Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

best way to rent out flat in Spain

best way to rent out flat in Spain

Old Sep 13th 2012, 8:30 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best way to rent out flat in Spain

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain
I have not said taxes should not be paid but if you live in Spain you should know the attitude here compared to the UK. How dare you tell me to decide what I should be, there are a lot of pompous know it all Brits here who have nothing to do with Spanish life and just came here for the sunshine, there is lot I don't like about both countries and often wish I came from one or the other as mixed parentage is not always a good thing. However, I don't expect to be insulted! I have been asking for genuine advice and I am curious as to others experiences, there are lot of arrogant and spiteful people on here.
you are not being "insulted" by anyone except yourself.
you are on an open expat forum asking for advice on what to do on legal matters, expecting fully guaranteed, worked out responses that will hold up in court - for free, and all you can do is complain if the responses are not what you expect.

so your Spanish relatives are elderly - some say I am but I don't use it to hide behind.
Your elderly Spanish relatives probably know more about Spanish taxation and housing law than all those here put together.
All we here can do is give you guidelines not line chapter and verse.

Please, go out and pay a lawyer, an accountant for a bit of advice that is truly relevent to your situation, where you have told him/her everything and not little bits and pieces.

Just remember "attitude" is something that relates to the person not the state, so that person's "attitude" to paying or not paying taxes is personal to them.
I have always paid my taxes which is probably one reason why I am not a multi-millionaire.

Enjoy
Old Sep 13th 2012, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

PS Cricketman, I worked for a Catalan family here for 2 years, they ran an apartment rental business and I worked with greedy Catalan property owners, all of them wanted cash payments and one women who owned a million euro apartment used to move around Spain to avoid being caught, she used to complain if I gave a 5% discount to tourists to rent her flat when it was empty. I met many many like her. My opinions are formulated by reality not myth.

This employer gave me a so called permanent contract but gave me some of it in cash to avoid paying too much social security, I was powerless. When I told them I knew the law they got rid of me and then threatened me outside my flat with the police because I had accidentally taken their office keys. This was a totally Catalan family doing so called legal business, I have many more stories like this. When I talk about the lawlessness here it is by direct and proven experience.
Last time you told us it was a British family running a rental business illegally. Did you make this up, or is this a different busness?

If so, what does that tell you about the ways British people do business?
Old Sep 13th 2012, 8:50 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I have sympathy for the OP, I can understand her situation, but also understand that taxes must be paid in order to keep the counrty going.

I know lots of people who work without contracts, they have no choice, they need the money, and not all of them are working for sole traders who are struggling, and not all are on the costas.

I know a lot of my and OHs family who live in Galicia, Asturias and Segovia who have worked on and off contract for years.

My OH and I are both full Spanish descent (although I am UK born) and lots of relatives have had to leave Spain in the past, and some are thinking of doing so in the present.

They are often working with a "few hours only" contract, but are doing full time.
This saves the employer money on the SS but it does no good for the employees work record and pension rights.

They are getting by on their wage, but thinking of the future is bleak, they need to be "cotizando" towards the future, and so are hoping to re-locate abroad and have a contract that has some bearing on the hours they actually work.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

pain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman
Last time you told us it was a British family running a rental business illegally. Did you make this up, or is this a different busness?

If so, what does that tell you about the ways British people do business?
I have worked for several employers here as you know. I have worked for English, French, Spanish, Catalan, French, Japanese, few of them were above board even when I had a legal contract so you see the law here doesn't work and it's not because there are too many laws as you say, it's because they contradict each other and are not implemented, this country is full of this. I have not made anything up, there's an awful lot I have left out as it's too much to discuss. Everything I say is the truth.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:22 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to the opening question, and specifically as regards Barcelona...

We're told that the English teaching sector is holding up very well in the recession. It's also the case that many Tefl training courses are advertised as taking place in Barcelona...

