Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Aluminium double glazing, why?

Aluminium double glazing, why?

Old Dec 11th 2016, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aluminium double glazing, why?

When I looked at the energy certification for the house I bought, I saw that the principal improvement was to fit Aluminium double glazing for an estimated cost of 9-14K Euros. I cannot see why they would want to fit Aluminium frames.
Presently I have 2 windows with single glazed ally frames and 3 windows with wooden frames. If I touch the ally frames they are much colder than the glass, Obviously due to the ally being a very good conductor of heat. The wooden frames are warm to the touch. Maybe I am stupid but some sort of mod to add another glass sheet to the wooden windows would be useful.
As for the ally frames having them changed to wood would appear the better option. Overall though 14K is around 20 years of heating oil, what is the point, surely the recomendations in the certification should be valid and show a reasonable saving for the expenditure.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aluminium double glazing, why?

As with most things you need to work out if any changes are worth it, sounds like they are not, you can get aluminium windows with a plastic insulator in the centre so it doesn't transfer the cold/heat
Old Dec 11th 2016, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aluminium double glazing, why?

they probably recomend it because the new type of windows are super good fantastic A++ rated, where as going from the old G rated ones and spending moey to upgrade to D rated ones doesnt seem "worth it" to them.. you know, the people who write the reports and have endless pots of money