Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

befuddled and confusing which telecom company to choose.

befuddled and confusing which telecom company to choose.

Old May 16th 2011, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough
Default befuddled and confusing which telecom company to choose.

Hi All,
I have just moved to the Costa Blanca North area and have been looking to get myself hooked up to the 21st century, at first I was thinking a landline and internet, then the option of VOIP raised it's head, that said I would most likely go with the landline/tinternet option.

The dilemma, I think, stems from the options, most if not all, seem to revolve around having a Telefonica line in first, Telefonica appears to be the dearest option, then there are Bay Connect, Telitec and the last contender to raise it's head was RTN.

There isn't a great deal between the 3 none Telefonica choices, so I guess I am asking for guidance, suggestions, horror stories that would otherwise guide me to the correct decision.

I will be mainly using the phone for Spain landlines and UK landlines and Mobiles.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old May 16th 2011, 8:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: befuddled and confusing which telecom company to choose.

The title of this thread probably sums up the thoughts of nearly all of the expats here. I have only ever used Telefonica and the service I have received has always been excellent albeit expensive. The problems that I have had, builder chopping through the cable etc were given immediate attention but saying that the cost is very high. I know that many on here have different service providers and will no doubt be along to give advice.
Best of luck with your decision.

Graham
Old May 17th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Vodafone offer some quite attractive packages but don't be tempted - their customer service is terrible!
Old May 17th 2011, 2:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 17polarbear
Hi All,
I have just moved to the Costa Blanca North area and have been looking to get myself hooked up to the 21st century, at first I was thinking a landline and internet, then the option of VOIP raised it's head, that said I would most likely go with the landline/tinternet option.

The dilemma, I think, stems from the options, most if not all, seem to revolve around having a Telefonica line in first, Telefonica appears to be the dearest option, then there are Bay Connect, Telitec and the last contender to raise it's head was RTN.

There isn't a great deal between the 3 none Telefonica choices, so I guess I am asking for guidance, suggestions, horror stories that would otherwise guide me to the correct decision.

I will be mainly using the phone for Spain landlines and UK landlines and Mobiles.

Any thoughts anyone?
Im considering Telitec at the moment. The set up charges are quite high, €199. Also you have to have an antenna on the side of your house, and if you want the phone system as well then thats a set up fee also.

You can get free install but you have to take an 18 month contract and pay it all up front, and you still have to pay the phone install
Old May 17th 2011, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Xabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant future

Try Direct Telecom's 'One Call' option. I've been with this company for some six years and their service & support has been quite exceptional, far better than Movistar / Telefonica.
Old May 17th 2011, 4:38 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xabiero
Try Direct Telecom's 'One Call' option. I've been with this company for some six years and their service & support has been quite exceptional, far better than Movistar / Telefonica.
I've just been to their website and it's VERY unclear as to how they operate.

I think they use the Telefonica line - if that's the case then they can NOT guarantee a faster ADSL service than Telefonica currently can!

They also seem to insist that they take over the line rental from Telefonica even if you only want the ADSL package - again leading me to believe that they are piggy-backing.

Has any one else managed to clarify how it works (Xabiero)?
Old May 17th 2011, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Xabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I've just been to their website and it's VERY unclear as to how they operate.

I think they use the Telefonica line - if that's the case then they can NOT guarantee a faster ADSL service than Telefonica currently can!

They also seem to insist that they take over the line rental from Telefonica even if you only want the ADSL package - again leading me to believe that they are piggy-backing.

Has any one else managed to clarify how it works (Xabiero)?
As far as I understand it, Movistar / Telefonica remains the owner of the physical network but Direct Telecom (as would any other telecoms company) takes on the responsibility for that infrastructure. If anything goes wrong, I would deal with DT which is much preferable that dealing directly with Movistar.

As for the speed of the ADSL, I used to have Telefonica but the service was dreadful, constantly dropping out with periods of extreme slowness interspersed with occasional decents speeds - despite living very close to the nearest exchange. When I changed to DT, the speed was noticeably quicker and the line far more stable. In fact, I've had fewer drops in service in the past six years than I did with just two years with Telefonica. I can't answer how that can be so, seeing as both companies use the same infrastructure. But it is.

For the first five years, line rental was with Telefonica and the ADSL service with Direct Telecom so you can differentiate. However, after some truly dreadful service from Movistar / Telefonica last winter, DT has assumed responsibility for the line rental and therefore do the head-bashing on my behalf.
Old May 17th 2011, 10:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The third party carrier normally only offers the same as TF, as their lines are used. the reason I am looking at Telitec is that it is wireless, and therefore they are able to offer more than telefonica
Old May 18th 2011, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Some friends have wireless Telitec and tell me that if it rains, the signal isn't so good.
Telitec also have a cable service.

John.
Old May 18th 2011, 8:38 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Saxy
Some friends have wireless Telitec and tell me that if it rains, the signal isn't so good.
Telitec also have a cable service.

John.
Where are they based John? I can see the Telitec mast from my house way in the distance so I was hoping that might be a plus
Old May 18th 2011, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Telitec are based in Moraira.
Old May 18th 2011, 8:43 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Xabiero
Telitec are based in Moraira.
Yes, I meant where are their friends based
Old May 18th 2011, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Doh!
Old May 18th 2011, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Where are they based John? I can see the Telitec mast from my house way in the distance so I was hoping that might be a plus
Sorry my good lady has just told me that she thinks they are not with Telitec, but with someone else.
They live at Tibi, which is on the way to Ibi? and they can see their suppliers mast.
It's no good asking me for directions, I dont know anywhere north of Petersfield, Hants, east of Chichester, Sussex, or south of the Isle of Wight

John.

Last edited by Saxy; May 18th 2011 at 9:11 am.