Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone here from Hondon

Anyone here from Hondon

Old Nov 16th 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone here from Hondon

I have just picked up on this thread. I am having a house built on Oasis V1 just by the pool. I went through Medsea and they have been great, can't say same for contrimar.140 euro per extra socket,just found out vanity sink/cupboard in bathroom not supplied dread to think what will be next. We are looking at a mortgage with halifax,does anyone know if they are connected to contrimar - been reading about mortgages and dodgy agents/builders. Completion supposed to be 31st August 2008 but after what I've read - wait and see!!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 5:30 pm
Yorkshire and Hondon

GILBEY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by linda Coyle
I have just picked up on this thread. I am having a house built on Oasis V1 just by the pool. I went through Medsea and they have been great, can't say same for contrimar.140 euro per extra socket,just found out vanity sink/cupboard in bathroom not supplied dread to think what will be next. We are looking at a mortgage with halifax,does anyone know if they are connected to contrimar - been reading about mortgages and dodgy agents/builders. Completion supposed to be 31st August 2008 but after what I've read - wait and see!!
Hi think you must be just over the road from us then. If your completion date is August next year God knows when the pool will be ready. The bank Contrimar are using is a spanish one and nothing to do with Halifax but I've forgotten the name. You should be fine.

I must admit we were disappointed when there was no vanity unit as all the other show houses had them included. Still, all those houses were in concrete city and you could have shook hands with your neighbours when standing at the vanity unit!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

I think the bank is Caja Murcia or someone like that - there's a big sign as you drive up the hill, so I'll take note when we go and check on progress over the weekend!

Ours was supposed to be ready by July... then September... then October... then September again... now December (late, and Medsea say 'unlikely'). Others are in the same boat - I'm wondering whether the 'cash buyers' are having their homes completed first, whilst those of us with a mortgage will have to wait...
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

After I posted yesterday got an email from medsea. The builder was asked to put sockets on the chimney so we could mount a flat screen tv, this was agreed about 3 months ago, now he has decided he can't do it as it wasn't in the original architects plan!! We are having an archway put in to open bedroom 3 into the livingroom and the window dropped to a patio - this was not in the original plan but he is doing it. Does anyone know why the sockets cannot be put on the chimney? this would save us mess having to do it after it is all finished off, or is anyone able to do this for us when we come over? I did ask about getting the vanity sink in and was quoted 690 euro, feel the builder is getting enough for extras so we will perhaps get our own and change over when we eventually get there. Has anyone had a corner fire put in? We have asked for this and just wonder if it takes up a lot of space. My plot (35 on a corner) has foundations done and structural pillars up so at least it has been started.One other point, we will not be using the communal pool so do we have to contribute to the upkeep?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

After I posted yesterday got an email from medsea. The builder was asked to put sockets on the chimney so we could mount a flat screen tv, this was agreed about 3 months ago, now he has decided he can't do it as it wasn't in the original architects plan!! We are having an archway put in to open bedroom 3 into the livingroom and the window dropped to a patio - this was not in the original plan but he is doing it. Does anyone know why the sockets cannot be put on the chimney? this would save us mess having to do it after it is all finished off, or is anyone able to do this for us when we come over? I did ask about getting the vanity sink in and was quoted 690 euro, feel the builder is getting enough for extras so we will perhaps get our own and change over when we eventually get there.
The builders make a packet from selling 'extras'. 20,000 euro for a pool that local builders will install for 12,000 for example. 4,500 to 'pre-install' air-con (that excludes the units - that's just to run the pipework!). 9,000 for central heating.

Most things, however, can easily be put in after the build. Most builders around here seem to charge about 10 euro an hour, a sparky is about 25 euro an hour, his mate about 12 euro.

There are plenty of people making a living 'fixing things' on Oasis - don't know what they charge the Brits, however...

Around our chimney there IS a structural pillar - and hence it will kind of be in the way when running the cable. That said, it would have been easy to run it via another route.

My plot (35 on a corner) has foundations done and structural pillars up so at least it has been started.
They've all shot up in the last month or so. Obviously knew Medsea were planning an inspection.

