Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Assets declaration after moving back to the UK

Assets declaration after moving back to the UK

Old Aug 20th 2015, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assets declaration after moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by Dondurma
But if you have got all your money out of Spain I doubt they will chase you around Europe for a final tax return
Of course you have to do a tax return for the whole year, if you have spent more than 183 days in Spain that year - you owe it!
However, as my income tax is more in the UK, I doubt that there. Wil be much , if anything, to pay.
I bet there are some on this forum in my tax situation - What have they been advised to do? What have they done?
P S - i have just received an email from my accountant in Spain, replying to my question about the 720, and she says I do NOT have to submit a 720 next year for this year!
Old Aug 20th 2015, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't see them chasing you through the courts of other countries for it!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2015, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dondurma
I still don't see them chasing you through the courts of other countries for it!!!!
Surprisingly, some of us try to to the right thing!
Old Aug 20th 2015, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get all high and mighty sunshine. I am not advocating anything, just stating facts.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 11:46 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Do you think so?
At least if I came to Spain, and my husband died I wouldn't have to pay inheritance tax as spouses are exempt in the UK and The tax allowance much more generous,
Being tax resident in Spain for the whole year is a pain too.
Also I don't have to pay an accountant a load of money to do a tax declaration or a 720 .
You were talking about the procedures you have to go through with the tax office when you leave Spain and that was what I was referring to, not the different tax regime.

I learned a long time ago that it is easier and much cheaper to do your own tax declaration and asset form. It also saves a lot of money.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

P S - i have just received an email from my accountant in Spain, replying to my question about the 720, and she says I do NOT have to submit a 720 next year for this year!
Just to be clear, if you were required to submit a return (because your asset values had changed) then you do need to do so.

Pregunta 2: Si una persona física se trasladó al extranjero una vez iniciado el ejercicio 2012 y deberá presentar declaración del Impuesto sobre la Renta de Personas Físicas por el ejercicio 2012. ¿Tiene obligación de presentar el Modelo informativo respecto a los bienes y derechos en el extranjero?.

Respuesta: Sí, siempre y cuando de acuerdo con la regulación de estas tres obligaciones de información resulte obligado a informar de las mismas.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CapnBilly
Just to be clear, if you were required to submit a return (because your asset values had changed) then you do need to do so.

Pregunta 2: Si una persona física se trasladó al extranjero una vez iniciado el ejercicio 2012 y deberá presentar declaración del Impuesto sobre la Renta de Personas Físicas por el ejercicio 2012. ¿Tiene obligación de presentar el Modelo informativo respecto a los bienes y derechos en el extranjero?.

Respuesta: Sí, siempre y cuando de acuerdo con la regulación de estas tres obligaciones de información resulte obligado a informar de las mismas.
well, the accountant was aware I had bought a house since returning to the UK , and still insisted I did not have to submit the 720 next year. I asked her to check with the Spanish tax office.
As I said, I realise why I have to do a tax return, as I am considered tax resident for the whole year.but I cannot see why the tax office needs to know my assets in UK now that I am living here and cancelled my residencia.
Surely there is someone here who has submitted a 720 while living in Spain, gone back to live in the UK and has bought a house- I want to know what advice they were given, or is it that they did NOTHING?-
Old Aug 20th 2015, 3:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly would not take much notice of advice given to a third party by a third party.

You have plenty of good advice on this forum about it, why not just take that advice and declare it on Form 720. It's not a big deal, you can do it online in a few minutes, probably a lot less time than you will spend trying to get the answer you want to hear.

If you choose to ignore that advice and don't declare, that's fine as it's your decision.

There is nothing more I can add, or intend to add on this subject.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

I asked her to check with the Spanish tax office.
I should have clarified that the quote in Spanish is from the Hacienda FAQ on the Modelo 720.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

I should have clarified that the quote in Spanish is from the Hacienda FAQ on the Modelo 720.
So why would my accountant tell me I do not have to submit a 720 for the property I bought this year after moving back to Uk?
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 6:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

So why would my accountant tell me I do not have to submit a 720 for the property I bought this year after moving back to Uk?
What would be the point, more to the question.

The way I moved back to the UK meant I didnt submit A 720, but even if I had made a previous declaration I would not be doing another for the property I purchased when I got back to the UK.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
What would be the point, more to the question.

The way I moved back to the UK meant I didnt submit A 720, but even if I had made a previous declaration I would not be doing another for the property I purchased when I got back to the UK.
Why?
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 6:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Why?
Exactly