Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone else having problems with NS&I new sign on system?

Anyone else having problems with NS&I new sign on system?

Old May 12th 2023, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone else having problems with NS&I new sign on system?

NS&I (Ernie) have now introduced a new online sign-on validation system which involves them sending a one-time passcode via a call to your mobile - my call and the code never arrive despite repeated attempts.

This system works for my bank but not NS&I - I have called them to report the problem and am awaiting a solution - just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue and how it was fixed.
Old May 12th 2023, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else having problems with NS&I new sign on system?

Originally Posted by spainrico
NS&I (Ernie) have now introduced a new online sign-on validation system which involves them sending a one-time passcode via a call to your mobile - my call and the code never arrive despite repeated attempts.

This system works for my bank but not NS&I - I have called them to report the problem and am awaiting a solution - just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue and how it was fixed.
I log in easily it requires NSI number, surname and password. I think when the system first changed I required to get the code which I got by phone call. Now I just need details I've mentioned and after a short wait it authenticates me and I'm in. You mention numerous attempts? It only gives one three attempts if any errors and then locks you out totally. If you get locked out it is a very long process to get back in as they send the details by post . I know as happened to me and it was a long slow process to get back in.
Old May 12th 2023, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought you haven't changed your phone number since registering your initial details with NS&I? To send your one time passcode they will only use the telephone number you have registered in your account details. It then comes to you as a phone call and they read out the passcode, you can get them to repeat it by pressing a key etc. If you have changed your number they will be ringing the old number.
Old May 12th 2023, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but they have the correct mobile tele number - their call never comes through.

Prior to this yes I was entering NSI number, surname and password and everything was fine.
Old May 12th 2023, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

rbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond repute

The two factor identification system seems to be working fine for me on the phone and on the PC. Bobd22 makes a good point about possible phone number errors. When (eventually) you work out where the codes are going, make sure you accept the option to "register this device" and that will stop the system asking for validation codes on many future logins.
Old May 12th 2023, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is your telephone number a standard mobile or landline? I use a UK mobile number as I have a dual SIM phone.
Old May 12th 2023, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I found this on the NS&I authentication help page

Why am I not receiving an automated phone call?

Your phone network could be automatically blocking the call or sending it to a junk voicemail folder. To unblock the call, you may need to add the following numbers to your networks VIP list:

08085 007 007
Old May 12th 2023, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

rbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond repute

I've just installed the NSI app on an ipad which has never been used with NSI and it installed and authenticated first time, so the system is working. The code came through in less than ten seconds

Are you using a pc or an app?
Old May 12th 2023, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Spanish mobile but the NS&I helpline guy said this was acceptable this morning when I phoned them.

Yes thanks for that but I have added their number to my contacts.

Using a PC and I was signing it OK until they introduced the new system.
Old May 12th 2023, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Suggestion, turn your phone off and reboot

The authentication codes are standard SMS messages, so maybe reconnecting to the messaging system may unblock it.

Last edited by rbs_gb; May 12th 2023 at 9:45 am.
Old May 12th 2023, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get these codes sent to my Spanish SIM but it was only because I was using a different laptop. They seem to require you to use the same device when you log in. If you use a different one they start to get suspicious and send you codes.
Old May 12th 2023, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get these codes sent to my Spanish SIM but it was only because I was using a different laptop. They seem to require you to use the same device when you log in. If you use a different one they start to get suspicious and send you codes.
Anyway I am just going to try it as yesterday my son said his bank app show 3 × £100 NSI payments for the month if April which seems an usually high win for 1 month!!!
Old May 12th 2023, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
Once you have authenticated a device using the 2 factor code their system recognises that device and you log on with normal details. If you use a new device you need to authenticate using 2 factor to authorise that device. I have a phone tablet and Chromebook all authenticated and remembered by their system
Old May 12th 2023, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rbs_gb
Suggestion, turn your phone off and reboot

The authentication codes are standard SMS messages, so maybe reconnecting to the messaging system may unblock it.
If it's a non UK number the message comes as a phone call not SMS. They only SMS UK numbers I believe?
Old May 12th 2023, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Couple of further observations, SMS message comes from NS&I but when I check the details of the message there is no sender number. Is it possible your phone is blocking unknown numbers or anonymous texts? It's always possible that you've "blocked" something previously and now the authentication messages are being caught in the same filter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.