One other point, we will not be using the communal pool so do we have to contribute to the upkeep?
Probably. I doubt think they'll open the pool until everyone contributes. Expect locals with pitch-forks on your doorstep until you cough up!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:29 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

After I posted yesterday got an email from medsea. The builder was asked to put sockets on the chimney so we could mount a flat screen tv, this was agreed about 3 months ago, now he has decided he can't do it as it wasn't in the original architects plan!! We are having an archway put in to open bedroom 3 into the livingroom and the window dropped to a patio - this was not in the original plan but he is doing it. Does anyone know why the sockets cannot be put on the chimney? this would save us mess having to do it after it is all finished off, or is anyone able to do this for us when we come over? I did ask about getting the vanity sink in and was quoted 690 euro, feel the builder is getting enough for extras so we will perhaps get our own and change over when we eventually get there. Has anyone had a corner fire put in? We have asked for this and just wonder if it takes up a lot of space. My plot (35 on a corner) has foundations done and structural pillars up so at least it has been started.One other point, we will not be using the communal pool so do we have to contribute to the upkeep?

Medsea We went through them - don't believe a word they say! I expect they have told you that you will have a year aftersales help after moving in (?) We haven't had any help whatsoever since moving in also they have ignored e-mails and phone calls are never returned

Don't do the extras through the agent or builder - get an independant quote.

Check with the town hall before making any changes as you may need a licence and without that you will not get your Certificate of Habitacion. Many residents on our urbanisation made changes before completion and are now being fined large amounts of money. This has also led to the Certificate of Habitacion being held back for everyone until licences are applied for and fines given - possibly even some extras having to be removed/demolished.

Last edited by Lionda; Nov 17th 2007 at 7:50 am.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Diddy Di will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
Hello all, anyone here from Hondon de las Nieves?
Hi,
No but soon to be all being well early March 2008.
Are you there already?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

I guess all yo guys have all moved in & enjoying life, so perhaps you could give us some advise.
We hope to leave England early part of March 2008, can anyone provide a good removal firm?
Also can i take some of my electrical goods and just change plugs for Spanish?
Reason being i know if i sell my dishwasher i know i will never get another one, something my husband insists i dont really need (How dare he)
Thanks,
Diddy
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:20 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddy Di
I guess all yo guys have all moved in & enjoying life, so perhaps you could give us some advise.
We hope to leave England early part of March 2008, can anyone provide a good removal firm?
Reason being i know if i sell my dishwasher i know i will never get another one, something my husband insists i dont really need (How dare he)
Thanks,
Diddy
Plug transformer UK to Spanish 60 cents and ALL electrical applicances WILL work in Spain. Click on search at the top of the forum page and type in removals to find threads on the subject. I won't recommend the one we used as I am still after his blood :curse: don't even get me started on that one! Good Luck!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks,
Diddy
I moved the whole lot plus JRT puppy plus five year old daughter in a long wheel base Luton van. To be fair, in hindsight we should have just set fire to all of our posessions and bought new out here - it would have probably been cheaper!

Most electrical items work within reason... just don't assume you can bring your whole kitchen across without making some basic checks first...

You need to make sure your electrical supply can handle a dishwasher (our finca only has a 1kW supply and most dishwashers are 2-3kW). Even our washing machine only works slowly and all the lights in the house dim in time to the rotation of the drum...! You can usually get an uprated supply, but you have to ask Iberdrola. If you're in a new house without all the legal paperwork, you may be on 'Electricidad de obra' or a 'construction site supply' - then your dishwasher will probably plunge the whole street into darkness until such times as you get a real electricity connection.

For things like computers - get a good UPS and/or surge arrestor. Our mains voltage here varies between 200V and 265V throughout the day - with lots of spikes, surges, brownouts, blackouts, etc. Again, if you're on a construction site supply, DON'T plug any expensive items into the mains. For very technical reasons, these types of supply can harbour mains spikes which can destroy your equipment - insurance companies will NOT cover you...
Old Nov 18th 2007, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Anyone here from Hondon

Originally Posted by twyntub
I moved the whole lot plus JRT puppy plus five year old daughter in a long wheel base Luton van. To be fair, in hindsight we should have just set fire to all of our posessions and bought new out here - it would have probably been cheaper!

Most electrical items work within reason... just don't assume you can bring your whole kitchen across without making some basic checks first...

You need to make sure your electrical supply can handle a dishwasher (our finca only has a 1kW supply and most dishwashers are 2-3kW). Even our washing machine only works slowly and all the lights in the house dim in time to the rotation of the drum...! You can usually get an uprated supply, but you have to ask Iberdrola. If you're in a new house without all the legal paperwork, you may be on 'Electricidad de obra' or a 'construction site supply' - then your dishwasher will probably plunge the whole street into darkness until such times as you get a real electricity connection.

