places on the way. Firstly it depends which port you leave England from & where you disembark at, which might further depend on where you live in UK. The Western side of France has fewer tolls and good straight roads. Looking at Spain, Zaragoza is fine, but leads you towards Valencia and a fair drive down the coast roads. Albacete might be better but leads you round Madrid, not everybody's cup of tea.
Considering you're coming late Sept/October, I wouldn't bother booking anywhere as that time of year hotels are never full.
So, give us an idea of your preferences and we can help you further.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

We have travelled by road to Spain many times from Milton Keynes to the Atlantic coast. We always used to drive all the way using the Chunnel in our mid 60s but we looked at the cost (about the same) and wear and tear on us and lately in our mid 70s we have used the ferries from Portsmouth to Santander/Bilbao. My wife is not a good sailor however she has only once taken to her bed and missed dinner. From London to Torrevieja you would probably best use the Portsmouth-Bilbao route then down through Madrid or Zamora. You can play with routes on the Michelin maps online and that will give you distances and costs. We now only allow 4-5 hrs driving each day and coming through France that means 4 overnight stops but with the ferry we overnight on the boat and once about half way down Spain.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

2nd recommendation for the Portsmouth to Bilbao/Santander ferry route. Once you factor in the extra overnight stops, fuel and tolls there's not that much difference in price and the journey is a lot less stressful.
Take a look at..... https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Ro...on=6.8:5.6:5.6
......Three routes from Bilbao to Torriveja. With a bit of planning, you can time your ferry to avoid any overnight stops (apart from 2 nights onboard).

Good luck & enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I have done it few times now all be it not to Torrevieja but to costa del sol. I have done it both by car and motorbike, Santander Bilbao and through France. Not much between Bilbao and Santander Santander is plusher ferry with selection of bars restaurants and with entertainment, Bilbao is more basic but I think has better cabins and ightly longer crossing. Personally I would rather factor in one overnight stop in Spain that way you can enjoy the trip more plus get a decent rest, rooms don't need to cost a fortune . When I came through France that was by motorbike ferry from Poole to Cherbourg (very short crossing and cheap) I then took 4 days and stops riding down avoiding all tolls. I really enjoyed my trip taking in the faboulos scenery and staying over on some wonderful places that cost very little, one place just outside Madrid cost 19 Euros lovely single en suite room in a lovely simple working village with a great banquet breakfast. It really comes down to what you want , short crossing (weather might not be best at that time of year Bay of Biscay!), Speed of getting to destination ,cost or making the most of what you have to spend and enjoy the trip and countryside.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

If you wish to take your time and at the same time enjoy Spain, then I'd suggest the following; am assuming you're landing in Santander. If you're in a hurry, then ignore the rest!
Take A67 (A= autovia, or dual carriageway, AP= motorway & a toll) to Valladolid, stopping at Aguilar de Campoo for a coffee; it has a lovely square (plaza). You'll also pass Fromista where there's an 11th century Romanesque church. Then the N601, very straight and take a slight turn off to see Coca castle, quite unique, made of tiny bricks. This is real Castile!
You might wish to spend the night either in Segovia, with its Roman aqueduct or Avila with its walls. If you want real luxury at a reasonable price try their Paradors.
You then can either head for Toledo having skirted round Madrid, where you should look for Toledo or Aranjuez signs. I find Spanish road signs really unhelpful most of the time.
If your car has a CD player try listening to Rodriguez's 'Concierto de Aranjuez' to set you in the mood. Then head east south east towards Albacete and then head south towards Hellin and the coast.
Enjoy your trip, whatever you do.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

ValTay0607 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the helpful information, appreciated. Still deciding on dates. Take care. All the best. Val