Reload this Page >

Area advice for Young family moving to Southern Spain

Area advice for Young family moving to Southern Spain

Old Mar 1st 2018, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Kwilkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Area advice for Young family moving to Southern Spain

Hello all!!

I’m hoping you might be able to offer some advice on areas to a young family moving to Southern Spain. Areas from Alicante down to Marbella.

We’re looking to move over in the next 18 months - 2 years so have plenty of time to visit all of the areas and return to our short lists.
Work is not a problem & we would have a generous (ish) budget so we’re not too limited in that sense.

Things to consider:
We would initially rent with a view to purchase something else with a potential business opportunity so would need to not be too far from “touristy” areas.

We’re a family with a baby & a toddler so they will be very young however a good international school is essential ( I’ve read they’re all very good) ?

We’d like a community with young families & things to do & safety is a high priority so somewhere with a low crime rate obviously!

We like eating out & shopping but not being too close to the noise. Nice bars & restaurants within easy reach.

We don’t speak Spanish (Yet) so an area of English speaking mixed community would be beneficial.

Would like to be close to the beach (15-20 min car ride would be the limit) we currently live in a tiny village so rural is fine as long as we have some neighbours & we’re close enough to local amenities.

Privacy and not to be overlooked is important.
Amazing views is a must.
Must be in easy reach( 1-1.5 hours max) to an airport as my Husband’s job involves European travel.

We’re looking anywhere from Alicante down to Marbella.
Areas we have considered or have been suggested:

Alicante area
Murcia area
Villamartin
Javea
Almeria
Nerja
Frigiliana
Torrox
Mijas

And some villages surrounding the above.

Any suggestions, advice etc is more than welcome.

Many thanks in advance
Old Mar 1st 2018, 2:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Area advice for Young family moving to Southern Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 1st 2018, 2:38 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

State school would be fine for your children due to their age and this would mean that they would be making friends with the local children. It is older children that need to go to International school.

Rosemary
Old Mar 1st 2018, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Kwilkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosemary
State school would be fine for your children due to their age and this would mean that they would be making friends with the local children. It is older children that need to go to International school.

Rosemary
Thanks Rosemary

I haven’t looked into State schools due to what I’ve read in some other forums about the education being better at international schools but I will have a look!
Katie
Old Mar 6th 2018, 11:45 am
Just Joined

danni2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We too are moving out this year we have decided on Frigiliana but will just rent for now to make sure... Our girls are a little older 7 and 10 so just hoping the schools will make them feel welcome!
Good luck with your move.
Danni

Originally Posted by Kwilkie
Hello all!!

I’m hoping you might be able to offer some advice on areas to a young family moving to Southern Spain. Areas from Alicante down to Marbella.

We’re looking to move over in the next 18 months - 2 years so have plenty of time to visit all of the areas and return to our short lists.
Work is not a problem & we would have a generous (ish) budget so we’re not too limited in that sense.

Things to consider:
We would initially rent with a view to purchase something else with a potential business opportunity so would need to not be too far from “touristy” areas.

We’re a family with a baby & a toddler so they will be very young however a good international school is essential ( I’ve read they’re all very good) ?

We’d like a community with young families & things to do & safety is a high priority so somewhere with a low crime rate obviously!

We like eating out & shopping but not being too close to the noise. Nice bars & restaurants within easy reach.

We don’t speak Spanish (Yet) so an area of English speaking mixed community would be beneficial.

Would like to be close to the beach (15-20 min car ride would be the limit) we currently live in a tiny village so rural is fine as long as we have some neighbours & we’re close enough to local amenities.

Privacy and not to be overlooked is important.
Amazing views is a must.
Must be in easy reach( 1-1.5 hours max) to an airport as my Husband’s job involves European travel.

We’re looking anywhere from Alicante down to Marbella.
Areas we have considered or have been suggested:

Alicante area
Murcia area
Villamartin
Javea
Almeria
Nerja
Frigiliana
Torrox
Mijas

And some villages surrounding the above.

Any suggestions, advice etc is more than welcome.

Many thanks in advance
Old Mar 6th 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by danni2018
Hi
We too are moving out this year we have decided on Frigiliana but will just rent for now to make sure... Our girls are a little older 7 and 10 so just hoping the schools will make them feel welcome!
Good luck with your move.
Danni
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary