Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"Bizarre foods" - Spain

"Bizarre foods" - Spain

Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Bizarre foods" - Spain

Originally Posted by St. John
Beef cheeks? That's new for me (never stop learning) what is the Spanish name for that on a menu?
I discoverd these in Barcelona, called galtas. Though in Spanish-speaking Spain are called Carrilleras. Delicious!

You can also get a Pork version
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:27 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I discoverd these in Barcelona, called galtas. Though in Spanish-speaking Spain are called Carrilleras. Delicious!

Hope they're not called porquerias ?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:57 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Hope they're not called porquerias ?
Porker ears?????

Gallegos eat loads of them in stews.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Nothing wrong with snails, although we find the spanish tend to serve them way too small, the french ones are larger in size. Our local bar serves them as both tapas and also they come in paella that is made with rabbit instead of fish.

What I have never tried and never will are the tiny birds. About an inch or so long complete with legs and heads, they seem to be served in a gravy of olive oil and whatever. Apparently you pop the whole thing in your mouth and crunch away on the bones and everything...yeuchh!
In Spain there are also big snails, because there are several species, but those that usually eat up are the small ones. Before cooking them, It is necessary to feed them with flour during some days, for they expelled all that they had eaten in the countryside. The snails were clean

I a long time ago I don't eat, and I don't have pretenses

The small birds to those that you refer, are a gastronomy modality that consists in drowning in a brandy or cognac to the small birds (the Ortolan), for then to cook them and to eat them

Last edited by Relampago; Sep 1st 2010 at 1:34 am.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Never could get to like Morcillas (not because of the blood thing nor any kind of blue cheese (except as a sauce like Steak Roquefort), just the taste) but have come to love squid, octopus, beef cheeks, oxtail, eel, snails etc.
In Spain there are many classes of morcillas, as the morcilla of Burgos that has rice. Not only it is blood, are also seasoned (spices, onion, etc). The morcilla and all the one derived of the pig, I believe that it is of the time in that didn't exist the refrigerating machines, and had to be foods that should last a lot of time, mainly in winter, when it was more difficult to get food

I like cheeses, among them the blue cheese, as the Cabrales. Sometimes, I accompany with tint wine

Last edited by Relampago; Sep 1st 2010 at 1:50 am.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
The programme is made by an American company - and they have the same programme for bizarre British foods eg haggis, tripe etc. I agree the term "bizarre" is perhaps misleading, but it helps to sell the programme I suppose.
Any food European " bizarre " will always be better than any American " excellence "

Of this there is not any doubt
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:22 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
In Spain there are many classes of morcillas, as the morcilla of Burgos that has rice. Not only it is blood, are also seasoned (spices, onion, etc). The morcilla and all the one derived of the pig, I believe that it is of the time in that didn't exist the refrigerating machines, and had to be foods that should last a lot of time, mainly in winter, when it was more difficult to get food

I like cheeses, among them the blue cheese, as the Cabrales. Sometimes, I accompany with tint wine
I have had so many kinds of morcillas- with rice, with out...with garlic, without...from this village, from that one. The just don't work for me. Every Spaniard (including Mrs. IP) has told me I am crazy because ''estan tan buenas!''...kinda like Collard Greens in the southern US- everyone assumes that you will like theirs, because of their secret recipe.

Spanish cheese is a totally different subject...I love them all, the stronger the better (OK, except for Cabrales or other blue cheeses).

I suppose Callos was another thing that never did much for me...pigs feet either (manitas de ministro?)- in Spain or in the US. I do remember a drunken night in a Morrocan resturant picking meat off of a roasted goat head and loving it.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:04 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
I have had so many kinds of morcillas- with rice, with out...with garlic, without...from this village, from that one. The just don't work for me. Every Spaniard (including Mrs. IP) has told me I am crazy because ''estan tan buenas!''...kinda like Collard Greens in the southern US- everyone assumes that you will like theirs, because of their secret recipe.

Spanish cheese is a totally different subject...I love them all, the stronger the better (OK, except for Cabrales or other blue cheeses).

I suppose Callos was another thing that never did much for me...pigs feet either (manitas de ministro?)- in Spain or in the US. I do remember a drunken night in a Morrocan resturant picking meat off of a roasted goat head and loving it.
Would be a sad world if we all liked exactly the same things. I personally love morcilla, but on the other hand I'm not a great fan of paella. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy it and I'll eat it once in a while, and when I'm in Valencia I normally force myself to a sample or two, but it just isn't top of my hit parade. For some people I know it's the best thing Spain produces. My top favourite? Maybe it's because I rarely get a chance to sample it (I've never seen it here in the UK) - Mojama.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fembat
I love Morcilla. Callos I like too here, our local tapas serves a lovely Galician dish with Callos. Pulpo is OK, only had it once and it was passable.

But I have to draw the line somewhere and that is caracoles... Plus that cheese from Asturias - the one that spends three years being matured in the mayors socks.

I love all of those things especially morcilla which I prefer to Scottish black pudding. Snails in garlic ,parsley butter, yuimmy. Cooked Spanish style in a picante sauce ok but not a favourite. What I cannot eat is the Valencian delicacy of salted sardines with fried eggs on top,yuk yuk yuk!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

fembat will become famous soon enoughfembat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by St. John
Beef cheeks? That's new for me (never stop learning) what is the Spanish name for that on a menu?
If I not mistaken its "morros de vaca" - sure someone will correct me if I am wrong
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman

English delicacy ' Bath Chaps', My father used to buy a pig's head just to get the cheeks and my mother made potted heid with the rest.