Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Baby's first UK passport...from spain

Baby's first UK passport...from spain

Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

CostaFamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby's first UK passport...from spain

Please help! My daughter was born a few weeks ago and I really need to get her a passport (UK).

Has anyone got experience of how to go about it?

I have her spanish birth certificate,

Thank you.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:06 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby's first UK passport...from spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to apply online here. Registering her birth first and obtaining a consular birth certificate to use for her passport application is recommended but not mandatory as it will also give her permanent evidence of her British citizenship.

For either application first obtain your daughter's multilingual birth certificate if you haven't already. This is available from the same place where you obtained her Spanish language birth certificate. They are a standard accepted format and are usually free or obtainable for a small fee. It's a much cheaper and easier alternative to paying a professional to translate her full Spanish birth certificate.

You'll also need your original full British birth certificate. If you do not have this you can order a new copy from the General Register Office if you were born in England or Wales.

The full list of supporting documents required are listed on the official websites.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CostaFamily
Please help! My daughter was born a few weeks ago and I really need to get her a passport (UK).

Has anyone got experience of how to go about it?

I have her spanish birth certificate,

Thank you.
If it's for travelling to the UK then you can also get your daughter a Spanish ID card - it may be quicker (and cheaper). Main problem is that it might raise a few eyebrows at the immigration desk when they see two British parents bringing a "Spanish" baby into the UK.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 6:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
If it's for travelling to the UK then you can also get your daughter a Spanish ID card - it may be quicker (and cheaper). Main problem is that it might raise a few eyebrows at the immigration desk when they see two British parents bringing a "Spanish" baby into the UK.
Only if the child is a Spanish citizen. I inferred from the OP that wasn't the case.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Only if the child is a Spanish citizen. I inferred from the OP that wasn't the case.
If the child has a Spanish birth certificate then I'd have thought getting the id card should be a formality, and with the Spanish id card comes the Spanish citizenship.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:42 pm

Default !~

Originally Posted by chopera
If the child has a Spanish birth certificate then I'd have thought getting the id card should be a formality, and with the Spanish id card comes the Spanish citizenship.
A Spanish birth certificate comes with being born in Spain. Spanish citizenship entitles you to a Spanish ID card not the other way round.

Unless one of the child's parents is Spanish, born in Spain themselves or the child would otherwise be left stateless then the child won't be Spanish by virtue of merely being born in Spain.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: !~

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A Spanish birth certificate comes with being born in Spain. Spanish citizenship entitles you to a Spanish ID card not the other way round.

Unless one of the child's parents is Spanish, born in Spain themselves or the child would otherwise be left stateless then the child won't be Spanish by virtue of merely being born in Spain.
Yes you're right - my children have a Spanish mother so the process was straight forward for us - but of course if neither parent is Spanish then they'd have to apply for Spanish nationality first.