Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bringing car to Mallorca from UK - student!

Bringing car to Mallorca from UK - student!

Old Oct 6th 2017, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

elundberg is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bringing car to Mallorca from UK - student!

Hello!

I am living in Santa Ponsa and finding it hard getting about using public transport, so I am thinking of bringing my car over from the UK.

I am a university student, but I am in Mallorca on my year abroad. I am working as a language assistant in a school and I will be paid 700 euros monthly by the British Council. I have an NIE and empadronamiento certificate.

Does anybody have any advice for me re the rules about having your car on Spanish roads? (Tax, insurance, driving licence, costs etc). I will only be living here until early June, and will bring my car over in November. I can't find an up-to-date answer on Google, so thought I would try here.

Thanks!
Old Oct 6th 2017, 3:31 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing car to Mallorca from UK - student!

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 20th 2017, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

lormar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elundberg
Hello!

I am living in Santa Ponsa and finding it hard getting about using public transport, so I am thinking of bringing my car over from the UK.

I am a university student, but I am in Mallorca on my year abroad. I am working as a language assistant in a school and I will be paid 700 euros monthly by the British Council. I have an NIE and empadronamiento certificate.

Does anybody have any advice for me re the rules about having your car on Spanish roads? (Tax, insurance, driving licence, costs etc). I will only be living here until early June, and will bring my car over in November. I can't find an up-to-date answer on Google, so thought I would try here.

Thanks!
Hi Elundberg,

There's lots of information about bringing your car over, but as far as I remember, it'll only be allowed for 1-3 months at a time, or else it will need to be registered on Spanish plates - if you want your insurance to be valid, that is. Having a British car here might seem cheaper, but if you have to transfer it to Spanish plates, then it'll be over € 1000 to get it registered here, and will cost you probably the same to put it back on UK plates afterwards, so not really worth it for a temporary stay, I'd say.

Not only that, but the journey to get it here alone with ferries, fuel, tolls, overnight stops and food/drink expenses could be close on that figure again. Balearic ferries aren't exactly cheap.

Considering the time you're here is off-season, it might be worth looking into hiring a car on a monthly basis instead for those months. You'd be surprised at the deals available, especially by those NOT based in the airport, but instead in places like Son Oms, SP or Magaluf even...! Just call into their offices and negotiate yourself a good deal.

Just look around first to get yourself some 'Excess hire car insurance', as then you won't be screwed by the hire company for their insurance instead.

All the best anyway, hope this helps!
Old Oct 20th 2017, 5:37 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It is normally six months before you are obliged to register your car.

However, there is an exemption for students, however that would not seem to apply in your case as you are working.

This is the EU guidance

If you are staying in another country and your only reason for staying there is to study, you can drive your car without having to register it or pay taxes there - as long as you are enrolled in an educational establishment in that country. But if as a student you start working during your residence there, you must register your car in this country.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

Last edited by Fred James; Oct 20th 2017 at 5:41 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

It wont be cheap to get your car there or to stay legal, buy/rent as and when you need a car or how about a moped/
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:46 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just *buy* a used car? You could probably buy an old golf or fiesta for under €1000.