So, do a little research. Go to those establishments (and also to the Spanish language schools). Find out if there is a market to let your flat out on a monthly basis, to trainee teachers and/or language students. This may well be an effective way to let out your flat but avoid long term tenants who refuse to vacate. Or you could seek teachers (try and snag them either in Autumn, or in Jan/Feb) who need an economical place to live for the school year - this frees up your flat for the July/August period.

I know the Madrid market, and it's very difficult in Autumn to get digs - consequently it's easy for landlords who know the English-speaking market to get tenants then.

Isn't there an English language publication called Metropolitan you can also advertise in?
link to mag here
http://www.barcelona-metropolitan.com/
their classifieds page
http://www.catalunya-classified.com/
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:25 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Spain isnt a lawless country, it actually has too many laws, which complicates things

I have a relative who rents out a flat up here in the North and because of the tax laws she loses money every year even though the flat is fully occupied. However, she has no choice because she can't sell it, and cant live in it because her job is in a different city

How stupid is that. If, by renting, she is losing money, then don't rent it.

No one is forcing her to rent! So she can't sell it and by renting she loses money - leave it empty and save money!

Duh!!!!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

pain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
In regards to the opening question, and specifically as regards Barcelona...

We're told that the English teaching sector is holding up very well in the recession. It's also the case that many Tefl training courses are advertised as taking place in Barcelona...

So, do a little research. Go to those establishments (and also to the Spanish language schools). Find out if there is a market to let your flat out on a monthly basis, to trainee teachers and/or language students. This may well be an effective way to let out your flat but avoid long term tenants who refuse to vacate. Or you could seek teachers (try and snag them either in Autumn, or in Jan/Feb) who need an economical place to live for the school year - this frees up your flat for the July/August period.

I know the Madrid market, and it's very difficult in Autumn to get digs - consequently it's easy for landlords who know the English-speaking market to get tenants then.

Isn't there an English language publication called Metropolitan you can also advertise in?
link to mag here
http://www.barcelona-metropolitan.com/
their classifieds page
http://www.catalunya-classified.com/
Thanks for this but I have already done all this, but I appreciate your advice which for once on here seems genuine and helpful. Believe it or not, I use this as a last resort when i have tried all avenues but realise it is too painful and will be sure never to ask for advice on here again due to the nasty comments and bitterness I receive.

I had a visitor who saw my ad in Metropolitan last week and was interested but this is why I am asking about the tax thing as I hadn't realised I would pay 25% on the rent and have included community and rates in this so will be effectively taxed on these payments which is wrong. This is what I have been trying to ask but it's been lost in translation!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
How stupid is that. If, by renting, she is losing money, then don't rent it.

No one is forcing her to rent! So she can't sell it and by renting she loses money - leave it empty and save money!

Duh!!!!
By losing money, I meant that it doesnt even cover the interest payments in the mortgage

So, net she is losing money, but obviously she'd lose a lot more if she didnt receive any rental income
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:47 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered when you would surface. Don't be so patronising, I am one of the few here who actually has Spanish blood, not just a born again lording it here. I don't hate Spain, I don't like aspects of it as don't for the UK, I see both with their problems. I have dropped my flat to a much much lower price so you know nothing about what I am doing, I am very aware of the inflated prices and am doing all I can to leave.

In fact it's the Catalans and Spanish who are by far the greediest and the foreigners selling are the ones being more realistic. If I drop my flat to what I paid I would lose as it does not take into account 10 years of doing it up (we did it ourselves) and inflation. I will be lucky to come out with 80k sterling which is very little for our age and all the hard work we have put in, I don't any more on here telling me how lucky I am, it's beginning to sound like a Monty Python sketch!
You can get 80 k for your flat take it while your still alive..My house was £120k and i sold it for £50k because UK house prices are falling..
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
You can get 80 k for your flat take it while your still alive..My house was £120k and i sold it for £50k because UK house prices are falling..
This is tragic and I am sympathetic as it is hard to deal with this, I am realistic and am now thinking of pulling out all stops to sell now as the rental income would not be enough for me to live in London again. It's funny how we are meant to think we are lucky to lose money on property but it's surely human nature to compare ourselves to people higher up the food chain rather than bottom of the sewer.

