Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

Old May 22nd 2017, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
Theres a similar topic on the Portuguese thread - but as Spain is the country most likely to be affected i wanted to ask the question here
The original thread is about how embarassing to expats the behaviour of a significant number of Brits abroad can be to the expat population

my question to Spain is based around this
i really can't imagine what 17 million people who all vow they hate Europe - i know - hate the eu - better or at least accurate - hate foreigners especially ones from Europe - i know- say things like send all Europeans home - die expat traitors - we hate the undemocratic unelected corrupt EU - i know - etc etc will do on their 10 days of cheap beer and sunburned fun packed holidays - probably i' m guessing in Europe - maybe even in the EU - a fun summer this one will probably not be

i appreciate its hard to tell the difference between a drunken Brit causing trouble or a drunken brexit causing trouble - but does anyone have any actual experience of this to date this holiday season
Perhaps even evidence of 17 million people who clearly hate Europe cancelling holidays
Last month am sure you will have read in "Correio da Manha" about the several hundred Portuguese students who ransacked a hotel in Fuengirola as they "enjoyed" their break.

Not excusing the Brits in any way but it takes all sorts.
Old May 22nd 2017, 11:52 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I can't see tourism being affected significantly as many tourists don't care for the locals or what the locals think.
Part of me is looking forward to the realisation from some after Brexit that they may have to queue at immigration losing our status as EU, EEA members.
That they will be limited to the pre tax paid days of 200fags, 1 Ltr of spirits etc.
HM customs having a field day fining or confiscating their over the limit purchases.
I will under my breath be saying, it's what you voted for.

There will be many who sell to UK tourists who will be affected by these changes.

Last edited by EMR; May 22nd 2017 at 1:52 pm.
Old May 22nd 2017, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Part of me is looking forward to the realisation from some after Brexit that they may have to queue at immigration loosing our status as EU, EEA members.
That they will be limited to the pre tax paid days of 200fags, 1 Ltr of spirits etc.
HM customs having a field day fining or confiscating their over the limit purchases.
I will under my breath be saying, it's what you voted for.

There will be many who sell to UK tourists who will be affected by these changes.
Fair point.
Old May 22nd 2017, 1:59 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

No change here, we don't get many tourists from U.K. or anywhere else for that matter.
Old May 22nd 2017, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit or no Brexit many Brits abroad (especially holidaymakers) are a disgrace to the human race never mind the UK

Some say it is a minority - maybe, maybe not

In general loud, foul mouthed, disrespectful, arrogant, aggressive drunks and think that the Brits are the best, above everyone and everything else, they think the world owes them a favour and everyone should do as they do.

This is not just stag or hen do's or groups of youngsters but also and very often families.

Shocking behaviour inability to handle alcohol and no respect for anyone but themselves.
Old May 22nd 2017, 6:46 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

We get a lot of tourists of course, but the Brits tend to stick to the "comfort zones" - the ones serving full English brekkies, British brands on tap, fish & chips and roast beef/pud, have "tribute band" entertainment in the evenings, and of course, all-inclusive (a British favourite, although banned from Brits starting next year, to the relief of many hotels).

We don't live anywhere near those places (and wouldn't go in season), so around here, we get mostly Germans, Swiss, Austrians, Danish, Swedish, Norwegians, Dutch, French...
Old May 22nd 2017, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Part of me is looking forward to the realisation from some after Brexit that they may have to queue at immigration losing our status as EU, EEA members.
O!
M!
G!

Why did nobody tell us it would be THAT serious?

Whenever I have travelled in or out of Europe, and I have done so extensively, the Non-EU passport control has had much much smaller queues that the supposedly "free passage" EU channels.

Bring on the restricted movement lol
Old May 22nd 2017, 7:23 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgm1963
O!
M!
G!

Whenever I have travelled in or out of Europe, and I have done so extensively, the Non-EU passport control has had much much smaller queues that the supposedly "free passage" EU channels.

Bring qon the restricted movement lol
You will be the first to complain when your cries of I am British are net with, so what get to the back of the queue along with the rest of the non EU world.
Old May 22nd 2017, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgm1963
O!
M!
G!

Bring on the restricted movement lol
With the UK out of the EU the non EU queues will be longer & the EU queues shorter!
Old May 22nd 2017, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

With the UK out of the EU the non EU queues will be longer & the EU queues shorter!
Post- Brexit such queue segregation will not exist!!! It will UK one side "The Rest" the other
Old May 22nd 2017, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Post- Brexit such queue segregation will not exist!!! It will UK one side "The Rest" the other
Sure, when coming into the UK, the other way (into Europe) however...
Old May 22nd 2017, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sure, when coming into the UK, the other way (into Europe) however...
Of course
Old May 22nd 2017, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
We get a lot of tourists of course, but the Brits tend to stick to the "comfort zones" - the ones serving full English brekkies, British brands on tap, fish & chips and roast beef/pud, have "tribute band" entertainment in the evening
That description fits a lot of expats from what I have seen.
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
You will be the first to complain when your cries of I am British are net with, so what get to the back of the queue along with the rest of the non EU world.
No

I won't.
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:22 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Yes, we are all bored to death by the Brexit war.

There are threads about it in Take It Outside so maybe it would be a good idea for you to ask this question there rather than here because there are members from all countries participating.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.