Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"Bizarre foods" - Spain

"Bizarre foods" - Spain

Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:00 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Bizarre foods" - Spain

Mmmmmmmmm....

Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:04 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Bizarre foods" - Spain

I love a lot of food that Brits find hard (initially) like Morcilla, Pulpo and even Callos. But I have to admit I've never dared try caracoles nor the eels..
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

fembat will become famous soon enoughfembat will become famous soon enough

I love Morcilla. Callos I like too here, our local tapas serves a lovely Galician dish with Callos. Pulpo is OK, only had it once and it was passable.

But I have to draw the line somewhere and that is caracoles... Plus that cheese from Asturias - the one that spends three years being matured in the mayors socks.

Last edited by fembat; Aug 29th 2010 at 9:54 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:58 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Queso cabrales from Asturias is one of my favourites, it is really stong though but sometimes (not sure if it is due to age or poor quality) it has a horrible feel in your mouth,very oilyish and sticky, not very nice.
But when its good it is one of the best.

There was a kids programme on the TV (british) yesterday showin kids eating "different" food.
Their favourite food was cheese burgers,(which was no surprise) so the presenter to them they were going to try "other meats".

They fried gizzards, kidneys, ducks tongue and lambs testicles.

The kids tried them one by one and 2 liked the testicles best, and one like the ducks tongue.

They said they would eat them again,

The presenter said that these foods were available in butchers shops in the UK, I have never heard of that before, but I suppose in some areas they will be available.

So the future is testicles on toast, and duck tongue stew.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:45 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

One hundred and fifty dollars US for baby eels? Methinks one is paying for the name not the dish. I had some the other day for two Euros.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with snails, although we find the spanish tend to serve them way too small, the french ones are larger in size. Our local bar serves them as both tapas and also they come in paella that is made with rabbit instead of fish.

What I have never tried and never will are the tiny birds. About an inch or so long complete with legs and heads, they seem to be served in a gravy of olive oil and whatever. Apparently you pop the whole thing in your mouth and crunch away on the bones and everything...yeuchh!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

What is bizarre about fresh food that is freshly cooked?

In my opinion its most processed foods that are bizarre. Why do people eat the stuff when it is as easy to prepare fresh?

I know people that eat canned curry. Aargh!!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:37 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by johnnyone
What is bizarre about fresh food that is freshly cooked?

In my opinion its most processed foods that are bizarre. Why do people eat the stuff when it is as easy to prepare fresh?

I know people that eat canned curry. Aargh!!
The programme is made by an American company - and they have the same programme for bizarre British foods eg haggis, tripe etc. I agree the term "bizarre" is perhaps misleading, but it helps to sell the programme I suppose.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St. John
One hundred and fifty dollars US for baby eels? Methinks one is paying for the name not the dish. I had some the other day for two Euros.
You can't get real angulas for 2 euros. You must have eaten the fake ones that they sell in packets at the supermarket. They are made from reconstituted fish, like crab sticks and shaped to look like angulas.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St. John
They certainly are expensive! I watched this a few weeks back, here you can also pay €200 for a kilo of peas!
http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos/...0/802305.shtml
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cricketman
You can't get real angulas for 2 euros. You must have eaten the fake ones that they sell in packets at the supermarket. They are made from reconstituted fish, like crab sticks and shaped to look like angulas.
You are of course probably very right - even tho' they were described as a special offer for some fiesta or other. I thought that the fakes had to be described as 'gulas'. Beggars the question "Is there a Trades Descriptions Act" in Spain? If so, is it enforceable? There are laws covering many things none of which are ever enforced.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I've had 'poor mans eels' in a bar/restaurant and was told it was fine pasta strings flavoured as eel,

I've also had adult eel in a sauce at the marina in Oliva. Delicious, cost 12 Euros for about 6 pieces.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

shellou will become famous soon enough

Anguilas ali pebre tastes wonderful!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:51 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Never could get to like Morcillas (not because of the blood thing nor any kind of blue cheese (except as a sauce like Steak Roquefort), just the taste) but have come to love squid, octopus, beef cheeks, oxtail, eel, snails etc.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ironporer
Never could get to like Morcillas (not because of the blood thing nor any kind of blue cheese (except as a sauce like Steak Roquefort), just the taste) but have come to love squid, octopus, beef cheeks, oxtail, eel, snails etc.
Beef cheeks? That's new for me (never stop learning) what is the Spanish name for that on a menu?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.