I didn't buy my flat here to make money, stupidly and naively I assumed it was my home for good and for a few years loved being here, there are still moments I feel this way. But after my negative experiences and having a partner (male) who is utterly miserable here, we need to move back but we are are 50 somethings and life is getting harder by the day. I am not asking for any sympathy at all, it is interesting to know how other people cope with similar situations which is what is useful about these kind of forums. But it seems that human nature is quite ugly when you dig deep.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:05 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

This is tragic and I am sympathetic as it is hard to deal with this, I am realistic and am now thinking of pulling out all stops to sell now as the rental income would not be enough for me to live in London again. It's funny how we are meant to think we are lucky to lose money on property but it's surely human nature to compare ourselves to people higher up the food chain rather than bottom of the sewer.

I didn't buy my flat here to make money, stupidly and naively I assumed it was my home for good and for a few years loved being here, there are still moments I feel this way. But after my negative experiences and having a partner (male) who is utterly miserable here, we need to move back but we are are 50 somethings and life is getting harder by the day. I am not asking for any sympathy at all, it is interesting to know how other people cope with similar situations which is what is useful about these kind of forums. But it seems that human nature is quite ugly when you dig deep.
If you are moving back to London, I fear you will find the high rents a shock. Especially in once cheap places like Poplar, Bethnal Green or Shoreditch - the Docklands and other developments are pricing out the locals. Don't assume jobs are easier to come by - well plenty of minimum wage cleaning and bar jobs around, but your age will count against you. May be best buying a cheap house up north, and then at least you can qualify for earnings related unemployment benefits (as then you won't have savings - if you keep the money you won't get anything ) Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:07 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Then why are you moving to LONDON one of the highest places to rent and no work.. Unless the streets are paved with gold.. sorry just remembered Free housing free social security and Dole money.. watch Jeremy Kyle everything is free ..you dont get out of bed before 4pm..
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
If you are moving back to London, I fear you will find the high rents a shock. Especially in once cheap places like Poplar, Bethnal Green or Shoreditch - the Docklands and other developments are pricing out the locals. Don't assume jobs are easier to come by - well plenty of minimum wage cleaning and bar jobs around, but your age will count against you. May be best buying a cheap house up north, and then at least you can qualify for earnings related unemployment benefits (as then you won't have savings - if you keep the money you won't get anything ) Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Exactly

You'll find it just as tough in London. Rents are twice as much as in Barcelona (at least) - and council tax and transport costs a lot more

You'd be better off going up North, buying a cheap terrace house and look for a minimum wage job (or go on benefits) like the people say
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:37 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly

You'll find it just as tough in London. Rents are twice as much as in Barcelona (at least) - and council tax and transport costs a lot more
You'd be better off going up North, buying a cheap terrace house and look for a minimum wage job (or go on benefits) like the people say
out on the edge of East Anglia we paid almost £1000 per annum council tax. Mind you, our bins were emptied once a fortnight, the roads were slightly better than in Spain - although when closed for roadworks they take even longer, we had a bridge worked on for 6m 18m ago, its now closed for another 6m for more repairs, sometimes a bit like the A7 saga.

here on bus I get a 20km journey for €1.75, anwhere in the big city for €0.80.
in the UK I was paying £2.10 for a 1.5-2mile trip into town on the bus - until I got a pass. Parking is £1.00 for 20mins.

Despite having the street drains cleaned once a year the roads still flood due to too much of the wrong type of water in the wrong places.

now can't remember why we called it RipOffBritain.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

If you use an agency then they are more likely to declare it for tax purposes, and then you would have problems, without one you are more likely to have problems with tenants skipping, leaving without paying, damaging the property. If you do take out insurance, and don't declare for tax purposes, then the insurance could vey simply refuse any claim. In any case if you came to the UK you would have to declare the rental income as you would be liable for tax on it.
The absolute beat way to go is totally legal then you don't have any worries about bbeing chased for back taxes etc in either country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.