For things like computers - get a good UPS and/or surge arrestor. Our mains voltage here varies between 200V and 265V throughout the day - with lots of spikes, surges, brownouts, blackouts, etc. Again, if you're on a construction site supply, DON'T plug any expensive items into the mains. For very technical reasons, these types of supply can harbour mains spikes which can destroy your equipment - insurance companies will NOT cover you...
Hi,
Thanks for that.
We have brought on an habitation, & have the 2kw installed. So still not sure if its worth taking my dishwasher.
Having said that you have made me think about why we are taking our stuff !!
when like you say it might be better to buy new when we get there.

But thanks for the warning, dont think my husband would be too impressed if he pluged his 50" tv in & have it blow up.

How has the dog taken to the heat?
We have two JRT ourselves, they are a little older 7 & 8 thats why we wanted to move in the winterish time so they could acclimatize a little.
You might even see my husband walking them soon, they will be the noisy ones, full of it then run like hell when the other dog barks back (well so to speak)
How long have you been out there now?

Any more words of wisdom would be most welcome.
Di
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have ordered all my larger items of furniture in Spain and have several packed boxes to be taken over. I have had several quotes for removal and the best 2 came from Universal Removals - 12 tea chest size boxes and 4 suitcases £425.00 (from scotland) and much same quote from Union Jack.I am taking my yorkshire terrier - several flight quotes (all around £400.00) but BA from Gatwick around £60.00 (small yorkie). Most airlines take dogs as cargo, BA take as excess baggage - £4.51 per kilo and £20.00 handling fee. Not decided how to bring the dog yet (drive over or flight) but hope these prices give you an idea before you decide.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

How's things in Oasis V1? Still delays going on or are things speeding up with the builds?
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
As far as I know all Contrimar Houses have a mortgage on already. And this seems to slow things down. It happened to us with our builder (not Contrimar). I know some of the recent arrivals on Oasis they too have had the same problem if they were wanting a mortgage to finance their purchase. Apparently it's all paid up and done on the day of signing. The good thing is your bank is doing it's job and will not let you buy a 'dud' house.

Why Contrimar can't tell you this is beyond me - makes you suspicious and worried!! Maybe someone else can en-lighten us as to why. Ours took 6 months to sort out !!! - We had to rent for a while.

And Contrimar seem very busy of late, loads of houses gone up over summer - messy b****rs though !!! No sign of the Communal Pool being opened/finished !! And as I say quite a few new people in the 'Fred Flintstone' houses.

Getting very cold on an evening now - fires have been lit - some have just put Central Heating in (with Gas from Repsol)
How is the gas over there, any problems?
How long have you been there & have you any words of advise for us on heating?
We move over in March so i expect most of the cooler weather will be nearly over & we will have a few months to sort out heating for next year.
One thing that dose confuse me is the fact that we have to pay in advance for connection to gas elec etc, is this normal?
Also whats the difference between the light fittings over there compared with ours?
Thanks
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:43 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

How is the gas over there, any problems?
.... advise for us on heating?
We move over in March so i expect most of the cooler weather will be nearly over & we will have a few months to sort out heating for next year.
One thing that dose confuse me is the fact that we have to pay in advance for connection to gas elec etc, is this normal?
Also whats the difference between the light fittings over there compared with ours?
Thanks

See: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501531

Gas is via Repsol. I have not heard of any outages or that it is particulalrly expensive but not many people have it. We have had many many Leccy and water outages... too many to count.

Yes in March it's just starting to warm up. But April seems to negate the need for heating during the day. A lot will depend on the orientation of your house/rooms towards the sun, your resilience to cold/heat, building quality and size of rooms. So moving in in March/April should help you make a informed decision and get chance to talk to more locals before parting with your hard earned cash - always get MORE THAN ONE QUOTE ... ALWAYS !!!

Lamp/light fittings are 'screw' type. The UK bayonet type are not readily available. We brought lovely lamps over from UK and had to change the lamp fitting. There's an abundance of Lighting Shops over the Alicante region and the likes of Carrefour, AKI, Ardys & Merlins all have well stocked lighting depots.

Check with your solicitor about Electricity connection charges. They are usually over-priced. We paid €500 but have heard Contimar ask a lot lot more. If you search the threads here and talk to locals in Hondon area, the general consensus is that Contrimar charge over the odds for most things or make it hard to get anything changed beyond the original spec'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.