Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best Insurance companies for car Insurance

Best Insurance companies for car Insurance

Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Psykalist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Insurance companies for car Insurance

Does anyone have a link to an English language site that compare Spanish car insurance companies or alternatively have a good recommendation of a cheap and easy to work with insurance company?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Insurance companies for car Insurance

I've just contacted these guys who apparently will come back with quotes from a few insurers. After asking me for more info (NIE, address, etc.), 2 days since I'm still waiting.
So, I don't know how good they are, but when I do, I'll let you know

www.ibexinsure.com
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to a broker and they will get you quotes and they are not always more expensive than going direct. I have just renewed with Reale (through a broker) and saved 100€ going direct with Mutual. There are online comparisons sites and the Spanish is not that complicated to use. But you get what you pay for - cheap policies come with a very limited cover and T&Cs.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 4:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Many people use Linea Directa as their premiums are fair and their claim payout process is brilliant. As they only deal direct, they will never be promoted by brokers or comparison sites.

I have used them for 18 years and have no complaints at all. Their policy is in English and all their people speak English.

If you can find a better deal on the same terms they will nearly always match it.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know, thank you Fred.
Here is my "little" challenge:
I just bought a car in Spain, my first one in the country. The process went ok, although a bit stressful, as I was in the UK, but my gestor was brilliant.
I'll go to Spain in about 3 weeks and ideally I would like to be able to drive the car straight away, that's why I'm trying to insure it before I get there.
I assume I will not be able to, if I want a good deal / Linea Directa. Better be there, right?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 7:12 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a new car?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Secondhand - the buying went ok, as I had a brilliant gestor, very patient and going "by the book"
I understand that in Spain the car is insured, not the driver, which means that anybody can drive my car (with my permission, of course). Is this right?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:21 am

Yes, subject to any conditions that the company may make, such as the driver being over 25 and holding a licence valid in Spain. Check the policy wording carefully.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Here is an update:
The guy at Ibex came back to me with 4 quotes - from Casera, Reale and Ibex themselves.
I left a message on Linea Directa site and someone called me back - after a bit of negotiating, I got a deal I am happy with, which is actually cheaper than the quotes from Ibex.
Thank you again, Fred!
Old Mar 29th 2018, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

Ah, interesting. My renewal is up next month. I've always used Abbeygate, who are very good as far as communication and process is concerned. Everything in English and all documents emailed straight away. Fortunately never claimed, so cannot comment on their performance in that regard. I have to admit, despite being very competitive with my insurance quotes in the UK, I've never shopped around for my Spanish policy. I think this has prompted me to do just that for my next renewal. Thanks for the info guys...
Old Mar 29th 2018, 9:04 am

Remember that most policies require 1 months notice if you are not going to renew with them. Make sure you get alternative quotes well in advance or the policy will automatically renew itself.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

Thanks Fred, I remained with Abbeygate in the end, as they were able to almost match my best quote after I shopped around.

But, just a quick update prompted by recent events. A week or so ago I had the misfortune of the car completely dying at the side of the road. I called the breakdown company (Coris) in my Abbeygate documentation, the call was answered by an automated system in both Spanish and English. I was then directed to an automated service and sent a link to an app on my phone. I filled in the details, and it obtained my location with the phone's GPS. I could actually see the location of my recovery vehicle working it's way to me on the app map, and within 30 mins or so, I had both a recovery truck and a taxi with me. As this was a Saturday afternoon and all of the garages were closed, the car was taken to a local storage and I was instructed to call the insurance company on Monday and inform them of the garage I preferred for them to deliver the car. This I did, and it was relocated by Monday midday. The long taxi ride for me and my family was prepaid, so no issues there either.

I have to say that breaking down in a foreign country was one of those things that filled me with dread as a car owner in Spain, but (not wishing for it to ever happen again of course!) I cannot praise the service enough, far far better than my last experience with the RAC in the UK (although it was many years ago to be fair).

So, I just thought I'd share my experiences with you. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you do need to use your breakdown cover, it may be less painful than you imagine. I've still not got my car back from the garage however. That may be more painful and costly but fingers crossed it's not!

Last edited by SportyPorty; Apr 24th 2019 at 7:29 am. Reason: grammar
Old Apr 24th 2019, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheapest isn’t always the best. The only time you need insurance is when you have to make a claim. As Fred says look for one easy to deal with and good claims record. I used a broker, best service ever had, was unfortunate to have to make a claim after having the policy for 10 days. No hassle, all dealt with quickly. Renewal was cheaper than previous year even with a claim.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a Spanish speaker I have found Pelayo offer an excellent package and more competitive than Direct Line ( Linea Directa)..

Neat clause in the policy :

Cláusula 1:24:72 guarantees the following : Recovery max 1 hr, Assesor Max 24 hrs y Workshop Max 72 hrs. and if they don't comply free insurance renewal for the next year.