Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

Old May 23rd 2017, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

Originally Posted by Rosemary
The real question that is being asked is not really being answered because as expected everyone has gone off at a tangent.

My personal view is that is it probably too early in the tourist season and the political process to be able to observe whether things have changed or not.

In every country there will be tolerant people and intolerant people so it is not advisable to generalise to any degree.

So folks, have you noticed any difference in attitude towards the locals from the Brits on holiday? Are they shouting out abusive comments at the locals? Are the British holiday makers being verbally abused by the locals?

Rosemary
I think it has been answered and people will still go on holiday regadless of what happened in the UK. As I said, just because people in Catalonia want independence doesn't mean they don't go on holiday elsewhere in Spain. As bobd22 said, it's pointless. Figures are up, hotels fully booked etc.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think it has been answered and people will still go on holiday regardless of what happened in the UK. As I said, just because people in Catalonia want independence doesn't mean they don't go on holiday elsewhere in Spain. As bobd22 said, it's pointless. Figures are up, hotels fully booked etc.
True. That is the core of it. Any experience of different behaviour is the main part of the question so maybe that could now be focussed on rather than generalising about various nationalities.

Rosemary
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
True. That is the core of it. Any experience of different behaviour is the main part of the question so maybe that could now be focussed on rather than generalising about various nationalities.

Rosemary
Somehow I think if there had been a significant change either way we would have heard in the media? Especially if negative for British the well known rags would be right on top of it!
Old May 23rd 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the poster having thrown his pebble into the pool as it were is now standing back watching the ripples with some strange degree of satisfaction. It also appears he forms his opinion of things in the UK from what he reads in the gutter press.

My Spanish friends were similarly surprised when they heard the news. However when I told them about the UK Government paying towards the health costs of all the UK pensioners in various countries and describing how we were forced to pay child allowance to children who have never been in the Uk they said it was 'insostenible'.

Most Spanish are supportive of the EU - of course they are. Since they have been in the EU they have received a gift of (it is said ) over €40 billion which has raised their country's standards in a way they could not have expected to have done themselves. It is only recently they have been asked to contribute and this is only in the millions. They also have a more cavalier attitude to infringements of EU policies as they are in the top three.

On the other hand the UK has given over €100 as a gift and it would seem still owes the EU a further €100,00 - for what one asks. People would be forgiven for believing that a lot of this money had gone on vanity projects. I remember Spain before the EU and indeed holidayed there. On one occasion I even travelled by train to Calella for a holiday (although we had to change at Port Bou as the guagees were incompatible.) I cannot recall any of the scenarios that people are describing - in fact the worst crossing I have ever experienced between Spain and another country was that between Spain and Gibraltar and that was down to idiots rather than security.
Old May 23rd 2017, 12:54 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Somehow I think if there had been a significant change either way we would have heard in the media? Especially if negative for British the well known rags would be right on top of it!
That is my thoughts on the subject too.

Rosemary
Old May 23rd 2017, 1:02 pm

I have had to remove several posts due to the "in fighting", you know full well that this is not tolerated so please desist. Further posts showing your animosity towards each other will gain you a nice little holiday away from BE.

Rosemary
Old May 23rd 2017, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I think you will find that those that voted out are not all racist alcholoic trouble makers. Just as all that voted remain are not all sober church going racially tolerant people. Just my experience from what I see.
Well said. I voted Brexit and spend 6 months in Spain and Europe. Off to Prague Austria Germany France and Spain all in the next few months.I love Europe but not the EU. Brexit won't change my holidays.
Old May 23rd 2017, 1:25 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bridie55
Well said. I voted Brexit and spend 6 months in Spain and Europe. Off to Prague Austria Germany France and Spain all in the next few months.I love Europe but not the EU. Brexit won't change my holidays.
You are assuming that you won't need a visa for your European holidays in the future, something that is not yet clear.

Last edited by mikelincs; May 23rd 2017 at 2:00 pm.
Old May 23rd 2017, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You are assuming that you won't need a visa for you European holidays in the future, something that is not yet clear.
Can't remember having to have a visa pre EU for Spain France etc. Come to think of it most of 'old' Europe. If we do we do..
Old May 23rd 2017, 1:35 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bridie55
Can't remember having to have a visa pre EU for Spain France etc. Come to think of it most of 'old' Europe. If we do we do..
I expect that whatever rules the UK applies to end so called free movement will be reciprocated by the EU.

Remember travel in those far off days was but a fraction of what it is today.
Old May 23rd 2017, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Golden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You are assuming that you won't need a visa for your European holidays in the future, something that is not yet clear.
Maybe UK citizens will need a visa to enter EU countries in the future but it will be an online version just as we do today for the USA or Canada or Australia or India etc. No big deal.
The ending of Freedom of Movement will have little impact on tourism, it will have little impact on skilled people moving between the EU and the UK where their skills are wanted and they have a specific job to go to or, in the case of retired people, they are not seeking a job or benefits.
Old May 23rd 2017, 2:18 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golden Years
Maybe UK citizens will need a visa to enter EU countries in the future but it will be an online version just as we do today for the USA or Canada or Australia or India etc. No big deal.
The ending of Freedom of Movement will have little impact on tourism, it will have little impact on skilled people moving between the EU and the UK where their skills are wanted and they have a specific job to go to or, in the case of retired people, they are not seeking a job or benefits.
A great way to raise money for the NHS in the UK and the struggling economies for southern Europe , charge for visas.
I am sure it is already on someone's list.
Old May 23rd 2017, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Golden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
A great way to raise money for the NHS in the UK and the struggling economies for southern Europe , charge for visas.
I am sure it is already on someone's list.
Interesting point.
Right now the Americans, the Canadians and the Australians charge the British for their online "visa" applications but the UK doesn't reciprocate.
Good way to raise money, as you say, for projects such as the NHS.
I expect the EU to impose one after we leave so that would be a good time to follow their lead.
Old May 23rd 2017, 2:38 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Golden Years
Interesting point.
Right now the Americans, the Canadians and the Australians charge the British for their online "visa" applications but the UK doesn't reciprocate.
Good way to raise money, as you say, for projects such as the NHS.
I expect the EU to impose one after we leave so that would be a good time to follow their lead.
By the end of the year I will have spent around 200$ on visas .
So nothing new to me.
If the EU starts to charge Ithe will be the excuse to spend more time out of the UK, more time in the EU. fewer journeys in and out of the UK.
Old May 23rd 2017, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
By the end of the year I will have spent around 200$ on visas .
So nothing new to me.
If the EU starts to charge Ithe will be the excuse to spend more time out of the UK, more time in the EU. fewer journeys in and out of the UK.
I don't think they will be on a per trip basis but will, instead, last for a couple of years like the American ESTA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.