Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bank Account Problem

Bank Account Problem

Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank Account Problem

I have just received a letter from CaixaBank relating to prevention of money laundering.
The bank/authorities seems to think that I am carrying out economic and business operations.
They also require a form 036 and income tax return and VAT summary.
I have no idea how they have come to this totally incorrect conclusion that I am carrying out business activities in Spain.
I cannot supply this information as I am not economically active in Spain.
Apparently they have suspended some of my banking services as I did not respond by 12/02/2018 but I did not receive the letter until 24/02/2018!
I am not out again until towards the end of march when I hopefully can get it sorted but how.
Any ideas how I can put them right and show I am economically inactive.?
Thanks
Old Feb 28th 2018, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Account Problem

Never heard of this problem before...guessing you are non-resident? If so surely your account(s) are designated as non-resident. Try explaining the error and showing them copies of your NR tax return. How long have you been with them? Did a mistake occur when you opened the account and it has been setup incorrectly? Have they confused you with someone else (show them your NIE)
Old Feb 28th 2018, 3:36 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I have just received a letter from CaixaBank relating to prevention of money laundering.
The bank/authorities seems to think that I am carrying out economic and business operations.
I have no idea how they have come to this totally incorrect conclusion that I am carrying out business activities in Spain.
Apparently they have suspended some of my banking services as I did not respond by 12/02/2018 but I did not receive the letter until 24/02/2018!
I am not out again until towards the end of march when I hopefully can get it sorted but how.
Thanks
I think they've sent the incorrect form to everyone.

As far as I understand, Modelo 036 is ONLY for businesses (hence VAT summary etc.)
Old Feb 28th 2018, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think they've sent the incorrect form to everyone.

As far as I understand, Modelo 036 is ONLY for businesses (hence VAT summary etc.)
As used for Autonomos maybe the mistake has originated there.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

You could approach the chap who does our non resident tax returns for us. His details are

Pablo Faus BaƱuls.

GRUPO FAUS CONSULTORES SL
C/ Alfaro, 2 Entl.
46701 Gandia (Valencia)
Tel.962 965 859
Fax.962 840 268
E-mail: [email protected]

He may be able to help and if so will charge a fee.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 8:19 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I also recommend Pablo.

Rosemary
Old Feb 28th 2018, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I also received this form, it was quite a surprise as I'm a retired pensioner and have been legal and a tax resident here for ten years. I sorted out all of the paperwork that I thought might be relevant and took it into Ciaxia, after standing in line for an hour when it was finally my turn I was informed that they had sent that form out to everyone and not to worry as they had all of my details on file.
Just make sure that they have a copy of your NIE your passport and one of your tax status, that should be all that they need.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the info. and advice.
I had this vision of getting caught up in the mad world of Spanish bureaucracy!
Old Mar 13th 2018, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Lojahome is an unknown quantity at this point

I also got the same letter, and requested assistance from our solicitor, please see below for his response:

This is a letter all the banks are sending because they are obliged by law to have your fiscal/tax data to avoid money laundering/terrorism acts.
Then, you had to send them your annual personal tax income, and on the case you have any working activity here in Spain, any document related to it before 12th February because if not the bank account will be blocked until this question is solved.
If you are not working in Spain, it would be enough with your P60 or any other annual person tax income you may have in UK.
As experienced with other clients, you need to go the branch where you open the bank account and take your original passport and NIE with you. Then, they will update your details and make you sign some forms declaring your tax residence is in UK and not Spain, and apart from that, you should print and give them the P60/annual tax income in UK.

We are going into our branch in April to try and sort things out.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Thanks